What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Has Jon Embree's behavior today damaged the University and football program?

There's an expectation to behave as a professional at that level. Even at more junior levels, but especially at the HC level.

A departing head coach should make a statement in a manner that minimizes the personal emotion and emphasizes the student athletes and the program.

I watched nearly every game this season, and have never personally witness a more tragically coached team. It wasn't youth and a lack of on field leadership (those were factors, of course), it was bad coaching, and it was apparent.

Time to move on.

With Embree's display of "bad" (ne, horrible) coaching all year, why would you expect his departing actions to differ in style from
his extremely poor coaching?

Best to rid ourselves of this deadwood now, so we can truly move on.

That's fair. It was an interesting debate, whether or not to keep Embo. I think at the end of the day, you let him get a couple (2-3) full classes in (ignore the ratings, because that means nothing) and see what he's able to do with his own guys. He wasn't given that chance and that, in my opinion, is a shame. What made be come back here and post again was the reaction for what Embree said today. I thought it was great. It was honest, raw and graceful. He held his tongue at times, but mostly was candid and made some really important points about flaws in our program. To say that he hurt the program today is ludicrous.

When you are competing with Idaho for recruits, I tend to not ignore the ratings. We were in danger of losing the few recruits that were recieving BCS offers. Something had to be done before we were worse off than we were with DH. JE doesnt have the ability, or the staff to overcome a talent disparity, and that was proven in our non-con games where we should have had the advantage. When you are losing to **** teams, you had better be lights out recruiting for the future. That wasnt the case.

Really the point I'm trying to make here isn't about whether or not he should have been fired. It's over. I'm trying to let most of you know that you are behaving like clowns. I've seen stuff on this board today such as...

"You are all dead to me. you are no longer welcome in my CU football memories. you are CU public enemies number 1.

Consider your Buff card revoked, Jon!

Reminds me of a high school chick going ape **** to anyone who will listen

'Embo Camp' was very aggressive with other media members to mold the narrative

Seriously? This guy fought for the same cause you are trying to preserve. Grow up, realize that this man just lost his chance at his dream job, and move forward.

Really the point I'm trying to make here isn't about whether or not he should have been fired. It's over. I'm trying to let most of you know that you are behaving like clowns. I've seen stuff on this board today such as...

"You are all dead to me. you are no longer welcome in my CU football memories. you are CU public enemies number 1.

Consider your Buff card revoked, Jon!

Reminds me of a high school chick going ape **** to anyone who will listen

'Embo Camp' was very aggressive with other media members to mold the narrative

Seriously? This guy fought for the same cause you are trying to preserve. Grow up, realize that this man just lost his chance at his dream job, and move forward.

Are you over? You keep saying you are, but you are still here.

See, this is the thing. You're asking us (allbuffs posters) to do something (grow up & move forward) that you're not asking them (Embo supporters) to do. If the advice is good enough for us, it's good enough for them...

See, this is the thing. You're asking us (allbuffs posters) to do something (grow up & move forward) that you're not asking them (Embo supporters) to do. If the advice is good enough for us, it's good enough for them...

I'm just asking you show Embree a little respect. That's all.

The university has damaged itself and it's football program by not providing a sufficient number of chairs in the meeting rooms.

I will agree with you on that. I sort of give Embree a pass for today - although he should have known himself better than to do the media tour this afternoon. I think he'll realize that was a mistake to do so soon - and I could be wrong, but I bet he even apologizes for it at some point.

The others - no, they don't get a pass. They should have been grown ups; they had no excuse.

Stop beclowning yourself. Respect is earned, not purchased or inherited!

Embree earned nothing by his two year performance on the field or by his blubbering, race-card pulling, blame game: It was everybody but me who caused this!

Stop beclowning yourself. Respect is earned, not purchased or inherited!

Embree earned nothing by his two year performance on the field or by his blubbering, race-card pulling, blame game: It was everybody but me who caused this!

He didn't earn your respect by the way he played for the University of Colorado? How he chose CU over top football programs at a point when the program was down? You haven't been paying much attention. He took accountability when he needed to. Race-card pulling??? He was asked a question, and he responded with facts about how african-americans don't get second chances. But I'll stop before I beclown myself too badly.

