What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Has Jon Embree's behavior today damaged the University and football program?

Everything that Embree talked about was very trivial and minor, but all of it adds up to time spent not coaching football or recruiting.

When Bo Schembechler took over the Michigan program, his assisstants would complain about the poor state of the program and facilities(and they were in bad shape). One coach was hanging his coat up complaining about their offices and Schembeckler said "These coat hooks were the same ones Fritz Crisler used, if they were good enough for him they are good enough for us" A real coach motivates and gets his team to look past things like that.

Last edited:
He may have not had much success on the scoreboard, but he still knows a little bit about college football, more than you are I.

In fairness, that would even be true of Romeo Bandison.

But it doesn't take an expert to recognize a botched job. I don't know the first thing about how to properly lay a roof, but I know if there's water dripping inside my house after the repair guy's gone. :smile2:

When Bo Schembechler took over the Michigan program, his assisstants would complain about the poor state of the program. One coach was hanging his coat up complaining about their offices and Schembeckler said "These coat hooks were the same ones Fritz Crisler used, if they were good enough for him they are good enough for us" A real coach motivates and gets his team to look past things like that.

Hey he still took the job, he wanted to motivate and and get to his team and look past things like that. He just hoped that Bohn, knowing CU doesn't have what a lot of pac-12 schools have in terms of facilities and amenities, would give him some time.

Hey he still took the job, he wanted to motivate and and get to his team and look past things like that. He just hoped that Bohn, knowing CU doesn't have what a lot of pac-12 schools have in terms of facilities and amenities, would give him some time.

And Bohn hoped that Embree wouldn't somehow make CU worse than they were under Hawk - aka the worst team in the country, and the worst team in CU history

While I do not think Embree did himself any favors and I would hope I would have handled the pressed better than he did (notice I said I hope I would), I am most upset about the press handling and reaction to the situation. They are not interested in what is best for CU or talking constructively about what has been done right or wrong. The interviewers put Embree in a position where they could take advantage of his emotional personality and goad him into responses that they know will further their agenda. I think Jon should have been more honest about his failings but the real problem is the out of control media personalities.

unfortunately, these media personalities are going to be more interested in tearing down the program to get at Bohn than in reporting on any progress that takes place. We thought that CU had a media relations issue with no or little coverage in the past, now we are going to have several groups that are going to go out of their way to drag the program thru the mud any chance they get. Not excited about this turn of events with the media.

It's real simple sparky, you just don't want to see it cause you are butt hurt with your heels dug in. Oh wait....never mind, we are just a bunch of stupid clowns tonight.

And Bohn hoped that Embree wouldn't somehow make CU worse than they were under Hawk - aka the worst team in the country, and the worst team in CU history

Well, were they the worst team in CU history? Debatable. The McCartney coached 1984 edition might have something to say about that. But I'm not really arguing about whether or not he should have been fired. The true disgrace to the face of this football program and university was Mike Bohn, and his sad, 1970's management buzzword uttering performance today. We didn't have enough synergy or headwinds? That's garbage.

I don't doubt his heart is in the right place, but he was out of his depth. He was learning on the job (as well as the assistants), and you can't do that at a major university, especially one that is trying to get back into the mix. You do that a smaller division team, a Youngstown, a Louisiana Lafayette. Ultimately, every coach is held accountable for their record. Sometimes it is fair, sometimes it is not. But like all of us, he was judged by the results, and they were found wanting.

Well, were they the worst team in CU history? Debatable. The McCartney coached 1984 edition might have something to say about that. But I'm not really arguing about whether or not he should have been fired. The true disgrace to the face of this football program and university was Mike Bohn, and his sad, 1970's management buzzword uttering performance today. We didn't have enough synergy or headwinds? That's garbage.

I think he was trying not to say any derogatory things about Embree, and speaking to the media probably isn't a strength so it came out like bland corporate speak. Not his finest moment, but at least he kept it together. It would have been worse if he started talking about Embree's issues.

