What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk: speculation on my job security purely media-driven

I don't have to be a plumber to know my faucet is leaking. 14-26 is a leaky faucet...enough said.

I don't have to be a plumber to know my faucet is leaking. 14-26 is a leaky faucet...enough said.

Don't like Hawkins and I have had enough. But, from a cup half full perspective...we are now above .500.--not good, but finding the positive stats usually takes some digging. without going in to great detail about our rankings amongst our big 12 counterparts...basically we are near last in every category after this weekend.

Don't like Hawkins and I have had enough. But, from a cup half full perspective...we are now above .500.--not good, but finding the positive stats usually takes some digging. without going in to great detail about our rankings amongst our big 12 counterparts...basically we are near last in every category after this weekend.

:confused:

That's not above .500, man. Not even close. We need to go on a 12-game winning streak just to reach .500.

I find that Hawkins really makes it difficult for me to like...Hawkins.

I don't like "tude...and he has it big time. He reminds me on Kanye West...all mouth.

I find myself in the same boat. I was very positive about this hire but was in a wait and see mode going into this season. I'm very disappointed with the start of the year but I have not been calling for Hawk's head. His reaction to all of this, however, is just making it hard to support him.

I still maintain that he created the expectations by which he's being judged and so he doesn't have the right to take such an attitude about it. Start showing progress and start living up to the hype you spout. Don't get pissy about people calling you on it when you don't.

So, for the next 10 1/2 days, are we going to be subjected to nothing but complaining about and berating Dan Hawkins? :huh:

hey great effort though sd, can you play wide out

So, for the next 10 1/2 days, are we going to be subjected to nothing but complaining about and berating Dan Hawkins? :huh:

If Hawkins is going to spew more quotes out like the one in the post game press conference, then, yes, there will be more complaining from me.

Yep, as long as hawk keeps making stupid quotes, blaming media and acting his usual arrogant smug self ....

We could discuss if simmons or simas will get any playing time but we already know the answer.

10 1/2 days? You are an optimist! Its a safe bet this will continue until the SOB is gone!

Piling on ^^^this^^^. I find it incredibly offensive to get lectured on coming back from adversity when it comes from a guy who has been paid $1 million a year to fail (going on his 4th year). Most people make less than 1/10 what Hawkins does and if their job performance was even close to his they'd be unemployed. Hell, in this economy a lot of people who performed better than him are unemployed from their low-paying jobs. **** him and his arrogance. He's a public employee and he acts like he's above criticism from those of us that are paying his salary and investing a lot of ourselves to support the CU program.

I have made this point myself several times and agree 100%. This guy makes a lot of money. When you make 7 figures in our society, expectations are going to be high, regardless of circumstance or fairness.

As a recent CU grad who did the right thing and got solid grades in a solid major at a solid university who has found it borderline impossible to secure any kind of employment, this kind of stuff does rub me the wrong way, a little bit.

:popcorn:

Great thread guys, everyone has pretty much covered what I would have said. Only thing I would add is
You are 14-26 Hawk, STFU and win some damn games. You don't have a lifetime appointment as Head Coach at CU.

And to DBT, the only way Hawk turns the fanbase around is WINNING Big.. And that means like a conference title, etc. Until then, you will continue to have more people against Hawk than for him. He lost any patience from the fanbase based on his team performance in the first two games of the year.. A few wins here and there will not make people forget that.. That's just reality.

Even a recovery to a 6-6 season will not change the minds of the majority of the fanbase. .

Barnett recovered in a similar situation after 2001 with the loss to Fresno State. We'll see if Hawk can repeat that in the near future instead of whining like he's doing here to the media.

Last edited:

Great thread guys, everyone has pretty much covered what I would have said. Only thing I would add is
You are 14-26 Hawk, STFU and win some damn games. You don't have a lifetime appointment as Head Coach at CU.

And to DBT, the only way Hawk turns the fanbase around is WINNING Big.. And that means like a conference title, etc. Until then, you will continue to have more people against Hawk than for him. He lost any patience from the fanbase based on his team performance in the first two games of the year.. A few wins here and there will not make people forget that.. That's just reality.

Even a recovery to a 6-6 season will not change the minds of the majority of the fanbase. .

