What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawk supposed to be interviewed on AM 1510

I would be happier if Dan Hawkins answered every question with "Go Buffs!" and then said next question.

I've gotta say something. I don't know why Hawkins comes across so poorly. I think a lot of it has to do with failed expectations among the fans and the media. I do think he is a good guy. I also know for a fact that the players love the guy. One other thing I know is that Hawkins pays attention to the kid's academics and holds them accountable. Aside from winning, which I hope begins to happen, he really works at doing things the right way in all areas. So, to see him continually get ripped here just gets on my nerves. And, yeah, I criticize him for some of his public "sound bite" things. But I think I cringe at them because I want him to succeed as opposed to those who just don't like the guy.

You truly are a broken record.

The job description for football HC was not changed for Juicebox. Every coach that was at CU prior to Juice held kids accountable, tried to get them to class, and pass classes. How many academic inelligeble players has Juice had? I would guess that it is around the same number as previous coaches. Hawk has had players arrested since he arrived, just like other coaches.

I'm so sick of the AD, Admin, Juice, and YOU talk about molding players into first class citizens blah blah blah like it is some new job description that no other school in the nation has. Every coach good coach in football cares for their players, and wants them to be a success on and off the field.

And what the F**K does "he really works at doing things the right way in all areas" mean? His number 1 job decsprition should be WIN. His team ranked 110 or worse in every offensive statistic for 2009. 119 in total penalties per game.

Juicebox gets ripped by the fans and media for one reason only- 16 wins in 4 seasons.

If Juicebox had racked up 30 wins do you think anyone would be ripping the guy? We would all be talking about our quirky coach that says strange things, but what the hell, the guy wins games.

I want CU to succeed as much as anyone. Unlike you, I realize that the only way that can happen is without Juicebox.

You truly are a broken record.
I'm a broken record but you guys aren't? :lol: I guess its a one way street, eh? "Juicebox" this and "Juicebox" that, blah, blah, blah. Grow the **** up and stop calling him childish names!

Last edited:
I believe that the athletic department (Bohn and Hawkins) have to submit the request through the university (DiStefano) and if authorized there then goes onto the agenda for the Board of Regents to vote on for final approval. I don't think any single contract for that much money can be approved without the BofR's authority.
So has the Board of Regent's ever NOT renewed a contract for an assistant coach?

If not then the multi-year contracts that our assistant's don't get is more tied to the head football coach. As long as he is the coach and your doing your job then you have nothing to worry about.

This entire communication is a broken ****ing record. Hawkins isn't going anywhere unless he decides of his own accord to:

1) Take a job someplace else (I am doing my best to pimp him to my Catholic friends)

or

2) Resigns.

So has the Board of Regent's ever NOT renewed a contract for an assistant coach?

I have no idea about that. I'm sure that it is basically a formality.

If not then the multi-year contracts that our assistant's don't get is more tied to the head football coach. As long as he is the coach and your doing your job then you have nothing to worry about.

Exactly, which is what DiStefano's comments about the issue are. He doesn't want to give long-term contracts (even if they could) to assistants because he does not want alot of contracts to buyout if the HC is fired.

The issue is overlooked however when things are going good. Say, such and such an assistant is being coveted by other programs that can offer him a 3-year guaranteed deal to be their new O-line coach. Even if that coach wants to stay here, the security of that 3 year deal will most likely outweigh the "fear of the unknown".

There are, of course, some exceptions like Brian Cabral that has been here for so long that it is silly to think he cares about the 1 year contract deal. And other programs can't "recruit against" the possibility of him not being there for another couple of years.

That is the concern that some fans have with the 2010 being considered a "lame duck" year for Hawk and staff, is that we will be recruited against with this to high schoolers. Committing to Cabral might be alot easier knowing he has been through alot of staff changes, but will a DL recruit or OL recruit feel the same way if the HC, OC, DC and maybe even his position coach will all change before he even gets on the team?

