What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk Show on AM 760 as we speak...

I kind of agree with Hawk, the foundation when its comes to PR, public image, black cloud over the program, etc has been lifted (especially in the state of Colorado and media). Now obviously he hasn't won yet, but the program is in much better shape to move forward whether its by his coaching staff or a new one.

I haven't been a huge fan of Hawk's coaching but I believe he should be given until next year to turn it around. I know I'm in the minority around here, but I don't think we have the talent to be a consistent winner yet and the best players we have are all underclassmen. I don't follow recruiting very closely other than who we have in commits and what others were offering them (which from what I see this year its not very promising). I don't know what the perception of Colorado is out there for out-of-staters but I have to conclude it still has some lingering image problems from the past. Maybe Hawk needs to make moves on the coaching staff to improve the recruiting or something but its obvious to me in order for us to turn it around it has to start in recruiting and DEVELOPING that talent. I'm a firm believer that we will not be successful without a good quality number of athletes from the state of Texas and California. The state of Colorado doesn't have the quality of athletes to supplement a Big 12 quality program. I won't mention names, but I think about half the guys we have on the roster right now that are from Colorado really aren't Big 12 caliber of players. And I look at the other offers some of these guys have and its Wyoming and the CSU's of the world. I don't care if rivals gave them a 3-star or 4-star or whatever star, I just don't think there are Big 12 quality players.. Could we hit a home run on one or two of those guys? Absolutely. But for the most part, they will not be up to Big 12 standards. We need to find more talent outside the state.

Hawk laid an egg on Sunday and it was an embarrassing performance. I don't dispute that but I'm not ready to pull the plug yet.. He needs to pick it up though.

Also, I don't think Hawk would play Little Hawk if he didn't believe he was the best QB the team had and gave the team the best chance to win.. Now I think its definitely open to debate whether having Little Hawk on the team has hurt Hawk's chances to get a blue-chip QB in here, but I don't believe the argument that Hawk is just playing his son because that's his son.

Hawk is right on one thing, This is definitely not your father's buffs. It hurts, but its reality.

I don't understand the Scott situation at all. The only thing I can think of is that Scott can't pass block (pick up the blitz) which is why he's not in there very much.
Good post.

I agree with both of you. As a guy who is a Hawkins supporter and thinks it will translate to wins on the field soon, the loss's would have/will have been easier had it looked like he cared as much as I did.
That being said, different styles for different folks and I dont give a **** if he gives the officials a handy at halftime as long as we win.
Amen. I think we can all agree with that. :lol:

It might look better, but what does it accomplish? I'm sure most kids on the team know Hawk better than you or I. You know?

Well, his ho-hum dumb de dumb attitude isn't working, why can't he get aggravated at his team like he does the media and fans and demand better? Why not turn around on the sideline and actually SAY SOMETHING to your team to encourage them or get in their a$$ to play better?

Status quo is awesome!

It might look better, but what does it accomplish? I'm sure most kids on the team know Hawk better than you or I. You know?

In the grand scheme of things it means nothing. Plenty of rah-rah coaches have had worse records than Hawk..

I just think its different if you are a coach who's outside the box and unconventional (which Hawk is) and its much easier to criticize when its not working (like now). The vast majority of Joe Fan enjoys the rah-rah coaches than the ones who are the calm type.

Well, his ho-hum dumb de dumb attitude isn't working, why can't he get aggravated at his team like he does the media and fans and demand better? Why not turn around on the sideline and actually SAY SOMETHING to your team to encourage them or get in their a$$ to play better?

Status quo is awesome!

I understand syko. I really do see your point. I just trust that Hawk knows his team, that's why he's responding to the loss in this manner. Because if he doesn't, he's screwed.

I kind of agree with Hawk, the foundation when its comes to PR, public image, black cloud over the program, etc has been lifted (especially in the state of Colorado and media). Now obviously he hasn't won yet, but the program is in much better shape to move forward whether its by his coaching staff or a new one.

I haven't been a huge fan of Hawk's coaching but I believe he should be given until next year to turn it around. I know I'm in the minority around here, but I don't think we have the talent to be a consistent winner yet and the best players we have are all underclassmen. I don't follow recruiting very closely other than who we have in commits and what others were offering them (which from what I see this year its not very promising). I don't know what the perception of Colorado is out there for out-of-staters but I have to conclude it still has some lingering image problems from the past. Maybe Hawk needs to make moves on the coaching staff to improve the recruiting or something but its obvious to me in order for us to turn it around it has to start in recruiting and DEVELOPING that talent. I'm a firm believer that we will not be successful without a good quality number of athletes from the state of Texas and California. The state of Colorado doesn't have the quality of athletes to supplement a Big 12 quality program. I won't mention names, but I think about half the guys we have on the roster right now that are from Colorado really aren't Big 12 caliber of players. And I look at the other offers some of these guys have and its Wyoming and the CSU's of the world. I don't care if rivals gave them a 3-star or 4-star or whatever star, I just don't think there are Big 12 quality players.. Could we hit a home run on one or two of those guys? Absolutely. But for the most part, they will not be up to Big 12 standards. We need to find more talent outside the state.

