What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk floats extension idea

If asked the best thing the department can do and your response is get an extension, the next question should have been, "do you think you have been good for Colorado football?" Even Hawkins couldn't possibly appraise himself positively

I disagree. I absolutely believe that Hawkins thinks he's been great for Colorado Football. He really believes that it's all just a matter of working on a couple little things. That the problem isn't execution, it's attitude. He believes that the attitude of the team was so completely destroyed by the previous staff that it's taken five years to build it back up. That's where he gets the whole "It's about to pop" stuff. He feels like if he can just get the attitude right, that the execution will follow. He couldn't be more wrong - it works the other way around - but if you were to ask him, that's what he would say.

I think it is a near certainty at this point that Hawkins will have some kind of sh**ty 6-7 type record this year and will be retained because "HOLY SH** WE MADE IT TO THE JALAPENO PEPPER BOWL AND ALMOST BEAT ONTARIO TECH, LOL" and will remain HC for an additional ~5 years because after every miserably terrible year, there will be a mediocre year, which will be used as a reason to keep him on board. CU does not care about football, period. He would have been gone a long time ago at even crappy football programs.

The guy won three games last year. THREE GAMES. In year four. He has yet to have a winning season. The bar has been set literally as low as it possibly can be. There is zero standard for performance here.

Last edited:
What I'm wondering is, would any other team be interested in Hawk!? If he pulls out an 8 win season here, what are the odds that he jumps ship? Would that be the logic behind his asking? I mean, it's not hard to think of notable coaches who had little success here and are now in top ten programs. IE Helfrich Oregon. Watson NU

What I'm wondering is, would any other team be interested in Hawk!? If he pulls out an 8 win season here, what are the odds that he jumps ship? Would that be the logic behind his asking? I mean, it's not hard to think of notable coaches who had little success here and are now in top ten programs. IE Helfrich Oregon. Watson NU

Hmmm. I think it wouldn't be such a bad deal for the fans. Hawk leaves the program in stable shape, and we can get a coach in here that can actually coach football. That sounds like a win to me!

well, dan.

i waited all day to post, mostly because i could hardly believe what i read in the paper this am. and, i wanted to reflect... reflect on how anyone, and i mean anyone, with a functioning brain stem and the ability to cognitively reason could believe that you have earned an extension.

as i pondered this question, i allowed the white-hot rage i felt this morning to recede to my standard bitter cynicism which i have had to use for most of the last 4 seasons in order to stomach the **** ass product you've put on the field.

toledo, dan. toledo. you coached a team that allowed 600 yards to one of the worst teams in college football. montana state, dan. you lost to a ****ing lower division team. 4 consecutive losing seasons, dan. 2 road wins TOTAL in 4 years. historically-speaking, you've just put together the worst 4 year stretch in modern CU football history, dan.

and, for this... for this, in front of your less fortunate colleagues, who deal with shrinking budgets and who make a small pittance of what you make, you pay us all back by asking for a ****ing contract extension.

dan, let me just say this and be done with this pathetic subject... you are either the dumbest mutha****er ever to grace the sidelines at my alma mater or you are the most self-centered. and, if it is the latter, well, congrats... you beat out some really fine company. fairbanks spent an ass ton of $$ remodeling his office while the CUAD was cutting sports. oh, and he needed a brand new pair of white loafers every week for games. yep, that's how ****ing self-involved that mutha was. and, now, you... you ****ing do this... in front of your struggling colleagues.

you, sir, are an ass. a first-class, grade A, ass...

thank you to whomever at the meeting had the stones to tell the camera. he/she must have been as stunned as i am.

i so want this story to not be true. i hate to think the worst of people.

ok. out of my system for now... i am going to root like hell for wins, not because you deserve them... you deserve to go sit in a corner and learn some manners. but, because i love CU and i respect the players and even some of the other coaches, i'll hope for the best. for them.

I disagree. I absolutely believe that Hawkins thinks he's been great for Colorado Football. He really believes that it's all just a matter of working on a couple little things. That the problem isn't execution, it's attitude. He believes that the attitude of the team was so completely destroyed by the previous staff that it's taken five years to build it back up. That's where he gets the whole "It's about to pop" stuff. He feels like if he can just get the attitude right, that the execution will follow. He couldn't be more wrong - it works the other way around - but if you were to ask him, that's what he would say.

You really shouldn't judge a coach based on what he says to the media.

