What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk on KOA........."It's all on me"

All those people who said starting Hansen in Mizzou was feeding him to the wolves.... were right. Hope he is done with his first snap fumble jitters.

I think that the staff prepares the team just fine....that being said, once the game starts they have no idea how to adjust to anything the other teams is doing differently then they prepared for. I find it real odd that when our offense does look ok it is early in the first qtr and often the first drive. As the game wears on and the opponent makes adjustments to what we are doing...game over. .

i've noticed that too...partially, out of frustration of how (at least in the WVU, FSU, and even UT games) we'd get possession, say on our 30...make some plays, move the chains and then piss down our leg once we cross midfield....AS IF, the two or 3 adjustments the staff came up with since the last time we got sacked/fumbled/or illegal motioned ourselves out of FG range was good for about those 2 first downs and then we had nothing again.

I'm also a little confused at some of the "throws" we make in our O....they don't look like anything else anyone else does....they match the weird geometry on our pants. and i don't think as we were lead to believe it's because "we" are ahead of the scheming curve.

it's frustrating and i've been up and down with Hawk...but I'm not off the wagon just yet. i think he's going to need to change his "business model" if he wants to stay. If Helfrich is so good, he'll get another chance to prove it. learning on the job here for 3 years isn't really working out. We need to move on and get someone who actually has a clue what this Boise State playbook/no huddle thing is all about (since it's not looking like it was "Hawk's playbook" to me)....or bring in some one with some experience than can match scheme with personnel.

No more off season trips to Maccu Piccu.

I can't believe I watched the whole game.

You think that's bad? I went to a Halloween party last night. Heard the score. And still came home and watched whole damn thing starting at 12:30 AM. :bang:

I'm not getting defensive. At least I don't think I was. Sorry if it came off that way.

I am very offensive typically, so I apologize. We all just want to win....

And it still took me until this afternoon to see Buffs getting offensive or defensive... :huh:

I'm also a little confused at some of the "throws" we make in our O....they don't look like anything else anyone else does....they match the weird geometry on our pants. and i don't think as we were lead to believe it's because "we" are ahead of the scheming curve.

:yeahthat:

That's something I noticed watching last night's game. Our offense looks like it's working at so many weird angles so often. Whether it's the pass routes and the throws the QBs have to make or even the handoffs and movement in the backfield. It all just looks unnatural, and it seems to me our backs, especially, almost have to come to a stop just to take a handoff. Whether that's design or youth and guys being out of position I won't pretend to know...

I will never question the effort that these kids are giving. Especially anonymously over a internet board.

:yeahthat:

I agree. I just get fired up over these things.

You are correct though, the players came off very flat. Hawkins deserves to be questioned about that.

or maybe they are playing hurt, against depth and talent that we cannot yet match.

perhaps some need to see the buffs with smiles pasted on their faces. jumping like a crackhead on a pogo stick. THAT would please people, i tell ya - and sacrificing an assistant coach too. it is not enough that assistants do not want to go to colorado owing to the contract limit. constant bitching about them by the fanbase is the icing on the cake.

or maybe they are playing hurt, against depth and talent that we cannot yet match.

perhaps some need to see the buffs with smiles pasted on their faces. jumping like a crackhead on a pogo stick. THAT would please people, i tell ya - and sacrificing an assistant coach too. it is not enough that assistants do not want to go to colorado owing to the contract limit. constant bitching about them by the fanbase is the icing on the cake.

Maybe. If anyone thought we could match Mizzou's talent is not thinking straight.

The coaching staff does deserve some criticism though. The gameplan has been questionable. I really don't like seeing Cody still coming out. We burned Hansen's RS. It's time to stick with him.

When do coaches deserve criticism then? It is perfectly natural and justified for people to think a 58-0 ass whoopin' might not inspire the greatest confidence.

Maybe. If anyone thought we could match Mizzou's talent is not thinking straight.

look around. plenty of those types here. melting down.