I will agree with you on that. I sort of give Embree a pass for today - although he should have known himself better than to do the media tour this afternoon. I think he'll realize that was a mistake to do so soon - and I could be wrong, but I bet he even apologizes for it at some point.

The others - no, they don't get a pass. They should have been grown ups; they had no excuse.

Wrong. He does not deserve a pass. Horrible showing today. He must be an Earl Bruce fan....trashing his employer on the way out. Completely unprofessional. Inexcusable. I hope he can find a job as a TE coach in the NFL.....not much better than that....

He didn't earn your respect by the way he played for the University of Colorado? How he chose CU over top football programs at a point when the program was down? You haven't been paying much attention. He took accountability when he needed to. Race-card pulling??? He was asked a question, and he responded with facts about how african-americans don't get second chances. But I'll stop before I beclown myself too badly.

Too late.

As an outsider, it wasn't so much Embree(he was obviously just speaking on emotion) as mush as Bohn. The vibe I get is "that's you AD?, still??"

Sparky I think you're creating good dialogue.
Everyone here has complained endlessly about the admin and not supporting the program. Embree brought a lot of that out today in his presser and subsequent interviews. I'm glad he did it. At some point they had to. Things have to change, if you want to be credible in the Pac 12.
The admin has been the problem and the move the Pac 12 necessitates either investing in football or not. Whether Embree could get there we'll never know.
Here is an article from when Washington hired Neuheisel.
Here is a quote:
"This is the place where I could realize all my goals as a college football coach." The former UCLA quarterback said it was exciting for him to be back in the Pac-10 and called Washington a " 'have' program" that will always be a "have." "At Colorado it was difficult-not impossible-to get things moving. It was slow, arduous," he explained.

Here is the full article.
http://www.washington.edu/alumni/columns/march99/impact.html

Everyone here has complained endlessly about the admin and not supporting the program. Embree brought a lot of that out today in his presser and subsequent interviews. I'm glad he did it. At some point they had to. Things have to change, if you want to be credible in the Pac 12.
The admin has been the problem and the move the Pac 12 necessitates either investing in football or not. Whether Embree could get there we'll never know.
Here is a quote:
"This is the place where I could realize all my goals as a college football coach." The former UCLA quarterback said it was exciting for him to be back in the Pac-10 and called Washington a " 'have' program" that will always be a "have." "At Colorado it was difficult-not impossible-to get things moving. It was slow, arduous," he explained.

I actually agree. The questions raised were valid and good. I hope that the spotlight on the program forces them to prioritize football. I didn't approve of how those questions were asked, or how Embree acted, or how the 'media' around here went after Bohn with so much venom.

I don't fault Embree for the presser. I actually don't fault him for anything he said on the radio this afternoon. I think he will regret some of what he said. I do fault him for not "knowing himself" better, and realizing that if he went on the air that he would say things he would later regret. But that's probably part of the "learning on the job" that he never got to.

Here is a quote:

Thanks, a lot of my point is that embree may have done the school a big favor by bringing up the shortcomings of its athletic department.

Embo is a good guy. Today was too soon for a presser. He is clearly emotional and torn-up over this. I don't fault him for being emotional and I don't feel like he played the race card. Having said that, he should have stopped talking after the press conference. As for Klatt, Al and CJ, they don't have an excuse for their behavior.

Anyone who questions whether Embo should have been fired is not thinking rationally, is biased, or is simply dumb. We were not just a bad football team this year, we were awful on a historic level. One of the worst BCS conference teams in the history of the BCS. The incoming class is not good (as it stands now). The staff can't recruit blue-chip in-state prospects. The current state of the program is so bad that I felt numerous times this season that Embo should resign for the sake of the school and program he dearly loves/d. I wish Embo the best, but this HAD to happen.

I don't fault Embree for the presser. I actually don't fault him for anything he said on the radio this afternoon. I think he will regret some of what he said. I do fault him for not "knowing himself" better, and realizing that if he went on the air that he would say things he would later regret. But that's probably part of the "learning on the job" that he never got to.

That part takes at least three years to learn.

I fault him, totally. He was awful. I hope the message he sent is to not hire a black coach because, if you do, and you fire him, you are, what?

Last edited:
Back