I assume the "Wade" you're talking about was the guy that called in after Hawk left for his staffer and let Hawk have it. It was hilarious.

Wade used to have a radio show on the CU radio station way back in the very early Barnett days. I think he even worked in the athletic department for a brief period of time.

I haven't heard from Wade in forever. He was a good guy with a decent pulse on the goings on in Dal Ward...

Hah yeah, it was him I think. I'm pretty sure I recall him saying he worked on campus somewhere the first year Hawk was there. He really let him have it, even referred to him as Talkins.

Good god he was just on 1510 again.

And I quote "Cody is definitly in the mix at qb". Let it go DAN. If Cody comes out of spring ball as the qb. Tyler will be GONE.

"We need to lift one more weight, eat just a little better, throw the ball around just a little more".

"13 games since he has been here have been one score or less". You would think that just by chance that the sun would shine on a dogs ass and they could make some coaching decisions to win a few of these games.

I am sending Bohn an e-mail this afternoon telling him to keep his coach off of the airwaves.

And I quote "Cody is definitly in the mix at qb". Let it go DAN. If Cody comes out of spring ball as the qb. Tyler will be GONE.

"We need to lift one more weight, eat just a little better, throw the ball around just a little more".

"13 games since he has been here have been one score or less". You would think that just by chance that the sun would shine on a dogs ass and they could make some coaching decisions to win a few of these games.

I am sending Bohn an e-mail this afternoon telling him to keep his coach off of the airwaves.

13 games have been lost by one score or less since he's been here? Is that what that's saying? Considering the fact that he's lost 33 games since he's been here, that's 20 games lost by more than 1 score in 4 years. And average of 5 losses by more than one score each year. That is NOT a positive stat, Dan... :huh:

Wyoming 2009.
CSU 2008.
Miami of Ohio 2007.

Ummmm. Those are off the top of my head. Have the Buffs under DH won any other games by more than a single score?

Wyoming 2009.
CSU 2008.
Miami of Ohio 2007.

Ummmm. Those are off the top of my head. Have the Buffs under DH won any other games by more than a single score?

TT 2006 comes to mind...

EDIT:

Also

ISU 2006
Baylor 2007
Nubs 2007

That's all of them...

Last edited:
13 games have been lost by one score or less since he's been here? Is that what that's saying? Considering the fact that he's lost 33 games since he's been here, that's 20 games lost by more than 1 score in 4 years. And average of 5 losses by more than one score each year. That is NOT a positive stat, Dan... :huh:

Exactly. That's the same as his we were 10 plays away from a bowl game. Hey Dan, there's a flip side to that coin; you were also 10 plays away from going win-less.

:bang: I think even the most die hard of Cody supporters would agree that without Tyler at QB, we lose the A&M and KU games. It's over Dan, your kid, like millions of others, won't ever be a big time college quarterback.

Exactly. That's the same as his we were 10 plays away from a bowl game. Hey Dan, there's a flip side to that coin; you were also 10 plays away from going win-less.

Not quite, but he was two plays from going 1-11. TWO.

Good God this is like a horrific version of Groundhog Day. Didn't we just go through all this? Cody in the mix? A 3-4 win season upcoming? AHHHHHH!!!! Screaming is about all we can do.

Cody needs to be in the mix for getting the juiceboxes and making sure they have enough for everybody. Make sure there's plenty of ice to keep them cold, too. Can't have lukewarm juiceboxes. That just won't do.

Ideal situation for me is that we're able to redshirt both Legaux and Hirschman and have Evans as the backup, with Cody as the emergency QB. Have all three back-up Hansen in 2011, and then have a knock-down, drag out battle royal for the starting job in 2012.

Actually, this is pretty good comedy...Cody is in the mix? I, along with 12 DC's, are chuckling...

Is anyone really surprised by this? Frustrated, maybe, but surprised?

