What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins isn't going anywhere for a while

So, when I read his comments about what his goals are for the program (mediocre at best..."be competitive", "finish in the upper tier of the league" "go to a bowl game" etc.) THAT is supposed to make me think he understands what the standards should be?

Look...you seem to think that this guy's history is what makes him a good fit for their job, I think it is his outlook and his belief in what this program is supposed to be. If your goals are to improve upon the Fairbanks years (or get us back to the Mallory ones) you are not the guy for this job.

Now, I was excited when Bohn came in, because I thought he was an upgrade over his predecessor. But have you seen how we have done on picking coaches? How is the woman's basketball program doing (one of the jewels of the program for so long)? How is the football team doing?

Now, perhaps you might say he hasn't had enough time (to which I am sympathetic), but then SHOW ME SOMETHING! Show me that we have a standard for performance that must be met. Don't give away contracts that lock us into coaches who have losing records when you ink the deals. C'mon man. How do you judge a guy? Cause he sold cokes at Folsom as a kid or because he says "You have a losing record, you haven't looked good in your first two years, our goals for this program require you to meet a higher standard than this, here's a deal that will pay you a ton if you turn things around, but that allows us to fire you easily if you don't"? One shows a committment to winning, one shows a tolerance for underperformance, lack of improvement and ineptitude.

You needn't question my motives...my motives are "RTD". What has Bohn showed you that makes you think he's cognizant of what the standards for the Buffs should be? I see no evidence, and yet you call me (well, all those names). Hawkins is the problem at first. But after that, the A.D. is the guy to blame. If he allows a coiach to hurt the program long enough, what is one to think of his commitment to the long-term health of CU's athletics? Why isn't he saying that this is intolerable and we won't stand for this level of performance?

A guy who "bleeds black and gold" should be showing it. Have I just missed a display of his frustration or an outburst suggesting that the current situation is intolerable? Point it out if I have. I don't live in Boulder anymore, so may miss some of the local news that Isn't online that you may have access to. But even the public comments from Bohn about his standards for the program have me saying "Huh?" His "goals" are the things we should settle for in bad years, not aspire for in good ones. Conference championships should be the goal, and he should say so. Then he should market that to the alums and tell them what they can do to make that a reality. Who wants to buy into the idea of "being competitive" or "going to a bowl"?

OK, you lost me here - women's basketball seriously?? A jewel??? When was their last final four? A non-revenue producing sport is not a jewel. I went to 10x more club hockey games in my time at CU than women's hoops. I don't mean to sound sexist, but I'd go to a volleyball game before I watched women's hoops - they're way hootter and they wear shorter shorts.

Well, perhaps we are talking in relative terms? Football program...Skiing, woman's basketball...those are about the most successful programs in the school's history...are they not? I may have left one out...but Ceal Barry put together consistently winning teams, won coach of the year multiple times, won the conference several times. Whether anyone went to the games or not doesn't diminish what they accomplished (and if revenue generation is what makes a sport a "Jewell" than for most schools only football would qualify).

OK, you lost me here - women's basketball seriously?? A jewel??? When was their last final four? A non-revenue producing sport is not a jewel. I went to 10x more club hockey games in my time at CU than women's hoops. I don't mean to sound sexist, but I'd go to a volleyball game before I watched women's hoops - they're way hootter and they wear shorter shorts.

Well, perhaps we are talking in relative terms? Football program...Skiing, woman's basketball...those are about the most successful programs in the school's history...are they not? I may have left one out...but Ceal Barry put together consistently winning teams, won coach of the year multiple times, won the conference several times. Whether anyone went to the games or not doesn't diminish what they accomplished (and if revenue generation is what makes a sport a "Jewell" than for most schools only football would qualify).

Women's hoops is like a tree falling in the woods...if no one is there to watch it, do the wins still matter?

Let's hold this debate off until around the KU game. I did predict a 8-4 season for the Buffs and I am right on the mark. The road losing streak will be gone eventually (hopefully this year). We still have games at OU and NU where it might be wise to not watch the game but other than that, 8-4 is still doable.

I'd say 8-4 is possible, but equally likely is 5-7.

@1989 - track any of these names? maybe some might cross your mind when you think about CU athletics.

Jenny Barringer
Adam Goucher
Jorge Torres
Dathan Ritzenhein
Kara Grgas-Wheeler
Alan Culpepper
Mary Decker-Slaney
Shayne Wille-Cullpepper
Mike Sandrock
Danny Reese

Last edited by a moderator:
Time at CU did not begin in 1989. CU's women's basketball program was a staple for many years. Unfortunately, like many things at CU - the program has dropped off / simply been passed by other programs.

First of all, to those of you that keep posting the 8 wins could save his job you are crazy. Do you really think this staff is capable of gameplanning for 5 more wins? You are freaking crazy.

Secondly, DII has burned this program to the ground (contrary to the fact he believes Barnett did that for him). If he keeps DH for another year there will be full scale revolt from the fan base. Plus so far his two losses are absolute debacles against average teams.

None of this matters though. We are not getting anywhere near 8 wins.

Back