Hawk laid an egg on Sunday and it was an embarrassing performance. I don't dispute that but I'm not ready to pull the plug yet.. He needs to pick it up though.

Also, I don't think Hawk would play Little Hawk if he didn't believe he was the best QB the team had and gave the team the best chance to win.. Now I think its definitely open to debate whether having Little Hawk on the team has hurt Hawk's chances to get a blue-chip QB in here, but I don't believe the argument that Hawk is just playing his son because that's his son.

Hawk is right on one thing, This is definitely not your father's buffs. It hurts, but its reality.

I don't understand the Scott situation at all. The only thing I can think of is that Scott can't pass block (pick up the blitz) which is why he's not in there very much.

\You make some great points but we've heard this speech from hawk before. I want to believe in what he says but after another bad loss he usually starts bringing this stuff up and people think everything will be just fine.

I hope we go out and smoke toledo friday , but if we don't he'll have a hard time selling this to recruits with the losses piling up.

In the grand scheme of things it means nothing. Plenty of rah-rah coaches have had worse records than Hawk..

I just think its different if you are a coach who's outside the box and unconventional (which Hawk is) and its much easier to criticize when its not working (like now). The vast majority of Joe Fan enjoys the rah-rah coaches than the ones who are the even keeled type.
Who hacked into Jimmy's account? :lol:

I understand syko. I really do see your point. I just trust that Hawk knows his team, that's why he's responding to the loss in this manner. Because if he doesn't, he's screwed.

Does he really know his team? Because whatever he said to them before the game sure didn't have them responding to him.

\You make some great points but we've heard this speech from hawk before. I want to believe in what he says but after another bad loss he usually starts bringing this stuff up and people think everything will be just fine.

I hope we go out and smoke toledo friday , but if we don't he'll have a hard time selling this to recruits with the losses piling up.
Hell of a lot riding on Friday, in my opinion....

I just think its different if you are a coach who's outside the box and unconventional (which Hawk is) and its much easier to criticize when its not working (like now). The vast majority of Joe Fan enjoys the rah-rah coaches than the ones who are the even keeled type.

i'm not sure...but i think you just called me joe fan...

:huh:

actually, i really believe that part of being a successful coach is knowing when to turn it up a notch and get in the officials face. i don't recall hawk ever doing that (i could be wrong). there is motivation value in that on a lot of different levels.

it is like being the bow...

actually, i really believe that part of being a successful coach is knowing when to turn it up a notch and get in the officials face. i don't recall hawk ever doing that (i could be wrong). there is motivation value in that on a lot of different levels.

It is not only getting in the ref's face. Hawk does not do ANYTHING on the sideline. From an earlier thread, I asked if he is really coaching. He has delegated everything away, and he is like a blow-up doll on the sideline...

:stupid:

who are you and what have you done with jimmy?

Beneath my rants and raves posts over horrific losses where I need to flame, I sometimes come up with some thoughtful posts. :smile2:

Got to change it up sometimes on you guys.. :lol:

Plus, there's just so many JimmyBuff rant types on the board right now, I wouldn't be adding anything to the board if I just stuck to that that.

Don't worry though, I'm still beyond angry we lost to Nebraska where according to everyone "we tried hard" :rolleyes: :puke:

The CSU loss hurt, but I didn't lose it.. (Part of that is because we got so utterly dominated in the 1st half).

Last edited:

I'm not trying to make this a wrong or right argument. I'm just saying that Hawk would take the same heat he is now even if he was a Gruden type of coach.

Look at Bzdelik. That guy looks like he's ready to bust a gasket on the sidelines. But he's still receiving a lot of heat for not winning.

I can't argue with that. There's no defending the product he placed on the field on Sunday.

I don't need a crazy maniac screaming and showing up players but i'm just saying i'd like to see him more involved with the players on the sideline and get fired up instead of just standing there staring into the abyss.

