1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawaii to join MWC as a football only member

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by JimmyBuff, Nov 18, 2010.

1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

FrankRizzo likes this.
  2. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

Wow. So does everyone in conference get a 13th game who travels there? I would hate to have to do that every other year.

3. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

Who will they get to be the 12th team?

4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Active Member

Houston? Back to Utah State? When is the Big 12 going to raid the MWC or do they not want TCU in on their recruiting ground?

5. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

adding Hawaii in football only is very curious to me-
    I'm thinking the MWC knows something is about to happen re: losing TCU to possibly the Big East ??

6. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

The Big 12 (i.e. Texas schools) do not want TCU in the conference.

7. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

based on what? i mean the frogs don't give you any media market you don't already have, Amon Carter is a nice but small stadium and they suck in basketball (though people say Billy Gillespie is angling for that job if he dries out).....but, according to a post/article someone had on here TCU spends more for football than any Big XII team minus UT, OU and ATM. #30 nationally. Frogs are legit in baseball which is big for the South schools. it's only a matter of time until either SMU or TCU is in the Big Tex conference. race to the top for one of the DFW teams.

8. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Its a political thing. I do not think TCU (or SMU for that matter) will ever be in the Big 12.

9. Del

Del Member

The Big XII Commissioner Deloss Dodds and assistant commissioner Mack Brown do not want them in the conference. They do not want to have to battle another team for recruiting and face losing to them.

10. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

TCU to SEC to replace Auburn post-death penalty. :smile2:

j/k

But what if TCU and Memphis (or Houston) joined the Big East as football-only, and the Big 12 for non-football sports?

The WAC is now = SunBelt in football, and absolutely needs Montana to join otherwise they can risk losing Utah State (to the MWC) and barely fielding 6 teams for football with little chance of getting 7 non-conference games every year.

11. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

I'm sure all the schools in the Big West are thrilled about sending all their non-revenue sports teams on annual trips to Hawaii....

12. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Sweet. Good for uh! I was worried

13. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

I thought there was a rule that you can't be in two different FBS conferences (not sure if it is FBS conferences or two different AQ conferences), e.g. if TCU was in the Big East for football their other sports would have to go down to Big Sky, Great West, or Missouri Valley; don't think they could even keep them in the MWC.

14. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Fify.

15. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

16. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

I don't think this was a move to get to 12 teams. I think it was a move to stay at 10 teams. TCU is gonzo.

17. boulder77

boulder77 Certified Organic Club Member

At the same time that Nevada and Fresno were invited. USU AD turned down the offer because he felt that he had just signed an agreement with the WAC that they would not jump leagues (as did UN and FSU), and he did not want to go against that. Obviously, UN and FSU - depending upon your opinion on the matter - either were looking out for #1, or have no ethics and jumped even though they just had agreed not to.

18. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

I guess I'm surprised that USU would get the nod first before schools like Hawaii or San Jose State. I mean, seriously, Utah freaking State?

19. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It's because the Mountain tv network is on a basic tier in Utah. The conference can't afford to lose that state.

20. ScottyBuff

and the conference was desperately trying to retain BYU as a member after Utah left. The hope was that adding Utah State, Fresno, and Nevada then the Cougs would feel their best option was to stay in the MWC.

21. ScottyBuff

I've never seen or heard of that one, but seems like a very abstract rule that wouldn't be widely published. If I get motivated I'll try to research it. Nice catch if that is in fact a stipulation. One I hadn't considered.