Last edited:
well, dan.

i waited all day to post, mostly because i could hardly believe what i read in the paper this am. and, i wanted to reflect... reflect on how anyone, and i mean anyone, with a functioning brain stem and the ability to cognitively reason could believe that you have earned an extension.

as i pondered this question, i allowed the white-hot rage i felt this morning to recede to my standard bitter cynicism which i have had to use for most of the last 4 seasons in order to stomach the **** ass product you've put on the field.

toledo, dan. toledo. you coached a team that allowed 600 yards to one of the worst teams in college football. montana state, dan. you lost to a ****ing lower division team. 4 consecutive losing seasons, dan. 2 road wins TOTAL in 4 years. historically-speaking, you've just put together the worst 4 year stretch in modern CU football history, dan.

and, for this... for this, in front of your less fortunate colleagues, who deal with shrinking budgets and who make a small pittance of what you make, you pay us all back by asking for a ****ing contract extension.

dan, let me just say this and be done with this pathetic subject... you are either the dumbest mutha****er ever to grace the sidelines at my alma mater or you are the most self-centered. and, if it is the latter, well, congrats... you beat out some really fine company. fairbanks spent an ass ton of $$ remodeling his office while the CUAD was cutting sports. oh, and he needed a brand new pair of white loafers every week for games. yep, that's how ****ing self-involved that mutha was. and, now, you... you ****ing do this... in front of your struggling colleagues.

thank you to whomever at the meeting had the stones to tell the camera. he/she must have been as stunned as i am.

ok. out of my system for now... i am going to root like hell for wins, not because you deserve them... you deserve to go sit in a corner and learn some manners. but, because i love CU and i respect the players and even some of the other coaches, i'll hope for the best. for them.

7f9b61bc7324abd0bc0ff71a6b0d86d7.gif

You really shouldn't judge a coach based on what he says to the media.

Well, let's see. I can judge him by his W/L record, which is the worst ever for a CU coach over a four year period. Or, I can judge him by his intentions, which seem honorable. But I can only tell what those intentions are by listening to what he says to the media. I can judge him by his graduation rates, which were good enough to get us a nice little APR hit - when nobody else in EITHER conference we're associated with had that issue. I can judge him by how many of his players get arrested, but with Sipili, Katoa, Jackson, Simas, and the myriad of other players who've had scrapes with the law since he's gotten here, that might not be such a good idea, either.
Seeing as he hasn't coached in a game for nearly 9 months, there isn't a whole lot available for me to judge him on other than what he says to the media. And what he says to the media is some of the gawd damned stupidest sh*t I've ever heard.

well, dan.

I waited all day to post, mostly because i could hardly believe what i read in the paper this am. And, i wanted to reflect... Reflect on how anyone, and i mean anyone, with a functioning brain stem and the ability to cognitively reason could believe that you have earned an extension.

As i pondered this question, i allowed the white-hot rage i felt this morning to recede to my standard bitter cynicism which i have had to use for most of the last 4 seasons in order to stomach the **** ass product you've put on the field.

Toledo, dan. Toledo. You coached a team that allowed 600 yards to one of the worst teams in college football. Montana state, dan. You lost to a ****ing lower division team. 4 consecutive losing seasons, dan. 2 road wins total in 4 years. Historically-speaking, you've just put together the worst 4 year stretch in modern cu football history, dan.

And, for this... For this, in front of your less fortunate colleagues, who deal with shrinking budgets and who make a small pittance of what you make, you pay us all back by asking for a ****ing contract extension.

Dan, let me just say this and be done with this pathetic subject... You are either the dumbest mutha****er ever to grace the sidelines at my alma mater or you are the most self-centered. And, if it is the latter, well, congrats... You beat out some really fine company. Fairbanks spent an ass ton of $$ remodeling his office while the cuad was cutting sports. Oh, and he needed a brand new pair of white loafers every week for games. Yep, that's how ****ing self-involved that mutha was. And, now, you... You ****ing do this... In front of your struggling colleagues.

You, sir, are an ass. A first-class, grade a, ass...

Thank you to whomever at the meeting had the stones to tell the camera. He/she must have been as stunned as i am.

I so want this story to not be true. I hate to think the worst of people.

Ok. Out of my system for now... I am going to root like hell for wins, not because you deserve them... You deserve to go sit in a corner and learn some manners. But, because i love cu and i respect the players and even some of the other coaches, i'll hope for the best. For them.

out****ing standing liver....

well, dan.

I waited all day to post, mostly because i could hardly believe what i read in the paper this am. And, i wanted to reflect... Reflect on how anyone, and i mean anyone, with a functioning brain stem and the ability to cognitively reason could believe that you have earned an extension.

As i pondered this question, i allowed the white-hot rage i felt this morning to recede to my standard bitter cynicism which i have had to use for most of the last 4 seasons in order to stomach the **** ass product you've put on the field.

Toledo, dan. Toledo. You coached a team that allowed 600 yards to one of the worst teams in college football. Montana state, dan. You lost to a ****ing lower division team. 4 consecutive losing seasons, dan. 2 road wins total in 4 years. Historically-speaking, you've just put together the worst 4 year stretch in modern cu football history, dan.

And, for this... For this, in front of your less fortunate colleagues, who deal with shrinking budgets and who make a small pittance of what you make, you pay us all back by asking for a ****ing contract extension.

Dan, let me just say this and be done with this pathetic subject... You are either the dumbest mutha****er ever to grace the sidelines at my alma mater or you are the most self-centered. And, if it is the latter, well, congrats... You beat out some really fine company. Fairbanks spent an ass ton of $$ remodeling his office while the cuad was cutting sports. Oh, and he needed a brand new pair of white loafers every week for games. Yep, that's how ****ing self-involved that mutha was. And, now, you... You ****ing do this... In front of your struggling colleagues.

You, sir, are an ass. A first-class, grade a, ass...