When do coaches deserve criticism then? It is perfectly natural and justified for people to think a 58-0 ass whoopin' might not inspire the greatest confidence.

how the hell did we go from a lack of emotion on the players part (and a response entirely in that vein) to coaching criticism? :huh:

those kids are playing thin and playing hurt. i do not see that as requiring an assistant tarring and feathering, no. IF the assistants **** up with a stocked and talented crew, then i think that tongues can wag.

how the hell did we go from a lack of emotion on the players part (and a response entirely in that vein) to coaching criticism? :huh:

those kids are playing thin and playing hurt. i do not see that as requiring an assistant tarring and feathering, no. IF the assistants **** up with a stocked and talented crew, then i think that tongues can wag.

Because maybe some of us believe the coaches aren't putting our players in the best positions to succeed? It goes well beyond injuries and youth at this point. To argue that the coaching staff is somehow absolved from blame rings pretty hollow IMO.

Take for example the special teams. Do you really believe injuries explain the troubles there?

Because maybe some of us believe the coaches aren't putting our players in the best positions to succeed? It goes well beyond injuries and youth at this point. To argue that the coaching staff is somehow absolved from blame rings pretty hollow IMO.

Take for example the special teams. Do you really believe injuries explain the troubles there?

Yeah, you are so right. I must have used the word "absolved" somewhere. That is so the opposite of hollow. You rock. Woot woot.

If you want to know my stance on the piece of the coaching puzzle, you might ask instead of inserting words in my mouth. FWIW, I would not say "absolved" fits my view. However, our injuries and slowly growing talent pool DOES in fact temper me from reacting like a hot head.

I am getting to the point where this constant weekly melodrama is tired, old, and really petty. Is Buff football the only outlet for some folks around here to act like a child? There is a serious fixation on blame. There is also seriously petulant and childish expectations for how long it takes to turn a program around.

If anyone just got irate by what I said, then the shoe fits, and maybe you should take a few ****ing deep breaths before re-evaluating what it takes to raise a program from rock bottom.

Okay, how do you feel the coaching staff is doing overall right now? Can injuries and youth explain our awful special teams play?

Okay, how do you feel the coaching staff is doing overall right now? Can injuries and youth explain our awful special teams play?

i think that the entire program is struggling. however, i do not find it to be something a magic pill can fix. i think that it is hollow to say some of the bull chips about the staff given the fact that we ARE injured, the opposite of deep, and developing.

some expect the coaches to look like world beaters with our current status. i don't think that is 100% fair. there has to be a more productive way to deal with frustration, imo.

perhaps you can provide a list of the assistants who you think should be disembowled, along with a suggestion of a replacement that will net a more satisfactory result? i am also interested in how you came to this burning opinion so early in the rebuilding of the program.

Can you answer a question directly? Geez, I asked you how the coaches are doing and you give an answer that the whole program is "struggling." And then basically excuse the coaches from blame for the most part.

You want coaches I think should be in the unemployment line at the end of the year? It is really only one, Riddle. I have my doubts about Helfrich, but I am willing to give a break for this season and see how he does next year with a healthy offensive line and (hopefully) an eligible Simas. I don't think it is being out of line to suggest that Riddle has not performed well as a coach this year. The special teams look worse as the weeks go on, at least the offense and defense have shown signs of improvement at times. But special teams players continue to make the same mistakes weekly (notably the handling of short kickoffs). That has nothing to do with rebuilding.

Can you answer a question directly? Geez, I asked you how the coaches are doing and you give an answer that the whole program is "struggling." And then basically excuse the coaches from blame for the most part.

fail. i did not excuse them. can you highlight where i said what you just said i did? i have different feelings for each of them. i am not going to vilify all of them or praise all, either. i do think that it is premature to even suggest that any of us can predict effectiveness at this moment in time.

