What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins dismissal seems like a foregone conclusion...

Again, your criteria and mine hinge on this;
Athletic Success > Academic success
Frankly, the greater than symbol has been turned the other way for quite some time now. If they do hire a great recruiter it will be someone who will have to accept eliminating certain kids because they can't get past Distefano's admissions window. I don't believe the will is there with Benson or Distefano to become a football juggernaut again and admit kids like Eric Bienemy and Michael Westbrook and then tolerate their transgressions in the name of gridiron glory.

I believe Distefano will add three requirements to the hire; 1. Must produce high graduation rate. 2. Must be an affordable candidate. 3. Must sport wood over Al Gore's environmental views.

I wish it were different.

FIFY:smile2:

Actually I don't necessarily want a big name. I want the AD to do due diligence in the hiring process, something that does not seem to be in Mike Bohn's makeup. He tends to focus on a single candidate and ignores any warning signs. Eddie Crowder was not a big name, Bill McCartney was not a big name - but in those cases CU went through a process to find the right guy.

Here is my recommended basic criteria for a HC....1. Someone who is known as a great recruiter. 2. Someone who has been mentored in a major BCS program under a top coach. 3. Someone who has held a coordinator position at a BCS school, and 4. Someone who is a fit with the program.
You don't know how large the search was when Hawk was hired. Chuck Neinas was hired as the search consultant, the only names we know are the few who said they weren't contacted. Neinas is recognized around the country as the best search consultant in the game. Your argument is hollow.

You don't know how large the search was when Hawk was hired. Chuck Neinas was hired as the search consultant, the only names we know are the few who said they weren't contacted. Neinas is recognized around the country as the best search consultant in the game. Your argument is hollow.

Yeah. He did great job. Lets hire him again. :cry:

Again, your criteria and mine hinge on this;
Athletic Success > Academic success
Frankly, the greater than symbol has been turned the other way for quite some time now. If they do hire a great recruiter it will be someone who will have to accept eliminating certain kids because they can't get past Distefano's admissions window. I don't believe the will is there with Benson or Distefano to become a football juggernaut again and admit kids like Eric Bienemy and Michael Westbrook and then tolerate their transgressions in the name of gridiron glory.

I believe Distefano will add two requirements to the hire; 1. Must produce high graduation rate. 2. Must be an affordable candidate.

I wish it were different.

The whole thing on academic barriers are a manufactured red herring. Yes, CU has solid academic admission standards but they are not as overbearing as many schools...like Northwestern and Stanford to name a couple...

CU has recruited the following recently...

Darrell Scott, Ryan Miller, M. Simas, Shaun Mohler, Ryan Deehan, Max Tuioti-Mariner, Ray Polk, Jon Major, Bryce Givens, Jack Harris, Nick Kasa, Andre Simmons - these guys are all 4 and 5 star recruits and got into CU. The academic thing is thrown out there because Hawkins needs excuses. IMO, CU can return to top program status with the right people running the program.

The whole thing on academic barriers are a manufactured red herring. Yes, CU has solid academic admission standards but they are not as overbearing as many schools...like Northwestern and Stanford to name a couple...

Darrell Scott, Ryan Miller, M. Simas, Shaun Mohler, Ryan Deehan, Max Tuioti-Mariner, Ray Polk, Jon Major, Bryce Givens, Jack Harris, Nick Kasa, Andre Simmons - these guys are all 4 and 5 star recruits and got into CU. The academic thing is thrown out there because Hawkins needs excuses. IMO, CU can return to top program status with the right people running the program.

WTF are you talking about. 4 and 5 star guys have to be an academic liability?

You are wrong --- I do know. Mike Bohn had one candidate for HC - he hired Neinas because they are old buddies (Bohn worked for him at one time).

He gave a courtesy Interview to Embree - which satisfied a couple of criteria and had a conversation with Dave Logan which Logan described as NOT Interview.

You are wrong --- I do know. Mike Bohn had one candidate for HC - he hired Neinas because they are old buddies (Bohn worked for him at one time).

He gave a courtesy Interview to Embree - which satisfied a couple of criteria and had a conversation with Dave Logan which Logan described as NOT Interview.
Sure, whatever.

I hope your right. But we don't play in the same conference as NW or Standford and our admissions are likely only 2nd to Texas. Furthermore, the occasional 7 win season or extremely rare 11 win season at NW and Standford is not what I want for CU.

I want to be top 25 pre season every year again.

I expect my team to be competitive if not victorious against any top 25 foe including those at the top 5.

I want 7+ wins to be the norm again rather than the exception. Seven wins being the low point with more wins being the average.

I want to beat NU regularly and I want them to be good when we do it.

I know I am asking too much. Pardon me for being raised 4 blocks from The U in the 80s, playing catch with Vinny Testaverde after high school, and attending CU at the Zenith of its athletic history. I'm spoiled.

If you think about it, there are ~120 Division 1 programs. Maybe 30 of those programs are in any way relevant at any given time. So that's about 25%. If you look at those 30 programs that matter, they probably went through 3 coaches, on average, to get the one they have now.

Great coaches are freaks of nature. We've been pretty blessed here over the past 30 years or so to have had 2 who I would put in that category. Moral of the story is: we can probably find another one, but it's not Hawkins and it may not be his successor. We may have to spend awhile sifting through the chaff to find another kernel of greatness.

If you think about it, there are ~120 Division 1 programs. Maybe 30 of those programs are in any way relevant at any given time. So that's about 25%. If you look at those 30 programs that matter, they probably went through 3 coaches, on average, to get the one they have now.

Great coaches are freaks of nature. We've been pretty blessed here over the past 30 years or so to have had 2 who I would put in that category. Moral of the story is: we can probably find another one, but it's not Hawkins and it may not be his successor. We may have to spend awhile sifting through the chaff to find another kernel of greatness.

Curiosity is tugging at the hem of my soul to ask you the name of who you think the 2nd one is/was... Your answer is probably going to be a little sticky :lol:

Back