Thank you to whomever at the meeting had the stones to tell the camera. He/she must have been as stunned as i am.

I so want this story to not be true. I hate to think the worst of people.

Ok. Out of my system for now... I am going to root like hell for wins, not because you deserve them... You deserve to go sit in a corner and learn some manners. But, because i love cu and i respect the players and even some of the other coaches, i'll hope for the best. For them.

out****ing standing liver.... :thumbsup:

Hmmm. I think it wouldn't be such a bad deal for the fans. Hawk leaves the program in stable shape, and we can get a coach in here that can actually coach football. That sounds like a win to me!
It would take Hawkins 2 years to win 8 games. My fear is he manages to win 6 - we go to the MagicJack bowl and he's back for 2011.

Arrogance and defiance are the words that come to mind here. This guy is a font of ridiculous remarks that bait the media and the fans. Let's have a pair of 8 to 9 win seasons, bowl wins and very respectable recruiting classes over the next two years and then consider the possibility of an extension. I don't think that is too much to ask of Hawkins at this point in the game at all.

But you think he will win this year and get us back on track huh?

Obviously, I can't say, for sure, what will happen this year. I see signs pointing in the right direction. I'm hopeful. But we all agree, there had better be a huge turnaround in both wins and recruiting or we should make a change. I don't think any of us disagree on that. And, as I said earlier, it wasn't wise for Dan to even broach the idea of an extension at this point in time. Maybe he can bring it up prior to our bowl game, but not now.

Obviously, I can't say, for sure, what will happen this year. I see signs pointing in the right direction. I'm hopeful. But we all agree, there had better be a huge turnaround in both wins and recruiting or we should make a change. I don't think any of us disagree on that. And, as I said earlier, it wasn't wise for Dan to even broach the idea of an extension at this point in time. Maybe he can bring it up prior to our bowl game, but not now.

This was me last year. Im done with Dan.

This was me last year. Im done with Dan.
I was with DH until ISU last year...now I'm done, even if he wins 8. I'll behappy and not screaming for his scalp, but I'm not sure anything short of a run of 8+ win seasons would even get me to thinking aobut being on board with him again. The Buffs, however, have my complete support.

well, dan.

will you marry me?

I think this move by Hawk is genius. He's planning on winning and if he does he wants to be able to say at the end of season, "I've been talking about extension since before the season. You could have gotten me cheap then but now..." If he doesn't win then he knows he's fired so it doesn't matter what he says now about an extension anyway. Given this perspective, He may as well set himself up to maximize his salary if things go his way.

Personally, I hope he get's fired no matter what but I do understand the move.

well, dan.

Laces out, Dan.

What signs are those?

Losing the team (I am sure many will argue that)? Losing 99% of the fan support? Bad recruiting classes? Then there is the 16-33 record and that road record. Ease of schedule this year? I guess we didn't have any big injuries this year so far and he has been trying to talk up a good game recently but we hear that same talk every year. Has he given out his guesstimate on how many wins we will get next year?

I think this move by Hawk is genius. He's planning on winning and if he does he wants to be able to say at the end of season, "I've been talking about extension since before the season. You could have gotten me cheap then but now..." If he doesn't win then he knows he's fired so it doesn't matter what he says now about an extension anyway. Given this perspective, He may as well set himself up to maximize his salary if things go his way.

Personally, I hope he get's fired no matter what but I do understand the move.

Haha, well this would be the one good outcome of having and AD that is broke. "Sorry Dan, we can't afford you, we are going to have to hire EB instead".

What signs are those?

Losing the team (I am sure many will argue that)? Losing 99% of the fan support? Bad recruiting classes? Then there is the 16-33 record and that road record. Ease of schedule this year? I guess we didn't have any big injuries this year so far and he has been trying to talk up a good game recently but we hear that same talk every year. Has he given out his guesstimate on how many wins we will get next year?

Man, take a ****ing chill pill! :lol:

Hey, signs, signs everywhere signs, baby! I think there are a lot of positive things to look at on this team. Sorry you don't see it. But I'll be honest. I'm also apprehensive, mainly about the game day coaching. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. I have seen us get out coached way too many times.

Man, take a ****ing chill pill! :lol:

Hey, signs, signs everywhere signs, baby! I think there are a lot of positive things to look at on this team. Sorry you don't see it. But I'll be honest. I'm also apprehensive, mainly about the game day coaching. I'd be lying if I said otherwise. I have seen us get out coached way too many times.

Chill pill taken. I just know how easy it is to get wrapped up in Dan's BS before the season. I am able to ignore it so far this year. He can say anything he wants right now but I think in November he won't be able to lie to us as much.

Chill pill taken. I just know how easy it is to get wrapped up in Dan's BS before the season. I am able to ignore it so far this year. He can say anything he wants right now but I think in November he won't be able to lie to us as much.
You've got some chill pills? Do ya, umm, think you could, you know, hook me up?

Anyway, I think I'm a little more hopeful than you.

Last edited:
well, dan.

After 16 years of posting on a message board... THIS is the thing that pisses you off...
EXCELLENT man... EXCELLENT...

Back