What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawaii Game

Ski has been an all time great Buff. I also think he is a headcase. He's not the only one on this team that is a headcase. This team definitely has (basketball) mental problems, because overall as a group they ooze the physical skills. I honestly find it amazing that people don't think this team has (basketball) mental issues.

I find it more amazing that people think we have all this physical talent. I see it on the defensive end, a bit, but I credit Tad for that mostly, teaching them how to move their feet and defend. And that's why we're not worse than we are. But offensive skills? Jumping shooting? Non existent outside of Ski. That's staggering to say for a program of our level. Being able to penetrate, beat someone off the dribble consistently and either finish or dish without turning over? Ski and XJ are the only ones, and Ski turns it over a lot in the lane. His handle in traffic is shaky. But he's light years ahead of everyone else. Low post skills? Josh has them. Wes is opportunistic but doesn't create his own offense.

So where is all this talent people keep mentioning?

Last edited:
We can still definitely make the NIT, but Boyle needs to do something with this offense or just give the keys to Dom and move Ski to the two. That's the only way to salvage the season. I'd rather get Dom experience because he is the only true PG on the team.

I find it more amazing that people think we have all this physical talent. I see it on the defensive end, a bit, but I credit Tad for that mostly, teaching them how to move their feet and defend. And that's why we're not worse than we are. But offensive skills? Jumping shooting? Non existent outside of Ski. That's staggering to say for a program of our level. Being able to penetrate, beat someone off the dribble consistently and either finish or dish without turning over? Ski and XJ are the only ones, and Ski turns it over a lot in the lane. His handle in traffic is shaky. But he's light years ahead of everyone else. Low post skills? Josh has them. Wes is opportunistic but doesn't create his own offense.

So where is all this talent people keep mentioning?

Physical talent and skill are not synonymous.

Edit: I reread my post. I did use the term physical skill. My error. By physical skills in my original post, my intent was athletic ability.

Last edited:
You're making it out to be a lot harder to make the NIT than it actually is

And you're making it considerably easier than it is. Since it has dropped to 32 teams and every conference regular season champion who gets left out of the Dance gets an auto bid, there aren't many slots.

And you're making it considerably easier than it is. Since it has dropped to 32 teams and every conference regular season champion who gets left out of the Dance gets an auto bid, there aren't many slots.

Exactly. You have to win 15-16 games at least. That means we need 8-9 more wins. Hard to count on that unless something really changes.

So we've got people on both extremes. We will make the NIT and it won't take winning the Pac 12 tournament is all I am saying.

Exactly. You have to win 15-16 games at least. That means we need 8-9 more wins. Hard to count on that unless something really changes.

Well, let's use actual logic, which I know you don't like. KenPom has us ranked #69 right now. Our losses are to 56, 32, 59, 39, and 154. All but one of those teams are likely tournament teams. So first of all let's quit pretending that we have lost to bad teams. Additionally, our 5 loses have come by a combined 38 points with Wyoming being the biggest by far and the only one being above 7 points. Additionally, only one has come at home. Now, looking at the rest of our schedule.

Top 5 Win Probability as of 12/26
  1. Washington State - 88%
  2. USC - 83%
  3. at Washington State - 68%
  4. Arizona State - 66%
  5. UCLA - 61%

Bottom 5 Win Probability as of 12/26
  1. at Arizona - 12%
  2. at Utah - 17%
  3. at Washington - 23%
  4. at UCLA - 30%
  5. at Oregon - 32%

At home we still have UCLA, USC, Washington, Washington State, Utah, California, Arizona, Arizona State. I expect to beat USC, WSU, ASU, and Cal at a minimum. We should beat UCLA as well. On the road we have Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and Washington State. I expect ot beat USC, OSU, and Washington State. All three are bad teams and ones we should certainly beat. So where does that leave us? Currently KenPom projects us to have a 16-14 record. We will improve and we have been solid at home. We will be fine and make the NIT. We are not a great team, but we are also not a bad team.

Last edited:
Who cares if they make the NIT or not?

We need to see player development. Somebody other than Josh Scott, Xavier Johnson and Askia Booker. We need 2-3 players to step up and have it carry over into next season.

Who cares if they make the NIT or not?

We need to see player development. Somebody other than Josh Scott, Xavier Johnson and Askia Booker. We need 2-3 players to step up and have it carry over into next season.

I'm with you on this. The NIT means absolutely nothing to me. We could win the NIT and I really wouldn't care. I guess it means a few more practices and the possibility of more home games, but that's not really doing it for me at this point.

Making the NIT would require that the team plays competitively against the P12.

I would much rather see this team not just mail it in from here. The vibe I don't want to see from players or fans is of being an entitled tourney team that has too high opinion of itself to compete in a leaser post-season tournament. The hardworking team in pursuit of a Cinderella story keeps fans engaged.

This team has not demonstrated a competitive spirit and a burning desire to win. In each loss, the opponents want it more. CU is turning the ball over, bumbling alley oops, missing FTs, not taking open shots at the perimeter, and failing to inbound.

Josh is not playing up to his expectation as a future NBA pick. XJ is a firecracker for a few series, and then lapses into some other universe. Askia's style of play continues to be flip-flop between genius and three stooges, with Larry, Curley and Mo sure to come out in the final play of either half.

The rest of the roster are bit actors not hungry enough to claim a leading role.

It's ugly basketball that will manifest into more empty seats at the keg.

The Seal Training program before the season started seemed like exactly the right activity. It was designed to enhance leadership, communication, and teamwork. At this point in the season, that lesson has clearly been lost.

Boyle isn't going to be able to outsource coaching mental toughness at this point. He needs to get out of his comfort zone and refuse to let his players tarnish his reputation.

Last edited by a moderator:
just finished watching, having caught up on the threads.

my top thought right now is: the Pac 12 tournament is winnable.

my top thought right now is: the Pac 12 tournament is winnable.

That is, of course, why there is a PAC 12 tournament, it gives a chance for every team in the conference regardless of how they've played up to that point. Certainly no sign so far that this Buff team will do well in the regular PAC12 season, but I guess the hope is that they'll get it together by tournament time. Maybe the best option for now.

Back