What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hansen red shirt in 2009?

Re: Hansen WILL NOT red shirt in 2009?

Just hoping anyone can answer a question honestly. Last week after the scrimmage many CU media beat writers asked T.Hansen about the possibility of applying his red-shirt to this season. Coincidentally, that is exactly what was told to T.Hansen on Saturday by the OC.

I disagree.

I'm not going to disrespect you or your sources, but I have heard the exact opposite and my sources are very close to the young man in question. The writers speculated about a redshirt, that's true. However, I do not believe that the OC discussed a redshirt with Hansen nor that he discussed it with anyone in terms of it happening. He may have had a "what if" conversation (what would you do if...?), but that's all.

There may be a miscommunication here, and unfortunately it's now blown up on a message board. I'm just going to say that this contradicts something I believe to be true. One of us is misinformed or the situation has changed. Maybe we both have half the story.

So wait - does Tyler WANT to take the redshirt?

No. He does not. He also plans to play. A lot.

This post is not meant to disrespect Tyler at all. I just want to get that out of the way first. If Tyler Hansen transfers, I think it would be a big mistake and show a lot of immaturity on his part.

Tyler does not plan to leave CU.

ya, everyone might have overreacted a weeee bit. Just a bit tho. Maybe. :wink2:

Yes, bingo on that.

Given that I haven't seen this anywhere else as coming from Hansen's mouth, I hope it doesn't start a rumor elsewhere. And if I'm dead wrong (which I doubt), and Hansen did tell someone this turn of events, it's a sad day that whoever shared the information revealed something on his behalf. If indeed such a proposal was discussed, then heaven help Hansen for it being released on a message board instead of through CU's proper channels.

And again, it would totally contradict what I was told.

So what happens if CU goes 9 and a half games into the season and Cody gets hurt and CU needs the last 2.5 games to win the North or qualify for a bowl. Do you burn Hansen's red shirt and then realize that he was denied valuable experience during the season????

I sometimes wonder about how things play out - I don't see the Buffs having a backup now that Ballenger is gone after Hansen - I hear during the off season how they want to play both to have a change of pace, now it is only Cody.

Uh, how is that any different than if CH has won the starting job and TH rides the pine...?

The QB situation has just been such a clusterf*ck in the Hawk era. I pray the coaches are doing whatever earns 10 wins and no excuses.

Guys don't question insandiego... If I'm not mistaken he is Hansen's brother? Or of some relation.

THe only way this move makes sense is if we still had Ballenger.

Guys don't question insandiego... If I'm not mistaken he is Hansen's brother? Or of some relation.

who the **** knows. whatever, Go buffs. Hope Hansen starts and kicks ****ing ass.

Riiiiight. Is this how it went down, more or less?

Hi, bro. This is your lil' brother Tyler. Yeah, the one in Colorado. Guess what, I just heard I'm going to redshirt. Can you believe it? Finally! I'm so excited to have a year where I can just relax. Yeah, sort of like last year, only they pulled the redshirt midway through, remember? Oh, yeah, and it's cool if you want to go post that on a message board. Coach doesn't care who I tell or how this info is released. Well, gotta run. Say hi to mom and dad.

... Just sayin' --- it contradicts MY direct information (and I'm not Tyler's brother, so obviously what do I know?) --- but if he's right and I'm wrong, this is a terrible way for a friend/brother/Kevin Bacon's babysitter to share information.

What about the if-Hawk-needs-to-he-can-pull-Hansen's-redshirt-9 1/2 games-into-the-season part don't people understand?

And the really freaky part is - since he clearly hasn't proven himself the starter to begin with - this works out best for TH, too?

My hunch: disinformation... and Hansen starts against CSU. :wink2:

Check that... insandiego is a family friend of the Hansens.
what I thought from his earlier postings. However, things like this tend to come out so we should know in a few days... or we will all melt down and TH will start against CSU and his family friend will get a good laugh from sending us the red herring :lol:

Just hoping anyone can answer a question honestly.
Last week after the scrimmage many CU media beat writers asked T.Hansen about the possibility of applying his red-shirt to this season. Coincidentally, that is exactly what was told to T.Hansen on Saturday by the OC.
Did the media know this was going to be an option; in other words, was it disclosed to the media before T.Hansen was told?
He really believed he earned the starting position after the past two weeks and the last scrimmage; when asked why this choice, again it came to experience. He did not expect this conversation with the OC. Understand it would be perfect if Cody manages successfully the offense with the superb running backs, strong offensive line, and excellent blocking by the full backs. CU would be victorious: T.Hansen would then have two years between he and Cody (because the QB situation is STILL slim compared to other Division I schools), and the Hawkin family will be successful (Cody will prove the naysayers he can be a 4-year Div. I QB). Unfortunately, if Cody does not do well or he is injured; CU burns another option of T.Hansen’s red-shirt year.
SO did the media guys know this was going to be the situation before T.Hansen was told?

