1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have to be honest, our OC HELLAF$CK needs to get the hell out of here.

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by JimmyBuff, Oct 11, 2008.

1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but I can't take another one of his rollouts for Cody to the left that requires him to throw the ball across his body falling away.. Its the dumbest play ever and have yet to see the Buffs get a big gain on it.. And what exactly does it set up? Nothing..

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Again, when you OL gives you no time, you have to do something. Having your QB sit in the pocket and take shots isn't a good idea.

3. Sexton Hardcastle

BTW...It's nice to see the real JimmyBuff back. I knew you couldn't stay away for too long.

4. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

:lol:In other news nebraska only gave up 17 in the first half. Down 17-7

5. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

The roll-out play to cody's left is horrible and everyone can see that.cODY DOESN'T HAVE THE ARM to execute it right and it's a stupid play call.

Some of the other play calls are fine with execution but with this OL,we can't do much.

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I agree, but Jimmy is right. The whole rolling out to the left and having Cody throw across his body 4-5 times a game is bizarre. Helfrich is very underwhelming as a playcaller IMO. The game turned on us not converting on the 3rd and 2 near midfield in the second quarter.

7. Sexton Hardcastle

The WR's are not getting open imo. Look at how long Cody is holding onto the ball. Why is that? NO ONE IS OPEN!

8. Duff Man

That is playcalling too IMO. Quick slants and three step drops are needed now because we don't have the luxury of waiting for plays to develop. I would add that Cody is good for missing 2-3 big plays a game as well.

9. JimmyBuff

Hey valdez, the OL gave him plenty of time to throw the damn ball today. He's holding it too long.. That safety was all on Little Hawk. Crawford was breaking open and the ball should have been out from the replay I saw from the endzone..... Instead he's just backing up and holding it..

The WR position ain't great and I doubt they are getting open a lot, but Little Hawk needs to throw the ball..

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  10. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Something that has to be considered here is that two areas we thought would be strengths have been decimated, WR and OL. OL we are down 5 and our WR corps lost Simas and Celestine and now JFly was hurt for much of this game. PWill has had a reshowing of the dropsies and Scotty McKnight seems to have disappered. I feel bad for the QB when his best option appears to be forcing it into Cody Crawford.

11. JimmyBuff

Its a dumb play call and I'm not going wave the pom-poms when our coaching staff is acting like a bunch of dumb idiots.. This isn't Playstation 3 NCAA Football..

12. Sexton Hardcastle

No this is college football. Something you don't seem to really have any grasp on. The playcalling has not been the problem here.

13. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

Disagree. They were open he could not see them or could not get the ball there.

14. Sexton Hardcastle

WHAT!!! He rolled out of the pocket! How can he not see the WR's? This height argument is really getting ridiculous now.

15. Duff Man

His height isn't an issue to me. His arm strength (or lack thereof) absolutely is as far as I'm concerned.

16. JimmyBuff

You on the Hawk payroll or something? I don't know how anyone can objectively say after watching the game today, that yep even though we lost, our offensive staff called a great game on offense.. No screens, No quick slants, no throws to the TE..

17. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Sorry, JV, but I really don't think you can say that any part of the offense is "not the problem" at this point. We have a weak armed perpetually rattled QB trying to run plays he is not equipped for behind a young, decimated offensive line, going to either receivers who are mostly slow or have inconsistent hands or to running backs who have no place to run. At this point I don't think changing any one part of that equation is going to work magic, but I also don't think any portion of the offense is exempt from criticism...

18. Sexton Hardcastle

I don't remember saying our playcalling was great. I said it wasn't our main problem.

19. Sexton Hardcastle

We need to execute out there. That's the problem.

20. Junction

Height is not the only reason a QB won't see a receiver. When a QB is rattled or under pressure, it's pretty common for them to not see an open receiver. Cody is both rattled and under pressure pretty much all the time at this point. That just compounds the height issue (and it is an issue - thus the lack of 5'8" quarterbacks in the NFL...)

21. JimmyBuff

Bottom line:

A coaches job is to put the team in the best position to win regardless of who's playing... I don't think we can say that Hawk and company are doing that..

22. Duff Man

His height isn't the main issue. His lack of mobility or arm strength are the problem. Look at the opposing QB today. Reesing isn't tall, but he can run and he has some arm strength.

Bingo.

23. Sexton Hardcastle

Here comes the NFL argument. :rolleyes:

24. Sexton Hardcastle

It's not like we got crushed out there. We were in the game Jimmy.

25. JimmyBuff

Um, no we weren't.. Right when Smith got a TD, KU went right down the field on us..

we lost 30-14.... line was 14... 4th quarter was wave the white flag... Its embarassing valdez..

26. buffsyko

At 16-14 I was starting to feel good,but then on 3rd and 9 cu drops 8 and the wr is wide open across the middle.4 plays later they score and that's the ball game.

We squandered pts on a couple drives,especially than INT after a first down on their 18.

With our struggles,we can't afford to squander any points.

Oh well,hopefully the team and coaches sit down and get after it this week in practice and we find a way to beat k-state.

27. Sexton Hardcastle

That was in the fourth right?

28. Duff Man

If we don't beat K-State, we're not making a bowl game.

29. buffsyko

I don't think we are making a bowl game as it is.But,you are right.

30. Junction

What NFL argument? I'm saying height is an issue with a quarterback. The fact that short QBs disappear as the level of play improves is just evidence of that. If you would like to dispute that, how about a little more backup than an eye roll? :rolleyes::rolleyes: