What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Has Hawkins Actually Developed Any Talent at CU?

NuggNinja

I saw this question posed on a blog and it really made me think. Some people are really down on Darrell Scott and Cody (to just name a few) but I'm hard pressed to think of anyone who has really gotten much better from the time they started under Hawkins to the time they finished.

Dizon and Wheatley are still the two best players to suit up under Dan...and they are Barnett guys. Hugh Charles maybe a distant 3rd best.

There have got to be examples. Off the top of my head, I can think of several guys that played well as freshmen, disappeared for a year or two for whatever reason, and then got back to their freshman level. But I'm drawing a blank on guys that really had a great linear progression. In fairness, most of the guys we could look at are just progressions from their RS-freshman to their sophomore years.

There have got to be examples. Off the top of my head, I can think of several guys that played well as freshmen, disappeared for a year or two for whatever reason, and then got back to their freshman level. But I'm drawing a blank on guys that really had a great linear progression. In fairness, most of the guys we could look at are just progressions from their RS-freshman to their sophomore years.

I would say BJ Beatty, Burton this year

Burton I'd put in the group that looked good, regressed, and then got it back.

Beatty's a good call.

I would say NO, we dont see any of them play any amount of time on the field to show the talent....

Juicebox knows only how to teach life skills and blue collar work ethics. He doesnt know shhit about how to coach up players.

Same basic gripe I had with GnuWeasel. Guys showing up on campus looking like they should be worldbeaters by the time they were upperclassmen. Just never happened.

I think it's Hawk's whole zen thing. Good for inner peace, BAD for football.

Of course Hawkins has developed talent. The names that come immediately to mind are:

Defense
- Jeff Smart
- Jimmy Smith
- Chap'pelle Brown
- Jalil Brown
- BJ Beatty
- Marcus Burton

Offense
- Ryan Miller
- Scotty McKnight
- Rodney Stewart

Where development has been the biggest issue IMO is WR, QB and DL.

Of course Hawkins has developed talent. The names that come immediately to mind are:

Defense
- Jeff Smart
- Jimmy Smith
- Chap'pelle Brown
- Jalil Brown
- BJ Beatty
- Marcus Burton

Offense
- Ryan Miller
- Scotty McKnight
- Rodney Stewart

I'd say his record is incomplete at WR. McNight has done well, but cody does ...

EDIT... does not look for anyone else.

Last edited:
Is that lack of development on Danny boy or on the assistants and position coaches?

Is that lack of development on Danny boy or on the assistants and position coaches?

Both. However, since he is the HC then it's his responsibility to get the guys in there to teach them the proper fundamentals.

Defense
- Jeff Smart
- Jimmy Smith
- Chap'pelle Brown
- Jalil Brown
- BJ Beatty
- Marcus Burton

Offense
- Ryan Miller
- Scotty McKnight
- Rodney Stewart

I would argue that Ryan Miller came in as one of the most heralded recruits around. He is in his 3rd year in the program, he should be a dominating player. He is slightly better than his first year but far from developed to his potential. Ditto for Jimmy Smith.

Defense
- Jeff Smart
- Jimmy Smith
- Chap'pelle Brown
- Jalil Brown
- BJ Beatty
- Marcus Burton

Offense
- Ryan Miller
- Scotty McKnight
- Rodney Stewart

I really don't think any of those players would start for Texas or OU, or even see significant playing time.

I really don't think any of those players would start for Texas or OU, or even see significant playing time.

Cha'pelle would as a nickelback. He's a good player. Speedy could play for anyone. I think you know this. When you take into account the handicap of the line he's running behind he's played lights out. Miller is a giant so he'd probably get some PT just based on that.

Back