What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hate on me, but I don't think we deserve or should go to the dance

I don't know if they deserve it or not. In a stronger, deeper bubble they probably wouldn't make it. As it is, I'm not really impressed with CU's overall resume but they have the computer numbers and SOS behind them.

I still will be pretty nervous on Selection Sunday if we lose the next two by double digits, win one Pac 12 tourney game, lose to a top 4 seed by double digits again. Oregon and ASU are really the only quality wins in conference play.
Agree with this, but I don't think margin of victory especially in the Pac-12 Tourney really matters. I think movement for those games is even by more limited than the regular season as the committee is already working on a draft of the bubble at that point.

I don't know if they deserve it or not. In a stronger, deeper bubble they probably wouldn't make it. As it is, I'm not really impressed with CU's overall resume but they have the computer numbers and SOS behind them.

I still will be pretty nervous on Selection Sunday if we lose the next two by double digits, win one Pac 12 tourney game, lose to a top 4 seed by double digits again. Oregon and ASU are really the only quality wins in conference play.

Are we any kind of threat to go deep into the tourney? Absolutely not, we are not a good team at the moment.

With that in mind the format of the tourney is set up to include 68 teams. A bunch of those teams will be autoqualifiers from smaller conferences, some will be autoqualifiers from major conferences. The question is do we belong in the remainding group. Based on our overall record including some quality wins we have a pretty good argument that we deserve a slot.

The NIT used to mean something but any more it just means that a major conference team is mediocre. NIT appearances don't do a program like ours much good with either recruits or with donors.

If we don't get a bit to the tourney then the NIT may be a chance to give our young guys a little bit of tourney type experience but even a 1 and done in the dance is much better than a deep run in the NIT, which the way we are playing wouldn't be a sure bet.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to argue that the NIT would be preferable to the NCAA tourney. It wouldn't be, but if CU made the NIT, I would hope they had a long run and got some experience.

Are we any kind of threat to go deep into the tourney? Absolutely not, we are not a good team at the moment.

With that in mind the format of the tourney is set up to include 68 teams. A bunch of those teams will be autoqualifiers from smaller conferences, some will be autoqualifiers from major conferences. The question is do we belong in the remainding group. Based on our overall record including some quality wins we have a pretty good argument that we deserve a slot.

The NIT used to mean something but any more it just means that a major conference team is mediocre. NIT appearances don't do a program like ours much good with either recruits or with donors.

If we don't get a bit to the tourney then the NIT may be a chance to give our young guys a little bit of tourney type experience but even a 1 and done in the dance is much better than a deep run in the NIT, which the way we are playing wouldn't be a sure bet.
We're not a threat at all, but anything can happen in a single elimination tourney. The very nature of the tourney helps a team like CU moreso than the favorite, which would benefit moreso from a multi-game series or double elimination.

Agree with this, but I don't think margin of victory especially in the Pac-12 Tourney really matters. I think movement for those games is even by more limited than the regular season as the committee is already working on a draft of the bubble at that point.

Yeah, I dunno how closely all that is looked at. Do think they'll look at who CU beat post Dinwiddie injury and other then ASU it is really slim pickings. Another win before Vegas, would solidify their chances a lot. Really thought they'd have a good chance of going into Utah and getting a win, especially after the tough game against Zona.

We're not a threat at all, but anything can happen in a single elimination tourney. The very nature of the tourney helps a team like CU moreso than the favorite, which would benefit moreso from a multi-game series or double elimination.

Exactly. Florida Gulf Coast wasn't a threat to even be competitive in their first game, let alone reach the Sweet 16.

Yes, CU could end up with a favorable match-up and win an opening round game, get very lucky and teams worse than us have won two.

That said the way we are playing we are most likely to end up as a 1 and out, which still in the long run means more that what we might accomplish in the NIT. You can't underestimate the value of having people referring to CU as having 3 straight tourney appearances.

Exactly. Florida Gulf Coast wasn't a threat to even be competitive in their first game, let alone reach the Sweet 16.
Yep the longer the series, the less likely they beat Georgetown. A lot easier to win one game (on a neutral court nonetheless) than win multiple games within a short period of time.

Yes, CU could end up with a favorable match-up and win an opening round game, get very lucky and teams worse than us have won two.

That said the way we are playing we are most likely to end up as a 1 and out, which still in the long run means more that what we might accomplish in the NIT. You can't underestimate the value of having people referring to CU as having 3 straight tourney appearances.
And it should be four. But the point is they've been very competitive (by CU standards) for four years now.

probably looking at the #7 seed and a date with Oregon State, if we can't get a win at stanford or cal

Who do you see pushing us to 7? Washington or Utah I'm guessing?

Washington, yeah. They split with Stanford, so likely win the tiebreaker over us if we don't pick up another win in conference play.

Utah would have to win another game to be in the same position imo.

No, it's ridiculous to suggest that Tad doesn't understand basic basketball strategy.

