1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Castor kicked a kickoff out of bounds in each game this year?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffarino, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

His kickoffs are just brutal. Why isn't Oliver kicking off?

2. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

1) Yes; 2) I don't know, same ? for Grossnickle

3. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

I think you are right about kicking off out of bounds... Can't do that! But I think they are telling him to kick it in the corner which leaves him a fine line to play with. Special teams killed us today. I think they showed a stat that said our avg starting field position was our 15 and OSU's avg start was on OUR 45. Can't win like that. No chance, not gonna happen!

4. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Don't remember it in Hawaii, but definitely in the last 3 games.

5. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

There's something drastically wrong when you're on scholarship at a so-called BCS conference school and 50% (or more?) of your kickoffs are going out of bounds (in addition to them being woefully low).

6. Tractor

Tractor Club Member Club Member

And short. Even when we kick the ball in bounds, their guy catches the ball at about the 15 and then starts to run. CU however, We catch the ball in the end zone, run it out to the 14, and then get a holding penalty.

7. o_robbie

o_robbie I don't think before I post

I would pull his scholarship at the end of the year. I would feel bad about it but I would pull it. That is how horrific he has been.

8. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

When he kicked it out of bounds at OSU (I was at the game), when he went back to the sideline, Deehan roughed him up a little and got in his face about it...

9. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I saw that on tv, but it cut away quickly. Somebody's gotta do it, & if the coaches didn't, I'm glad an experienced player did.

Kicking ob once is a mistake. Twice means you didn't learn & should be benched. If you aren't replaced forever after a third time, then the coaches are proving to be idiots. I hope the coaches aren't, and that the kicker who can't kick in bounds never sees the field again, & isn't on the roster next year.

10. BuffsNYC

BuffsNYC Uptown Club Member

We're afraid on STs, that's the problem. The coaches have no confidence in our coverage teams, so they're asking Castor and O'Neill to kick directionally, or, even worse, relying on the roll out punt. It's not working. At some point, they just have to coach up the coverage teams, let them do their thing and take the consequences. I know it's all about covering the team's deficiencies, but at this level, with these kickers, it's not working. Did I mention it's not working.

11. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

This is how it looks to me as well.

#1 - we need a kickoff kicker who can kick it inside the 10 with some good height (the long return was on a line drive). Same for punts. Let O'Neil punt like a real punter. He certainly has the leg for it.

#2 - After you do #1, coach up the coverage guys. Special teams will always suck if you never let them get better and instead of challenging them to make a play you kick the ball out of bounds.

12. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

CU has kicked OB every game. But against Cal I think it was Oliver. Castor has done it against Hawaii, CSU and OSU.

Maybe time to give Grossnickel a shot at kicking off?

13. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

I say, let's attempt onside kicks for every kickoff. At least we will have a 5-10% chance of recovering the ball.

14. zbuff

I checked the ESPN play-by-play, because I doubted you re: Hawaii. You were right on that, though, but it was Castor every game, he's 4-4 for one out-of-bounds KO each game. In the Cal game, after Castor kicked out-of-bounds, Oliver kicked the next one for a touchback, maybe that's what you remembered. Castor has kicked a fair number of toucbacks, but this out-of-bounds thing just cannot be tolerated. Oliver should have all the tee duties.

15. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Our ST and offense are so bad it's embarrasing! D isn't too bad, but they have their moments too

16. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Apparently Gross cant get any air under the ball on his kickoffs. Once/if he can can learn that he could do the kickoffs.

17. zbuff

Oliver has shown the ability to kick it into the end zone - why not just have him do it?

18. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

The official game stats show Oliver putting one OB that game, not Castor, and there have also been several posts here talking about Oliver kicking that one OB.

I think ESPiN got it wrong...

19. zbuff

SIAP - this is ugly - looking for this but found KO return stats. Nubs #1 and we're dead last at #120. But the (former) #1 team in the country is #111...

BTW, if you go up a level, the Conference stats still show a PAC-10 conference, but at least if you drill into the PAC-10 page it shows the new alignment. I was looking at SI's mobile page and they also show a PAC-10 but haven't moved us or Utah from our old conferences.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011