I think it is completely unfair to put this on Embree. If I got fired, hell, I would tell anyone around me to go **** themselves and I work in a **** job that certainly doesn't qualify as my dream. As I have mentioned before Embree agreeing to do interviews and going to this press conference is all part of his poor judgement(Bohn's as well). To ask everyone to be Cody or Dan Hawkins and go out with such grace and respect is astonishing unintuitive.

I think he was trying not to say any derogatory things about Embree, and speaking to the media probably isn't a strength so it came out like bland corporate speak. Not his finest moment, but at least he kept it together. It would have been worse if he started talking about Embree's issues.

You're probably right, but he was unusually bad. Made Embree so much more of a sympathetic figure.

What was so bad about Jon's behavior today, exactly?

How about his response to being asked if the next coach can win at CU?

"Snort. Snort. Sigh. (long pause). How much time does he have?"

Yeah, way to support the program and the University Jon. Because you couldn't win here, imply that nobody can.

Yup. Let's blame the media. If anything it's finally calling out Colorado for a ****** football program for the last 7-10 years. You have Embree calling out the admin for no support. You have Embree supporters calling out the admin for not supporting him. Then to top it off you have those that support the decision calling out those Embree supporters.
This is great fodder and brings attention to the real issues. The admin.
Now is the time we'll see if the school is serious about football or not.

I used to be in TV and then radio. When on-air talent was let go, they were usually not allowed to go back on the air. Occasionally a figure who was well known could be trusted to handle themselves well...but the conventional wisdom was that you were putting the station at risk by giving a fired employee a platform to rip management.

So, when I look at the press conference fallout, I wonder what Bohn was thinking. Jon's an emotional guy. He just lost his dream job. His players were in the room (!) this was a disaster waiting to happen. As several people have said here: just wait a few days (or don't do it at all. Is it mandatory? It might be...I don't know...but if not, it might have been worth just quietly saying goodbye). I think Bohn misread the situation, and just probably wanted to get this done so he could move forward and be done the the Embree era...and it backfired. Is this the way more Savvy programs would have handled it?

For the record, I think Jon had to go. But the way this presser was set up reminded me of how the Buffs looked on the field this year: disorganized, not well thought out and primed for trouble. And yes, it's upsetting to see so many people (like Joel Klatt) making as big of a deal about this as he is. What does he think this will do? The deal has gone down. What point does all the kicking and screaming serve? What's his goal? I understand he's mad...but is there anything at work here besides raw emotion? He's hurting the next guy's chances to enter into as good of a situation as we can set up for him.

In short...(and sorry for rambling) this could have, and should have been handled better. Did Bohn talk to Embree beforehand to make sure they were on the same page before going out there? It looked totally improvised...

Reactions: dio
How about his response to being asked if the next coach can win at CU?

"Snort. Snort. Sigh. (long pause). How much time does he have?"

Yeah, way to support the program and the University Jon. Because you couldn't win here, imply that nobody can.

You don't see how he would have been upset about being told he was "in it for the long haul" and then had the rug pulled out under him by Bohn? He's trying to make a point to our clueless administration: it takes time to rebuild, especially given how much rebuilding we have to do.

You don't see how he would have been upset about being told he was "in it for the long haul" and then had the rug pulled out under him by Bohn? He's trying to make a point to our clueless administration: it takes time to rebuild, especially given how much rebuilding we have to do.
so you admit he didn't handle it well and hurt the university. Good. now that you've stopped with the denial, the healing can begin.

I used to be in TV and then radio. When on-air talent was let go, they were usually not allowed to go back on the air. Occasionally a figure who was well known could be trusted to handle themselves well...but the conventional wisdom was that you were putting the station at risk by giving a fired employee a platform to rip management.