Okay, that boils down to the two related questions asked, bolded, and an honest answer as best I can:

Just hoping anyone can answer a question honestly.
Did the media know this was going to be an option; in other words, was it disclosed to the media before T.Hansen was told?
SO did the media guys know this was going to be the situation before T.Hansen was told?

Logically, it is very unlikely this (if true that Hansen has been told he will redshirt, and I'm not buying it) was reported to the media before the player was told, and it becomes less likely (if true) that the media have known for several days and said nothing.

With Coach Hawkins carefuly guarding of what is released to the media and public, why would he suddenly reverse course and share very volatile and private decision with reporters before telling one of his QBs?

Does that really make any sense to anyone out there?

Why doesn't Hawkins just let the media sit in on position meetings and read the playbook, since they are so fabulous about keeping secrets when asked?

maybe they'll burn evans' rs this year (if they need a sub qb) and then rs him next year... that would create more separation, too, right?

Actually, I think this would muddle the situation. If Tyler (a soph) were to r/s, and Evans became the backup this year, then Evans and Hansen would both be soph's in 2010.

I see Lobato starting over Evans unless things have changed drastically. He needs a RS very badly.

A point I want to expand on. If Tyler does redshirt, who is the backup? One of 3 true frosh? Sorry, that one just doesn't make sense. Who gets mop up snaps, or enters the game when the Buffs are up by 5 td's?

I think Hansen will play this year, and prolly play alot. Nothing like making an opposing defense prepare for multiple players with different skill sets at a particular position.

I highly doubt this BS. I already have one crow thread posiibly coming so I'll just say highly unlikely considering who in the world would back up cody and with all the good reports coming out about hansen's play.

Nothing changes if he does redshirt...it is a smart move for him. He will still sit in the number two spot and only come in if absolutely necessary. why sit behind the known starter and not play. If Cody goes out for a game due to injury, the red shirt gets pulled and he is in the same situation he is in now; If not, he gets another year of eligibility and and extra year as the hands down starter.

Nothing changes if he does redshirt...it is a smart move for him. He will still sit in the number two spot and only come in if absolutely necessary. why sit behind the known starter and not play. If Cody goes out for a game due to injury, the red shirt gets pulled and he is in the same situation he is in now; If not, he gets another year of eligibility and and extra year as the hands down starter.

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Winner winner chicken dinner.

If I'm Hansen, I say redshirt. Let Cody play every game from start to finish. If any game is so far from doubt that we can let another QB play - then bring in one of the true freshmen. Hell, bring in one of the freshmen and just let him hand the ball off to one of the RB's 10 plays in a row. I seriously doubt we're going to be in too many games where the backup QB will have an opportunity to play, but nonetheless....

If Hansen isn't going to be the starter for game #1 -- redshirt. There is no reason to play 10-15 plays every game and burn another year of eligibility that way. Sit out. Take it easy. Enjoy college life. Hold the clipboard. Then come back in 2010 with 3 years of eligibility left, and a good chance to be a 3-year starter.

If I'm Hansen, I say redshirt. Let Cody play every game from start to finish. If any game is so far from doubt that we can let another QB play - then bring in one of the true freshmen. Hell, bring in one of the freshmen and just let him hand the ball off to one of the RB's 10 plays in a row. I seriously doubt we're going to be in too many games where the backup QB will have an opportunity to play, but nonetheless....

If Hansen isn't going to be the starter for game #1 -- redshirt. There is no reason to play 10-15 plays every game and burn another year of eligibility that way. Sit out. Take it easy. Enjoy college life. Hold the clipboard. Then come back in 2010 with 3 years of eligibility left, and a good chance to be a 3-year starter.

Why would you think he would have a good chance to start for 3 years if he redshirts this year?

The claim on this thread was that he lacked experience that Cody has. Would holding a clipboard improve his level of experience?

I like it!:thumbsup:

I think this philosophy should apply across the board at skill positions on O, and LBs on D: Use the frosh to fill in the depth chart and redshirt sophs, unless you're a killer talent; it especially applies to QBs though.

If Cody and TH are running equal, you give the ball to Tyler. Give him games against CSU, Wyo, and Toledo to get himself used to running that offense in game situations. His upside is much greater than Cody's.

Cody is the perfect backup QB IMO. He can come in at any point and manage this team to victory. But TH gives us a better offensive element day in, day out.

If Cody and TH are running equal, you give the ball to Tyler. Give him games against CSU, Wyo, and Toledo to get himself used to running that offense in game situations. His upside is much greater than Cody's.

Cody is the perfect backup QB IMO. He can come in at any point and manage this team to victory. But TH gives us a better offensive element day in, day out.

Dion = Neill Woelk

I agree. But I don't believe for a second that they are even. Cody has the clear advantage imo.

Why would you think he would have a good chance to start for 3 years if he redshirts this year?

The claim on this thread was that he lacked experience that Cody has. Would holding a clipboard improve his level of experience?

Hansen's play was limited in the spring and summer, due to a broken bone in his hand.

Back