What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Has Jon Embree's behavior today damaged the University and football program?

I seem to remember Embree's predecessor losing to a D2 team and he wasn't fired in 2 years.

Division I-AA. Anyways, Embree's predecessor wasn't as uncompetitive as Embree was this year. And in his second year, Hawkins got CU to their last bowl game. No reason to fire Hawk two years into his contract

I've been a bit of an Embree apologist, and was firmly on the fence about whether he should have been fired or not. Would have been fine if they had brought him back for one more year.

I do think that the decision should have been made right away Friday. There was no reason to draw this out any longer then it needed to be. They've had weeks to think about it, after all.

Embree didn't help matters today, but the press conference itself was so badly organized and such an epic fail, you would think Bohn was planning amateur hour. As bad as this season was, Bohn's comments today were about as damaging as our performance on the field. I think this is the first press conference I've ever heard with Bohn (I'm sure they're important and stuff, but usually not something I'd be interested in watching)... always hear from CU fans how he's such a bad AD, and never really understood what the issue was

Now I know

I still cant believe MB is going to walk away from this unscathed. The press conference was embarrassing.

He has managed to divide the fanbase even further with some of his comments during the PC.

I will always be a proud Buff fan, but it's really hard to really see where this program is heading. Especially with MB at the helm.

I really don't see what the issue about how Bohn handled the press conference is

Just now talking to a friend, I think that MB is getting a chance to hire a 3rd coach cuz the 2nd wasn't his choice. Some of the stuff coming out today makes me think Mike did not want to make the hire he ultimately ended up making.

Possibly. It's hard to see these things when there's so many stories out there.

I hope I'm wrong, and wish MB all the luck in the world with his next HC decision.

I hope the university allows mike to make his own decision with his departments money. I still do not understand why Benson or DiStephano have any say in this matter...

I hope the university allows mike to make his own decision with his departments money. I still do not understand why Benson or DiStephano have any say in this matter...

Usually I'd agree with you but if Benson or DiStefano aren't there to hit the breaks when Mike starts to swerve into oncoming traffic, I'm afraid we'll have quite the accident on our hands...

No ****. I thought the same thing when PDS started talking. It's clear they don't trust MB. At least imo.

Usually I'd agree with you but if Benson or DiStefano aren't there to hit the breaks when Mike starts to swerve into oncoming traffic, I'm afraid we'll have quite the accident on our hands...

Hit the breaks on what? On his spending? Mike Bohn turned a PROFIT in a year when we had 0 TV revenue. The basketball program is thriving under Bohn's leadership because the admin left him to it. They can't keep their hands off of football though for whatever reason. I say give him a shot at running things on his own. We can't get any worse.

Mike has a lot of damage control to do in these following weeks(after the hire of course). We need to unite the fan base. If we don't, it will negatively effect the new head coach.

Hit the breaks on what? On his spending? Mike Bohn turned a PROFIT in a year when we had 0 TV revenue. The basketball program is thriving under Bohn's leadership because the admin left him to it. They can't keep their hands off of football though for whatever reason. I say give him a shot at running things on his own. We can't get any worse.

It was a metaphor for when he starts to make a potentially bad decision because, while I think he is generally a good guy, he is not bright enough to make the decisions necessary to run an athletic department. Listen to how he talks for two seconds and that becomes quite plain.

you think, from an alignment, trajectory and synergy standpoint, a change was needed?

OMG. Bohn sounds like a bureaucrat we get it. He is one for goodness sake. He is supposed to use words like synergy and trajectory and alignment. Ya its fun to make fun of but he was trying to skirt around the uncomfortable situation that was today. He was trying to let embree out with class and not throw him under the bus. It backfired apparently.

This dept needs a dynamic (ooh good word eh?) fundraiser. I think that, as well as hiring quality HC's, is the most important quality you need from your AD.

OMG. Bohn sounds like a bureaucrat we get it. He is one for goodness sake. He is supposed to use words like synergy and trajectory and alignment. Ya its fun to make fun of but he was trying to skirt around the uncomfortable situation that was today. He was trying to let embree out with class and not throw him under the bus. It backfired apparently.

I'd be okay with his diction if he knew what he was actually saying. He sounds like a high schooler trying to memorize SAT buzzwords.