Boulder Buff said:
You want coaches I think should be in the unemployment line at the end of the year? It is really only one, Riddle. I have my doubts about Helfrich, but I am willing to give a break for this season and see how he does next year with a healthy offensive line and (hopefully) an eligible Simas. I don't think it is being out of line to suggest that Riddle has not performed well as a coach this year. The special teams look worse as the weeks go on, at least the offense and defense have shown signs of improvement at times. But special teams players continue to make the same mistakes weekly (notably the handling of short kickoffs). That has nothing to do with rebuilding.

i agree. i do think helfrich deserves at least 2-3 years before i am willing to call for a bloodletting. the special teams are bad as bad can be, therefore i may be inclined to agree with you on that score.

Last edited:
Hawk is a stand up guy, so I'm not surprised he would say this..

Honestly though....have you EVER heard a coach come out and blame anyone else but himself?

I don't think it's all Hawks fault....your players looked almost exactly like the Huskers when we played mizzou...we just came out playing like we had already lost.

The biggest problem I had the other night, besides everything already mentioned, was our defensive game plan. At any level of football, you cannot let any qb, much less Chase Daniel, have 5 or 6 seconds to throw the ball. Meaning you cannot rush 3 and expect to keep those guys outta the endzone. I know the worry about blitzing and not getting there but at least u give yourself a chance to make something happen. This looked like 7 on 7. How come we dont use the game plan we use against teams like Tech? Hell, im not saying blitz every down but give them another look besides a 3 or 4 man rush. I might get criticized for this, oh well, here goes. I, without a doubt, saw a team and a coaching staff that were playing not to lose or get blown the hell out, instead of going out there and playing to win, period.

I gotta agree with some of you that Hawk is a stand up guy for taking blame. Perhaps that's part of the problem though. Maybe the players who play half ass just say to them selves, "My effort wasn't the problem, its coaches fault. He said so."

Exactly. Plus where are the captains of this team. They should be stepping up and saying,"it isn't Coach Hawk's fault it's ours. We let the man down. WE won't let that happen again".

Last edited:
the contrast between Hawk and Gary Barnett is extremely striking. Barney always blamed everybody but himself, and that's why his team ended up quitting on him. After 70-3, Gary Barnett actually blamed the whole 3 game 130-22 blowout streak on the university for not extending his contract, when they had offered him a new contract right before the losing streak that he turned down because he wanted more money.

Dan Hawkins is the guy for this program. If assistants need to go Hawk will pull the trigger, but I would remind everybody that the only long-term job security that Hawk can offer his assistants is his word that they will stand by them. If Hawk fires Riddle and Helfrich I doubt that we will get somebody better, and our other assistants might bolt for better paid jobs if they think Hawk will be impatient when things get rough. We need continuity, and if that means putting up with Riddle for a while then so be it. We have had a revolving door for assistants for 15 years, and it has killed the program.

I think this "it's all on me" stuff is a cop-out. If he really is a standup guy and willing to take responsibility, why doesn't he explain how someone with all his experience, all his knowledge and insight, could F -up so bad.

I'd like to know how he screwed things up and why 'it's all on him'

Did he fail to stress the importance of the game?
Is he a poor motivator or using the wrong 'carrot'?
Did he screw up designing schemes?
Did he ignore (or listen to) ass't coaches?
Did he make a mistake with both the QB and punter starting (they both fumbled)
Has he somehow lost touch with his team?

Public figures 'apologize' by saying 'it's all on me' or "if I did something wrong, then I'm sorry"

I want nuts and bolts, not cliches

Go Buffs!

Gotta admit, love Hawkins as a person and mentor for the kids and as the front man for the program. What amazes me are the naysayers who haven't once accepted the fact that Hawkins is on a learning curve. Let's face it, the Big 12 aint something you walk into from the Wac/Mtn west and master. That said, patience is justifiably running thin with this coaching staff. Why do you replace a productive quarterback mid drive? Why does "special teams" epitomize a politically correct statement for the deaf and blind? Why do you put an untested punter out on our 5 yard line for his first punt? Are you kidding me? Why, o ****ing why are we still rushing 3? Just these instances should open eyes to the coaching. I'm rapidly falling off the Hawkin"s bandwagon.

Back