This bullshat about giving him another year is all well and good except for the fact that there hasn't been any improvement over the last three years. Game one - loss to Montana State 19-10. Game thirty eight - loss to CSU 23-17. It's the same BS, different day. All this jive about laying a foundation is a bunch of talk. I'm willing to give him to the end of the year. Produce 8 wins or hit the road, jack. Your act has worn thin. I don't want to hear about "doing the little things". You go do all the little things you want to. All I care about right now is winning.

Win 8 games and you'll be given the chance to win 8 games again next year. Win 7 games and go update your freaking resume.

It is not only getting in the ref's face. Hawk does not do ANYTHING on the sideline. From an earlier thread, I asked if he is really coaching. He has delegated everything away, and he is like a blow-up doll on the sideline...

That's always been his style though. He let's his coaches coach.

I'm not trying to make this a wrong or right argument. I'm just saying that Hawk would take the same heat he is now even if he was a Gruden type of coach.

Look at Bzdelik. That guy looks like he's ready to bust a gasket on the sidelines. But he's still receiving a lot of heat for not winning.

Gruden is going to deck jabber jaws on monday night football, bank on it :lol:

That's always been his style though. He let's his coaches coach.

No wonder boise is still going strong without him :huh:

It doesn't bother me one bit how Hawkins interacted with the officials following the non-call on the Elijah-Blu - McKnight helmet to helmet collision. A rant wouldn't have accomplished anything after the fact.

Hawk has had plenty of time this week to review the film, quote the rule book, and otherwise administratively rub the noses of the officiating crew in their mistake.

Hawkins going all emo on the refs just to spark his players would be just as disinginious as telling the fans that a national championship is just around the corner.

This point about not displaying adequate emotion is one of those deck chairs on the Titanic things.

The bigger issue is that Hawkins did not adequately get his team ready to play right out of the gates. By the time McKinght got clocked, it would have been too little, too late.

Gruden is going to deck jabber jaws on monday night football, bank on it :lol:
Too bad that other d-bag (Kornheiser, or whatever the hell is name is....) is not around. Would love to see Chuck-E plant his ass.

If he has no ownership in the final product, then he is useless....he will lose all respect of his players.
That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm sure Hawkins will interject when needed, but if he's losing, we as fans will always say he needed to do more.

But you're right. If he doesn't do it when needed, he'll lose the locker room. Then he's ****ed.

Too bad that other d-bag (Kornheiser, or whatever the hell is name is....) is not around. Would love to see Chuck-E plant his ass.

AGREE!! Or that other ass-hat....drawing a complete blank now. Miller?? He's like a republican comedian or something now??

The bigger issue is that Hawkins did not adequately get his team ready to play right out of the gates. By the time McKinght got clocked, it would have been too little, too late.

Not exactly. That play occurred with the score 20-10 with about 9 minutes remaining in the third quarter. If the catch is upheld, and the penalty assessed, CU has the ball on something like the 8 yard line and has first and goal. Score there and it's 20-17 with more than 20 minutes of football to be played.

Is Dan Hawkins telling me that Jim Tressel, a man known for his very calm and reserved nature, would tolerate Michigan coming into the horseshoe, embarassing his football team and allowing their fans to rush his field and stomp on his logo without recognzing the magnitude of the game or understanding what that feels like to a loyal fanbase?

Dan - we Buffs fans will tollerate and even understand a loss here and there, but the way that you're shurgging off a loss in a game that you yourself recognized as a major rivalry game and very important to the fan base is weak. Not only did they embarass our team on the field, they knocked one of our best/favorite players out of the game and let csu fans run onto and disrespect our field. The fact that you've taken no responsibility for the things you're responsible for (game/opponent prep, play callng, playing time *Darrell Scott, ahem*, clock/timeout management, I could keep going) is what has this fanbase pissed off so early into the season.

dudehead...

i'm not talking about yelling at the top of his lungs. i'm talking about working the officials when he has a guy laid out on the field. most teams respond to that. and the crowd responds to that. and...ultimately the officials respond to that.

get a clue...

He was walking out to check on Scotty last time I saw it. What a prick!

That's not what I'm trying to say.

exactly why I "came at you". :thumbsup:

It doesn't bother me one bit how Hawkins interacted with the officials following the non-call on the Elijah-Blu - McKnight helmet to helmet collision. A rant wouldn't have accomplished anything after the fact.

Hawk has had plenty of time this week to review the film, quote the rule book, and otherwise administratively rub the noses of the officiating crew in their mistake.

Hawkins going all emo on the refs just to spark his players would be just as disinginious as telling the fans that a national championship is just around the corner.

This point about not displaying adequate emotion is one of those deck chairs on the Titanic things.

I'm a pretender to the crown. You should've won the MVP Stoudt award. :thumbsup:

Back