Jawohl. "Understand" was the wrong word in frustration of yet another long scoreless run. "Failure to implement/adjust" is what I should have said.

Washington, yeah. They split with Stanford, so likely win the tiebreaker over us if we don't pick up another win in conference play.

Utah would have to win another game to be in the same position imo.

It goes all the way down to Stanford with Washington/CU tiebreaker? Jeez. It does seem Washington will get 9 wins. Yikes. God we need a win.

Edit: Huskies did get swept by Cal if they can finish above Furd (Cal has tiebreaker on Furd assuming Furd doesn't win @ Zona).

Oregon State REALLY needs to be avoided. Beavs are so much better than USC/Wazzu it's not even funny. More than capable of beating a CU squad playing nervous.

Last edited:
I definitely think he deserves some criticism. Can't allow a NIT team to go on a 23-2 run on you

I made a poor choice of wording implying he didn't "understand" we can't score 2 points in 12 minutes and expect our D to grind that out and bring us wins. However, my frustration of 4 years of this particular issue has been known (I've been voicing it for a long time). No one needs to respond telling me where we were before he took over. I know. I don't want the guy fired for Christ's sake, I just haven't seen much (if any) development and growth on this issue in 4 years. It's clear we need some sort of Plan B instead of refusing to call timeouts to attempt to stop bleeding and cool the opposition off.

It goes all the way down to Stanford with Washington/CU tiebreaker? Jeez. It does seem Washington will get 9 wins. Yikes. God we need a win.

Edit: Huskies did get swept by Cal if they can finish above Furd (Cal has tiebreaker on Furd assuming Furd doesn't win @ Zona).

Oregon State REALLY needs to be avoided. Beavs are so much better than USC/Wazzu it's not even funny. More than capable of beating a CU squad playing nervous.

I think it would go down to Stanford, assuming CU loses to Cal and Stanford. I think it goes off of winning percentage starting at the top and working your way down. But maybe going 0-1 against a team would give you a tiebreaker over someone going 0-2 against that same team. Wouldn't think it would work that way tho.

Definitely need a win to solidify their chances imo. Stanford is certainly beatable, but defense is going to have to play great for 40 minutes to pull it off.

I think it would go down to Stanford, assuming CU loses to Cal and Stanford. I think it goes off of winning percentage starting at the top and working your way down. But maybe going 0-1 against a team would give you a tiebreaker over someone going 0-2 against that same team. Wouldn't think it would work that way tho.

Definitely need a win to solidify their chances imo. Stanford is certainly beatable, but defense is going to have to play great for 40 minutes to pull it off.

Yeah, I think you're right. We are on the verge of making things really hard on ourselves. Plus, finishing 7th behind a Washington squad that isn't remotely sniffing the Dance would not be a good look. Glad we played the schedule "game" perfectly, because other than our RPI of 30 and a weak bubble (which are both huge for us) , I struggle to find many positives. I hope the lackluster performance today isn't a result of a mindset amongst the team that they're basically in. A program like CU with little history and being largely invisible in the East is a higher risk to get screwed.

Yeah, I think you're right. We are on the verge of making things really hard on ourselves. Plus, finishing 7th behind a Washington squad that isn't remotely sniffing the Dance would not be a good look. Glad we played the schedule "game" perfectly, because other than our RPI of 30 and a weak bubble (which are both huge for us) , I struggle to find many positives. I hope the lackluster performance today isn't a result of a mindset amongst the team that they're basically in. A program like CU with little history and being largely invisible in the East is a higher risk to get screwed.

I kind of see it the other way....they are worried so much about trying to get into the tournament that they are playing way too tight. They need to relax a little and just play basketball instead of trying to make every game the game that gets them into the tournament.

Wondering if this crazy thread of mine wasn't so far off. We looked like dogs*t. That was embarrassing on a national stage. Totally exposed our faults. I am back to wondering if this year we would have gotten more out of the NIT and looking a little better than that. Although maybe the egg on our face will help change some of our strategy including recruiting a sharp shooter.

Wondering if this crazy thread of mine wasn't so far off. We looked like dogs*t. That was embarrassing on a national stage. Totally exposed our faults. I am back to wondering if this year we would have gotten more out of the NIT and looking a little better than that. Although maybe the egg on our face will help change some of our strategy including recruiting a sharp shooter.

no.

Being #68 is better than being #69 any day.

Your post was ****ing stupid. CU's resume undoubtedly deserved to Dance and being here and losing is far better than the alternative. It's not even worthy of debate

CU deserved to be in the dance. CU's resume says they belonged there.

The problem was not CU not belonging, it was CU not playing at the level they should have.

Pitt is a good but not great team, CU is a good but not great team. One team showed up today and played well, one didn't.

The problem is not if CU should have been there but rather what did CU do when they got there.

Your post was ****ing stupid. CU's resume undoubtedly deserved to Dance and being here and losing is far better than the alternative. It's not even worthy of debate
Shockingly, I agree with this aggressively mean but factually correct post.

Back