1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawkins doing games for ESPN this fall

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Buffnik, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

ESPN announced its college football announcers for this season Wednesday.
    Former Boise State and Colorado coach Dan Hawkins will serve as the analyst for ESPNU’s Saturday afternoon games. The play-by-play announcer is Pam Ward.

Hawkins won four WAC titles at Boise State, where he was the coach from 2001 to 2005, but was fired last year to end a rough tenure at Colorado.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/07/20/ccripe/boise_state_georgia_wear_nike_pro_combat_uniforms_season_opener

If I have to listen to Dan Halkins call a CU game this fall, I'm going to have to fly to Bristol and start kicking some ass. Bad enough that the team of Halkins and Ward will keep me from watching ESPN on Saturday afternoons this year when CU is away. Why do people hire this clown?

:bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

2. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

He's probably going to be doing the Big East game that no one cares about it. Not concerned.

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

People round the country will now know what we dealt with for the last 5 years.

4. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

He will probably end up doing our Hawaii game that the East Coast won't give a **** about at 3 in the morning. Annoying.

5. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Hawk and Pam Ward? Brutal...

6. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Do what I did during the Cosell years of MNF: turn off the TV volume and turn on the radio. Hank Stram on the radio kicked butt!

7. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

I bet he does a pretty good job. He's actually comes across as a pretty likable guy that is fairly well informed and is easy to luke until he ****s over your football team. I still think he's well meaning and wish the guy no harm in any future endeavors. I just don't want him coaching at CU anymore. I don't think they'd assign him to a CU game and I'm pretty glad about that 'cause the last thing I want is for Pam Ward to be calling one of our games.

Ruckus and (deleted member) like this.
  8. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

It's more about flashbacks...

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

When it comes down to it, I don't care about D2. I care about me. There is absolutely no way I could possibly deal with watching a Ward-Halkins broadcast. If they put them on a Buffs game, it will be absolute torture. I guess there's hope that we'd have the local radio broadcast I could listen to with the tv muted.

10. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Gandhi and Martin Luther King quotes for all!

11. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

[​IMG]

whatthebuff likes this.
  12. buffalofart

buffalofart Member

Cinch it up. I know detest is a verb but for Hawk it should be a noun. Gunga galunga rodent. I won't be watching.

13. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I really, really hope that ESPiN is smart enough to not put Hack on a CU broadcast this year. But this is ESPiN, so he'll probably do every CU game they carry....

14. Buffs@5345'

Buffs@5345' Club Member Club Member

Great opportunity for him to expand on his theory that good teams win in spite of their coaches. Thankfully we will have tailgates and games to attend!

15. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i bet the inevitable anecdotal "asides" will be unbearable. he'll have to figure out how not to talk about himself, first thing.

16. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

haha, and I always used to think that Pam Ward and Craig James were the worst......... this is awesome.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

"Well you see, Pam, they just didn't bring their lunchpails, that's what's killing this team. That, and the little things. They really need to work on the little things and then this deal will pop".

18. The Guest

The Guest Guest

No way we can get him behind the desk with Bob Davie?

19. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Thankfully, THAT game will be televised on the the Deuce, so we'll miss him on that go around.

20. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

These games will have no losers. There will be a winning team and a team that "just has to clean some things up."

21. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Hawk and Pam Ward :rofl::wow:

That's going to have to be muted. No other option. Listening to her respond to Hawk-zen simply is not an option. Watching college football on weekends is supposed to be a time of enjoyment

22. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

I defended him for a long time, but I never could understand what he said. It wasn't that it was complex, it was circular. It was completely incoherent babble. He rarely finished a sentence before redirecting in a different direction. I had no idea what he was talking about most of the time.

And now I hate him. So please ESPN spare us.

23. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

Could make a interesting drinking game.

24. Buffsoldier

Buffsoldier Well-Known Member

I can't believe ESPN actually bought his bull****.

25. whatthebuff

whatthebuff Club Member Club Member

"Libby" giving that look, haha.

Was Pam Ward the one who did those crappy 10 am big 10 games? We need a better way to begin the college football saturdays. If I wake up at 10 and flip on Indiana vs Penn St and hear Dan ****ing Hawkins I'm going back to bed.

26. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Always Pam Ward. Always involving that "can't miss" Minnesota/Indiana game. I can name a whole bunch of recently dismissed coaches who would be far better in this position than Hawkins. He isn't going to be providing soundbites like "this ain't intramurals", he's just going to talk in circles. Maybe they can assign him a Mizzou game and he can tell the audience how the opponent can stop Mizzou's offense, I'd love to hear that one.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  27. 77buff

77buff Well-Known Member

Cosell was aggravating, Hawkns is unbearable.

28. 66BUFF

66BUFF FTW Club Member

always watched pam ward games on mute last year so nothing will change

29. SteelCity Buff

SteelCity Buff Member

The pool of on air talent at espn definitely seems to be shrinking. For play by play, the only two I really cared to hear were Patrick and the old dude who got booted for calling the sideline reporter sugar pants- ahhhg, forgot his name. I like Fowler, too, but he's usually only doing a crappy Thursday night game, since he's on the desk all Saturday.

The color commentators are even a smaller pool. Speilman, Davies, James and Holtz are horrible to me. I do like Herbstreit, though. Outside of espn, I really do like listening to Klatt as an analyst. I hope he isn't stuck doing big Tex games all year.

30. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Unpossible.

Unless he can crow about CH. Pam Ward and DII have to be the worst combo I could think of, what did ESPN have to fill their female/idot quota? ESPN fires Ron Franklin, the best in the business IMO, and hires Coach Care Bear? ESPN cannot help but pee in it's mess kit. Somewhere Bruce Feldman is laughing.