This dept needs a dynamic (ooh good word eh?) fundraiser. I think that, as well as hiring quality HC's, is the most important quality you need from your AD.
You forgot to mention the synergy needed within the fan base to drive that dynamic fundraiser. We have to get everyone aligned on the same trajectory.

I used to be in TV and then radio. When on-air talent was let go, they were usually not allowed to go back on the air. Occasionally a figure who was well known could be trusted to handle themselves well...but the conventional wisdom was that you were putting the station at risk by giving a fired employee a platform to rip management.

So, when I look at the press conference fallout, I wonder what Bohn was thinking. Jon's an emotional guy. He just lost his dream job. His players were in the room (!) this was a disaster waiting to happen. As several people have said here: just wait a few days (or don't do it at all. Is it mandatory? It might be...I don't know...but if not, it might have been worth just quietly saying goodbye). I think Bohn misread the situation, and just probably wanted to get this done so he could move forward and be done the the Embree era...and it backfired. Is this the way more Savvy programs would have handled it?

For the record, I think Jon had to go. But the way this presser was set up reminded me of how the Buffs looked on the field this year: disorganized, not well thought out and primed for trouble. And yes, it's upsetting to see so many people (like Joel Klatt) making as big of a deal about this as he is. What does he think this will do? The deal has gone down. What point does all the kicking and screaming serve? What's his goal? I understand he's mad...but is there anything at work here besides raw emotion? He's hurting the next guy's chances to enter into as good of a situation as we can set up for him.

In short...(and sorry for rambling) this could have, and should have been handled better. Did Bohn talk to Embree beforehand to make sure they were on the same page before going out there? It looked totally improvised...

I think the outgoing press conference is supposed to be a courtesy to the coach - let them have one more chance to address the media as head coach. As you said, in TV/Radio only certain on-air talents were afforded the opportunity to go on one last time. I don't blame Bohn for affording Embree the opportunity to address the media one last time - he is a former player and very loyal to the university - at the same time you've gotta think that what unfolded was the worst case scenario for Bohn.

Instead of going through the cliche motions of thanking the university for the opportunity, JE went up there and criticized the organization and played the sympathy card. Worst part is, a lot of the Johnny-come-lately media who never sat through a 55-0 first half were totally eating it up - distraught players, crying family. Then you've got the Embree loyalists, led by Joel Klatt, who are parading around their media credentials making the case that Bohn is the problem (which may ultimately be the case, but frankly doesn't discount the performance of Embree)... So, to the random outsider, of course they're going to believe what a former Buff QB/DE tells them on the radio. Buff Nation is divided for the time being and the press conference didn't help anything.

But was it Bohn's fault for hoping that JE would go out without torching the place? Maybe. He probably should have found a way out of the press conference in retrospect - but it's hard to blame him for wanting to face everything head on.

Last edited:
I seem to remember Embree's predecessor losing to a D2 team and he wasn't fired in 2 years.

Because he beat CSU, Nebraska, and Oklahoma in his second year. He went to a bowl game in his second year. Where the hell do you guys get the comparison stuff? Hawk was looking a million times better after his second year.

Because he beat CSU, Nebraska, and Oklahoma in his second year. He went to a bowl game in his second year. Where the hell do you guys get the comparison stuff? Hawk was looking a million times better after his second year.

He had better players that he inherited from a better coach, but lets not let facts get in the way of a good argument!

He had better players that he inherited from a better coach, but lets not let facts get in the way of a good argument!

2-10 to 6-7 with win's over a #2 Oklahoma, CSU, and archrival Nebraska. He may have had better players I will giver you that. I honestly am not sure Hawk's downfall was the coaching aspect as much as it was he couldn't recruit for ****. He was totally overwhelmed when it came to the speed and athleticism that is required at the major D1 level. His style of recruiting that worked at BSU does not work at this level.

That does not even remotely change the fact that there was not a single reason to fire him at that time, whereas the coach of a team that went 1-11, lost to a FCS school, failed to win a home game and ranked #120 in both offense and defense would be fired by virtually any school in the country.

And I'm pretty sure that had Hawkins had that resume' at that point and been fired for it, you would not have been all over here portraying him as an innocent victim in the whole deal...

Back