Barnett recovered in a similar situation after 2001 with the loss to Fresno State. We'll see if Hawk can repeat that in the near future instead of whining like he's doing here to the media.

He'd be better off blaming himself instead of everyone but him for his 14-26 record,but that was media driven too.:rolleyes:

Barney didn't go 0-2 before hand either. He and his team didnt look like a dear in the headlights the entire game. We were driving and we were running a strong offense. Ochs got picked in the end zone while we were trying to score. The kid who picked him was a senior and remember the play from film and knew exactly where to go. Game came down to one play. Big, big difference between then and now imho.

Barney didn't go 0-2 before hand either. He and his team didnt look like a dear in the headlights the entire game. We were driving and we were running a strong offense. Ochs got picked in the end zone while we were trying to score. The kid who picked him was a senior and remember the play from film and knew exactly where to go. Game came down to one play. Big, big difference between then and now imho.

Troo. Losing in a close game is much different than getting manhandled by two of the softest teams on our schedule.

And how has Hawk done at CU in comparsion to Barnett, Neushiel, McCartney, and even Crowder? Wasn't Hawk saying that he was up to the challenge? He clearly hasn't met that challenge and that is why the fans & media are giving him a hard time. CU's standards are that CU competes for league championships and Hawk's CU teams are nowhere close to doing that.

I agree that a 6-6 record would hardly show any progress for the Buffs if the Buffs manage to finish with a record like that.

That Fresno team was very good. They were ranked like 8th in the country for a while. I doubt CSU and Toledo are going to reach the top 30, let alone the top 10. This comparison bugs about as much as the Mac 0-4 start.

That Fresno team was very good. They were ranked like 8th in the country for a while. I doubt CSU and Toledo are going to reach the top 30, let alone the top 10. This comparison bugs about as much as the Mac 0-4 start.

The 2001 Fresno team great. They beat CU, Oregon St (SI pre-season #1) and Wisconsin to start the year.

At least when CU lost that game they were in the game. INT in the end zone to end the game trying for a win.

Wasn't a Buff fan yet when it comes to 1986 but if you look at the scores of those games, CU looked like they were competitive in those four games. CU lost close ones on the road at Ohio State and Arizona and those two were good football teams at the time. Don't know about Oregon in Eugene. But those were three tough non-conference road games at the time and eventually the Buffs gave OU a run for the Big 8.

can we honestly say the same thing about this year's Buffs squad? I don't think so.

And how has Hawk done at CU in comparsion to Barnett, Neushiel, McCartney, and even Crowder? Wasn't Hawk saying that he was up to the challenge? He clearly hasn't met that challenge and that is why the fans & media are giving him a hard time. CU's standards are that CU competes for league championships and Hawk's CU teams are nowhere close to doing that.

I agree that a 6-6 record would hardly show any progress for the Buffs if the Buffs manage to finish with a record like that.

Sub 500 seasons in Red

McCartney:
1982 Colorado 2-8-1 1-5-1 T-6th
1983 Colorado 4-7 2-5 T-6th
1984 Colorado 1-10 1-6 7th

1985 Colorado 7-5 4-3 3rd L Freedom Bowl
1986 Colorado 6-6 6-1 2nd L Bluebonnet Bowl
1987 Colorado 7-4 4-3 4th
1988 Colorado 8-4 4-3 4th L Freedom Bowl
1989 Colorado 11-1 7-0 1st L Orange Bowl 4
1990 Colorado 11-1-1 7-0 1st W Orange Bowl 2 1
1991 Colorado 8-3-1 6-0-1 T-1st L Blockbuster Bowl 20
1992 Colorado 9-2-1 5-1-1 2nd L Fiesta Bowl 13
1993 Colorado 8-3-1 5-1-1 2nd W Aloha Bowl 16
1994 Colorado 11-1 6-1 T-2nd W Fiesta Bowl

Neuheisal:
1995 Colorado 10–2 5–2 T-2nd W Cotton
1996 Colorado 10–2 7–1 2nd W Holiday 8 8
1997 Colorado 5–6* 3–5* T-4th — —
1998 Colorado 8–4 4–4 4th W Aloha — —