So, when I look at the press conference fallout, I wonder what Bohn was thinking. Jon's an emotional guy. He just lost his dream job. His players were in the room (!) this was a disaster waiting to happen. As several people have said here: just wait a few days (or don't do it at all. Is it mandatory? It might be...I don't know...but if not, it might have been worth just quietly saying goodbye). I think Bohn misread the situation, and just probably wanted to get this done so he could move forward and be done the the Embree era...and it backfired. Is this the way more Savvy programs would have handled it?

For the record, I think Jon had to go. But the way this presser was set up reminded me of how the Buffs looked on the field this year: disorganized, not well thought out and primed for trouble. And yes, it's upsetting to see so many people (like Joel Klatt) making as big of a deal about this as he is. What does he think this will do? The deal has gone down. What point does all the kicking and screaming serve? What's his goal? I understand he's mad...but is there anything at work here besides raw emotion? He's hurting the next guy's chances to enter into as good of a situation as we can set up for him.

In short...(and sorry for rambling) this could have, and should have been handled better. Did Bohn talk to Embree beforehand to make sure they were on the same page before going out there? It looked totally improvised...

I agree with everything you've posted here. Nice post. Rep delivered.

One thing, re: Klatt - there is a cadre within Buffs4Life which is going to make it their mission to take down Mike Bohn - that is why we have all the kicking and screaming today

So Embree's comment was good for the university? It was professional? It was meant to help the university?

It ultimately helps the university because it is constructive criticism, basically saying, with an understandably bitter tone, this is what i got, it was a raw deal, i hope you give the next guy more. But what i can't figure out is why all of you act like his job was to "help the university" today. He got fired today, after two years, and was lied to by a snake. Put yourselves in his shoes!! Would you not have acted similarly. I loved his press conference today, thought it was great. Mike Bohn needs to figure out how to galvanize the headwinds soon, cause he's running out of time.

I think it goes without saying that CU is in it for the long haul - see last coach. What should also go without saying is that if you are so incredibly horrible, you might get canned in 2 years. Don't lose to D2 teams and this can be avoided.

I think it goes without saying that CU is in it for the long haul - see last coach. What should also go without saying is that if you are so incredibly horrible, you might get canned in 2 years. Don't lose to D2 teams and this can be avoided.

I seem to remember Embree's predecessor losing to a D2 team and he wasn't fired in 2 years.

Honestly, who cares what Jon Embree thinks? He's a loser. He went 4-21 as head coach of the University of Colorado football team. :violin:

Any coach worth hiring is laughing at Embree's breakdown today, and instead believes that he can lead CU to greatness. Let's move on.

:gobuffs:

Honestly, who cares what Jon Embree thinks? He's a loser. He went 4-21 as head coach of the University of Colorado football team. :violin:

Any coach worth hiring is laughing at Embree's breakdown today, and instead believes that he can lead CU to greatness. Let's move on.

:gobuffs:

Our next coach was assuredly not watching that press conference. That disastrous presser would be enough to scare anyone off.

I seem to remember Embree's predecessor losing to a D2 team and he wasn't fired in 2 years.

His predecessor also cost significantly more money, beat the #2 team in the country, and went to a bowl game in his second year. For all hawk did wrong, his teams did not lose consistently by 30+pts and his teams were not in the bottom of every statistical category in the BCS.

I still cant believe MB is going to walk away from this unscathed. The press conference was embarrassing.

He has managed to divide the fanbase even further with some of his comments during the PC.

I will always be a proud Buff fan, but it's really hard to really see where this program is heading. Especially with MB at the helm.

I still cant believe MB is going to walk away from this unscathed. The press conference was embarrassing.

He has managed to divide the fanbase even further with some of his comments during the PC.

I will always be a proud Buff fan, but it's really hard to really see where this program is heading. Especially with MB at the helm.

Just now talking to a friend, I think that MB is getting a chance to hire a 3rd coach cuz the 2nd wasn't his choice. Some of the stuff coming out today makes me think Mike did not want to make the hire he ultimately ended up making.

Back