1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawk 101

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by B1Buff, Sep 14, 2009.

1. B1Buff

B1Buff Active Member

Now, I am not a D1 football coach and will never claim to know as much about football or life as the great Dan Hawkins, but there are a couple things that stick out to me...

I understand that the title 'football coach' can be easily confused with 'life coach', but fundamentally they are different even though many of us may view football as a very important aspect of life. ie...Although I maybe lying on a couch, I wouldn't confuse a prostitute for a psychiatrist; and, even though I always see them with money, I would not consult a stripper for investment advice. You are a football coach and being paid to win football games, not mold good people...leave that to the professionals. But as of now the work you are doing wouldn't be mistaken as that of a life coach or a football coach, but rather more closely related to prostitution as you are being paid a lot lot of money to phuck a lot of Buffs...both players and fans. Simple...Play football, try to win each game, worry less about personal growth and development...did i mention win games?

Advice: Personnel groupings are a stupid idea and don't work, stop using them. There are 49 other states in the country, don't be afraid to get recruits outside of CO (BTW, you are not saving the school any money, a scholarship costs the school the same amount no matter where you get the player from). Walk-ons should not make up 85% of the roster in the skill positions...Kickers and punters maybe. There is a such thing as natural talent, hard work only goes so far. The term midget football only applies to children, not college football. I think you have offense and defense confused so I will simplify...Offensive objective-score points, Defensive objective-keep other team from scoring points. Reevaluate your terminology for "the little things"...The little things are: Showing up to play football (not enjoying the beautiful scenery Toledo has to offer), beating inferior opponents, running the assigned route, catching the ball when it is thrown to you, blocking the person that is trying to tackle the ball carrier, and tackling the person carrying the ball...This does not include: Trying hard in practice (who cares, try hard in a game), stepping up to the challenge, or getting an A on your Chemistry Final.

PS - put these notes on the bottom of the gameplan for each week and we may win a game or two.

Go Buffs!

2. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself SDBuff.

Rep delivered.

3. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Phuck yea! Some rep love sent your way! :smile2:

4. PurifydatA$$

PurifydatA$$ Member

Rep from me too! Sounds like you'd be a major improvement over Talkins...want a new job?

5. CUwhit21

CUwhit21 Club Member Club Member

To Dan's credit, he has signed players from:

California
    Texas
    Hawaii
    Kentucky
    Washington
    Arizona
    Idaho
    Florida
    Oklahoma
    Louisiana
    Ohio
    Pennsylvania
    Kansas
    Tennessee
    Utah
    New Jersey
    Nebraska
    Minnesota

6. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

alot of those states suck!

7. CUwhit21

The big 5 are in there.. CA, TX, FL, OH and PA. What state is missing that you would like to see on there?

I know I forgot a couple as well.

The point being, we aren't just recruiting Colorado.

8. PhillyBuff

my comment had nothing to do with football....

i don't know anything about football... I have never played american football, I have never coached american football, and I have never assisted in coaching american football.

I did however.... play intramural football brotha.... and won a CU t-shirt... :smile:

9. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Word!

10. PhillyBuff

well maybe we need to recruit in different areas of those states.... :lol:

11. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

Witty, clever and a good argument ... but not so sure I agree. A good football coach must have a bit of life coach in them. Otherwise, your team ends up at the top of the Fulmer Cup. Hawk is great a preaching and philosophy, which connects with recruits and parents. He now needs to turn on the Football Coach switch and get these guys prepared and in a position to win.

Agree with whit. Hawk has signed 18 Colorado recruits (average of 4.5/year). In the last 3 recruiting cycles, (2006 he came in late and all the top recruits had already pledged elsewhere) only 3 of those Colo. recruits were not in Rival's Colo. top 10 (Grossnickle - a kicker, Shawn Daniels - #11, and DaVaughn Thronton). So basically, he's been getting about half of the top talent in Colorado - something that fans really took Barnett to task for not doing.

Agree 100% :thumbsup:

12. CUwhit21

Or just figure out how to get them on the field.