1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawkins comment on three, four, and five star players at Big 12 Media days

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by NashBuff, Jul 28, 2010.

1. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

2. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

How exactly do you split a quarterback with a razor hair? What is a razor hair?

3. Wise Old Man

Wise Old Man Member

Hmm. It could be true. Only reason being there are only a very small number of players who get the five stars. Lets say theirs 40 five stars per year. but 400 three stars in that same recruiting cycle. And there's roughly 244 players drafted each year. So out the majority of the slots could be filled with 3* and 4*. I still think though that the 5* are ranked that for a reason.

4. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

Of course there are, there are more 3* players in college football. Just through sheer numbers, since the recruiting services generally use a bell curve, the vast majority of college players are 3*. More players in the NFL will have started off as 3* than 4* and 5*. A higher PERCENTAGE of 4* and 5* do make it to the NFL than 3*, but even if 20% of 3* move on, that's a greater NUMBER of players than the total 4* and 5* players that will move on.

5. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

It's one of the little things, you know, that we look at and say, "we're fired up to go out and fix."

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Absolutely true. Also absolutely true that the odds of the 4* or 5* being an NFL-caliber player (barring injury) are much higher than the odds with a 3*.

The comment from Hawk is the type of thing coaches say when they're not pulling in very many 4* and 5* guys. I feel pretty confident that Hawk would trade our last 2 recruiting classes for Florida's.

7. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Everything is awesome, and everybody is fired up, this guy is comical. It is PMA all the way. If he were on the Titanic he would be talking about how awesome the night's dinner was and how well they polished the handrails as they went down. You know, it is the little things.

Bottom line, if you only tell kids how great they are, when by any objective standard there are many areas where improvement is required, you are really telling them the failures are acceptable, and you give them little incentive to do better because whatever they do, no matter how mediocre, they will be told how great they are.:rolling_eyes:

I remain amazed at the guy's lucky streak, it is sad it ran out just before he got to Boulder.

8. BuffTuba

BuffTuba Club Member Club Member

The whole quote was really interesting I thought. It seems the media were giving DH some props. Here is the excerpt of the entire question and answer. I'm not defending his answer just thought the whole quote was interesting.

9. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I see no real problem with this answer in context. Its not like he said he wasn't going to help out a white farmer or something.

10. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

the real terminology trick here is that 3 stars may be "diamonds in the rough" for UT or OU or even ATM some years....but they are among the better commits and upper third of our class the last two years. i'd guess. close to it.

11. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

That's the thing, every squad LIKES to have a couple of those diamonds in the rough rise up and excel. The problem is that Hawk MUST have diamonds in the rough rise up to succeed. It can't work year in and year out.

12. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Recruiting has been a result of our record. We have more guys and depth now than anytime since 2005 and maybe 2001. Time to put up or shut up. Put up, and recruiting will take care of itself.

13. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I don't have an issue with his response to that question.

14. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

This.

15. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

meh

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  16. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

[video=youtube;lhmjnYKlVnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhmjnYKlVnM[/video]