Cody will be a senior next year... It will be the last opportunity Cody will have to play football, ever. Juicebox knows he will not be retained following next season - he has nothing to lose. For these reasons, I honestly expect that we will see A LOT of Cody at QB next season. It will be ugly. And yes, there will be blood.:smile2:

Is anyone really surprised by this? Frustrated, maybe, but surprised?

Cody will be a senior next year... It will be the last opportunity Cody will have to play football, ever. Juicebox knows he will not be retained following next season - he has nothing to lose. For these reasons, I honestly expect that we will see A LOT of Cody at QB next season. It will be ugly. And yes, there will be blood.:smile2:

If that's the case, things could get really ugly. After watching this season it is blatantly obvious that Cody is not a D1 QB and he doesn't hold a candle to Hansen with regards to potential or skill set... if Hawk torpedoes the program just to get his son some PT... I've seen this type of thing before, and like I said it could get really ugly

Last edited:
If that's the case, things could get really ugly. After watching this season it is blatantly obvious that Cody is not a D1 QB and he doesn't hold a candle to Hansen with regards to potential or skill set... if Hawk torpedoes the program just to get his son some PT... I've seen this type of thing before, and like I said it could get really ugly

somebody needs to gillooly codys knee:smile2:

I would find it hard to believe that Hawkins would play Cody alot just because he could end up being a lame duck coach. IMO that would be coaching suicide. He would assure himself of never being hired as a Div I coach for the rest of his life. Maybe let Cody play a few downs on senior day or start because of an injury.

As BuffNik mentioned, Hawkins needs a media trainer. I’m convinced after four years the guy has no clue how to show respect to the media, alum, and fan base. When it comes to public speaking or performing interviews, this is an area where the media trainer might be able to help Hawkins.

What the media trainer probably can’t do, is get Hawkins to practice what he preaches. If it’s been said once, it’s been said a thousand times on this board that Hawkins won’t man up and accept any responsibility and be accountable. He expects everyone else to do it but him. You can’t have it both ways. This is where Bohn needs to get involved. Not that he will, but honestly I can’t think of another Div I coach who comes off this way as often as Hawkins does.

I would find it hard to believe that Hawkins would play Cody alot just because he could end up being a lame duck coach. IMO that would be coaching suicide. He would assure himself of never being hired as a Div I coach for the rest of his life. Maybe let Cody play a few downs on senior day or start because of an injury.

As BuffNik mentioned, Hawkins needs a media trainer. I’m convinced after four years the guy has no clue how to show respect to the media, alum, and fan base. When it comes to public speaking or performing interviews, this is an area where the media trainer might be able to help Hawkins.

What the media trainer probably can’t do, is get Hawkins to practice what he preaches. If it’s been said once, it’s been said a thousand times on this board that Hawkins won’t man up and accept any responsibility and be accountable. He expects everyone else to do it but him. You can’t have it both ways. This is where Bohn needs to get involved. Not that he will, but honestly I can’t think of another Div I coach who comes off this way as often as Hawkins does.

I am fairly sure this has been accomplished already.:huh:

After 3-9, no position should be completely safe (even if it is :wink2:).

Why the F U C K are you people ripping Cody? I've never heard a bad thing about the kid. He came in against okie st. and marched us down the field to a TD. He took his benching like a man. Maybe you guys ought to show the same class. Sorry, but this Cody bashing **** pisses me off. If he weren't Hawkins' son, you guys wouldn't say jack **** about him.

Why the F U C K are you people ripping Cody? I've never heard a bad thing about the kid. He came in against okie st. and marched us down the field to a TD. He took his benching like a man. Maybe you guys ought to show the same class. Sorry, but this Cody bashing **** pisses me off. If he weren't Hawkins' son, you guys wouldn't say jack **** about him.

It's bullszhit, but it's not just because he's the coach's son. He's among the lunchpail Rudys that people go off on all the time. I actually think that him being a quarterback plays into it more than him being the coach's son. If Cody played Center (like walk-on Keenan Stevens), I don't think much of a deal would be made of it.

Back