Barnett:
1999 Colorado 7-5 5-3 3rd (North Division W, 62-28 Insight.com Bowl
2000 Colorado 3-8 3-5 4th (North Division)
2001 Colorado 10-3 7-1 1st L, 38-16 Fiesta Bowl † 9 9
2002 Colorado 9-5 7-1 1st (North Division) L, 31-28 (OT) Alamo Bowl 21 20
2003 Colorado 5-7 3-5 T-4th (North Division)
2004 Colorado 8-5 4-4 1st (North Division) W, 33-28 EV1.net Houston Bowl
2005 Colorado 7-5 5-3 1st (North Division) L, 19-10 Champs Sports Bowl

Hawkins:
2006 Colorado 2–10 2–6
2007 Colorado 6–7 4–4 L Independence
2008 Colorado 5–7 2–6
2009 Colorado 1-2 0-0

With Mac he replaced Fairbanks who went 7-26 (3-8, 1-10, 3-8) in 3 seasons and left Bill an empty cupboard. I just wonder how bad it really was at the end of Barnetts tenure. Hawkins, through 3 seasons, was 13-24 by way of comparison.

Last edited:
Sub 500 seasons in Red

McCartney:
1982 Colorado 2-8-1 1-5-1 T-6th
1983 Colorado 4-7 2-5 T-6th
1984 Colorado 1-10 1-6 7th
1985 Colorado 7-5 4-3 3rd L Freedom Bowl
1986 Colorado 6-6 6-1 2nd L Bluebonnet Bowl
1987 Colorado 7-4 4-3 4th
1988 Colorado 8-4 4-3 4th L Freedom Bowl

Neuheisal:
1995 Colorado 10–2 5–2 T-2nd W Cotton
1996 Colorado 10–2 7–1 2nd W Holiday 8 8
1997 Colorado 5–6* 3–5* T-4th — —
1998 Colorado 8–4 4–4 4th W Aloha — —

Barnett:
1999 Colorado 7-5 5-3 3rd (North Division W, 62-28 Insight.com Bowl
2000 Colorado 3-8 3-5 4th (North Division)
2001 Colorado 10-3 7-1 1st L, 38-16 Fiesta Bowl † 9 9
2002 Colorado 9-5 7-1 1st (North Division) L, 31-28 (OT) Alamo Bowl 21 20
2003 Colorado 5-7 3-5 T-4th (North Division)
2004 Colorado 8-5 4-4 1st (North Division) W, 33-28 EV1.net Houston Bowl
2005 Colorado 7-5 5-3 1st (North Division) L, 19-10 Champs Sports Bowl

Hawkins:
2006 Colorado 2–10 2–6
2007 Colorado 6–7 4–4 L Independence
2008 Colorado 5–7 2–6
2009 Colorado 1-2 0-0

With Mac he replaced Fairbanks who went 7-26 in 3 seasons and left Bill an empty cupboard. I just wonder how bad it really was at the end of Barnetts tenure. Hawkins, through 3 seasons, was 13-24 by way of comparison.

What happened to 1989 and 1990? You left that out.... We all know about 1990, here is 1989 from Wiki:

When the final regular season poll for 1989 was released, the Colorado Buffaloes had taken only seven years to go from 110th to number one in the country. They played in the Orange Bowl against Notre Dame on January 1, 1990. They lost to Notre Dame, 21–6, and ended the year number four in the nation.

What happened to 1989 and 1990? You left that out.... We all know about 1990, here is 1989 from Wiki:

When the final regular season poll for 1989 was released, the Colorado Buffaloes had taken only seven years to go from 110th to number one in the country. They played in the Orange Bowl against Notre Dame on January 1, 1990. They lost to Notre Dame, 21–6, and ended the year number four in the nation.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I was trying to show what happened after the first few seasons. Mac never turned in another losing season. Everyone after him had one within the first few years.

Therefore, Mac > Neu + Barney > Hawkins ≥ Fairbanks

In conclusion, the football program at CU appears to have navigated back into the abyss of the late 1970s.

The 2001 Fresno team great. They beat CU, Oregon St (SI pre-season #1) and Wisconsin to start the year.

At least when CU lost that game they were in the game. INT in the end zone to end the game trying for a win.

The fact that Oregon St was a preseason #1 the last time the Buffs were nationally relevant makes it feel like it was a hundred years ago.

Back