What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk says Scott will punt this year

I'm more worried about DS getting hurt on kickoff returns - having him as our KO return man is moronic IMO.

i tell you where i *might* use the play: say you are 3rd and 25 or something like that deep at your end of the field. i might put him back there and have him quick-kick it.

Maybe. I was actually thinking more like something around 4th and 3 or 4 around midfield. Short field would make good use of his hangtime and in that kind of situation teams would have to respect the possibility of the fake. And if they have to hang back and respect the possible fake they are going to have fewer chances to take a shot at his while he's exposed...

i tell you where i *might* use the play: say you are 3rd and 25 or something like that deep at your end of the field. i might put him back there and have him quick-kick it.

John Elway did that a handfull of times-

I'm more worried about DS getting hurt on kickoff returns - having him as our KO return man is moronic IMO.

This.

All I think about when I hear this is when Hannibal Navies knocked out atm's Heisman candidate RB in 1995. Leland McElroy was a beast on a very good aTm team. That one play likely won us that game

inside our 50, in a situation where it's tough to decide to punt or go for it, you line up DS and let him punt a short high one. He's always a threat to run it. I doubt he's there because he's a better punter, but he's there because he's a dual threat weapon. BTW, he can also throw the ball a bit, we've seen that already.

OU used Joe Washington that way in the mid 70's and he led the NCAA in punting per attmept.

i think Hawk shouldn't try and outsmart himself so much. at least not until he sticks a couple 9 win seasons together. remember the ISU game in 07?

Of course! Had we had DScott to punt, we never would have gone for it on 4th down, game still in our favor....:cool:

Yes, it's moronic. How many teams have their "star" rb punting? But hey, it must be a good idea if hawk is doing it :rolleyes:

When the other team cheap shots him and he's down for the year, you and hawk should both be run out of town.

Then I'll cheap shot his ass

I KNOW!

Let's put him in a big glass case, posing like the Heisman Trophy, then he'll never get hurt!:thumbsup:

If he gets hurt, he gets HURT! What if he blows a knee on his first carry from scrimmage, was that stoopid too? Shoulda let Summler do it?

You Nervous Nancies are drivin' me crazy with this don't let Scott play this or play that, cuz he might get hurt.......:wow:

I KNOW!

Let's put him in a big glass case, posing like the Heisman Trophy, then he'll never get hurt!:thumbsup:

If he gets hurt, he gets HURT! What if he blows a knee on his first carry from scrimmage, was that stoopid too? Shoulda let Summler do it?

You Nervous Nancies are drivin' me crazy with this don't let Scott play this or play that, cuz he might get hurt.......:wow:

U know people are being pussies with this. IT's FOOTBALL!!! HE RISKS A INJURY EVERY DOWN HE PLAYS AT RB!!!!!!!!!!!:wow:

:lol:

Crazy people looking at our RBs and thinking we might want to not risk injury when possible. It is not like Scott was dinged up all last year or anything. Not like Speedy missed the last month of the season or anything.

Calling people nancies and pussies is without a doubt a sound argument. Thanks guys, I needed that.

Do RBs not take the brunt of the punishment among offensive skill players over a season? Why would you give the other team more shots at a star skill player than necessary?

The same reason Danny White used to punt when he was a backup QB. It provides some entertaining options.

:lol:

Crazy people looking at our RBs and thinking we might want to not risk injury when possible. It is not like Scott was dinged up all last year or anything. Not like Speedy missed the last month of the season or anything.

Calling people nancies and pussies is without a doubt a sound argument. Thanks guys, I needed that.

handoff to scott=RISK of injury. If you want a pussy sport, go watch basketball or baseball. Better yet curling.

handoff to scott=RISK of injury. If you want a pussy sport, go watch basketball or baseball. Better yet curling.

Or if I want to hear big talk, I can come to Allbuffs.:lol:

I will still watch football, even if I am a pussy. Thanks for the concern though.

I'm sure it's occurred to some of you, that unless Hawk sells the idea of DS as a punter, the idea of DS doing a fake punt will never fly. But shshshsh. It's a secret.

On the other hand, if he gets huge yards, gets great punts, and very nice kickoff returns, he could become CU's second Heisman Trophy winner.....

The more I think about it, it is not that horrible of an idea. He got hurt last year, and I don't remember him punting when he got hurt. He can get hurt on any play, and I would think that if he sees people coming in on him he pulls it down and runs. Plus, after he punts, you don't have an essetially worthless blocker on the field to try to stop the opposing team, but another hard nosed althlete. Plus plus for the punting team.

I am totally okay with DScott punting the ball...

...into the Cowboy Stadium video screen.

But before Darrell punts, it would be nice if Rodney Stewert's hamstring is 100%.
All we need are two RB's nursing a bad hammy.

We likely won't see DS back there every game. It could be an experiment in the early games that we don't see at all later in the season, or we could also see Scott take DiLallo's job if he is sub par. As long as Scott punting doesn't cause another UCLA transfer I will take a wait-and-see on this subject for now.

Danny White was the starting QB& punter for nearly a decade.

Could be wrong, but I think Danny White was no longer the punter once he became starting qb.

I mentioned Craig James from SMU on another thread. Looking into it further, James was all SWC first team rb and punter. His punting ave at SMU, 44.9yd/k is still the record there, and he had some spectacular fakes, including one for a 45yd touchdown in the 1980 Holiday Bowl against BYU. He went on to a very successful USFL/NFL career as a rb.

Perhaps the giant pussies on this board like Boulder Buff :)smile2:) should take James' career into consideration.

Last edited:
Back