What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins: Regrets bringing Cody to CU

No doubt Cody has had to endure alot from the fans & press. But as B&G pointed out, starting Cody at QB wreeked of nepitisum. And that usually spells trouble in more ways than one. My question is, when did DH finally figure out this was a bad move on his part?

Way too late IMO.

Also, it's got to suck to hear your dad say publicly he regrets you coming along. I didn't hear the tone of it all but that still had to hurt.

Poor guy -- I'm gonna wear my replica No. 7 jersey for a long time after he's gone. He's a good egg.

He should have been the starter since after the KU game in '08 because at that point it was clear CH wasn't getting it done. But CH gets opportunity after opportunity while other QB's get little consideration. Nepotisim becomes the description of CH's spot in the starting lineup, fair or unfair. The fact he was dead last in nearly every category only fanned the flames.

DH fouled up big time on this issue, and it is part of his demise...

To be fair, Hansen started against ISU at home. He struggled beyond belief (not uncommon for a true frosh, especially one that wasn't considered a phenom) and was pulled at half. Cody led the team to a victory in a very close game.

Cody almost beat NU at their house, if not for a miracle fg (then followed by a pick 6 to end it by Suh). We were very close to bowling even with the QB mismanagement.

Had Cody not had the same last name as his father people would not have given Hawk the same amount of flak that he received, given the ISU game and a NU close loss (or win) with a QB with the same skills.

It comes with the territory....

QB mismanagement THIS year is one of the reasons why he should be gone. I can forget about the past. Hawk's loyalty to Riddle and Collins (who calls some GREAT games and then LOSERS like Mizzou x4, CSU, Toledo) are what bother me. This QB situation just compounds on the problem.

Last edited:
To be fair, Hansen started against ISU at home. He struggled beyond belief (not uncommon for a true frosh, especially one that wasn't considered a phenom) and was pulled at half. Cody led the team to a victory in a very close game.

Cody almost beat NU at their house, if not for a miracle fg (then followed by a pick 6 to end it by Suh). We were very close to bowling even with the QB mismanagement.

Had Cody not had the same last name as his father people would not have given Hawk the same amount of flak that he received, given the ISU game and a NU close loss (or win) with a QB with the same skills.

All true. IMO, it appeared that most DC's had figured out how to defend the Buffs with CH at the helm by KU in '08. His limitations were capitalized on by opposing D's. That was not going to change and CU was going to lose more than they won after that circumstance arose.

Putting in TH fulltime and not looking back at that point was the move to make. I had even expressed that at the time. Going forward, TH would have been much better of an option and would probably had progressed even farther than he is now.

The ISU game in '08 showed that Chizik had prepped his team for a running QB. CH did well but go back and review that game. CH had the overwhelming majority of his completions and yards to Sumler in check downs over the middle against a prevent. He had a couple of nice thorws down the seam to Geer. ISU was like 110 in D1 against the pass. People always talk like that game was some sort of passing clinic put on by CH, it wasn't. But kudos to him for bringing the Buffs back against one of the very worst teams in the B12 at home.

Last edited:
Cody only has one check in the tools dept.

Football smarts, check
Big arm, no check
Raw speed, no check
Quickness/elusiveness, no check
Tall, no check

Great guy, but I just don't think he's a B12 quarterback. He's a QB for New Mexico, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, Portland State, etc. He needs to be playing where the competition is just a step slower and a little smaller. At least that's how I see it.

QB mismanagement THIS year is one of the reasons why he should be gone. I can forget about the past. Hawk's loyalty to Riddle and Collins (who calls some GREAT games and then LOSERS like Mizzou x4, CSU, Toledo) are what bother me. This QB situation just compounds on the problem.

What would have been the best situation when Hawkins came was to bring in a JC transfer instead of throwing Cody out there his RS Freshman year. That was the problem from the get go. Ballenger bolted, we had no seniority at the QB position, the most important position, and Cody was never able to man the position to begin with. Then last season we had the flip flopping between two young QBs. Now this season we have Cody who isn't suitable for the job anymore, and Hansen who is still learning. Hawkins sealed his fate by not stocking up with some seniority at the quarterback position. And Cody in year 2 of DH was helped out by having the last successful class of Barnett's guys. That was a senior lead team and the 6-6 reg. season record reflected the seniority on the team. Last year and this year we have so much inexperience still and the learning curve has yet to sit in.

Point being, we have never had any leadership passed down from one QB to the next. We had Jackson in year 1 who was no QB at all. Then Cody who already had limited ability. Hansen's growth has been undermined by the favoritism shown to Cody and only now will he really get the full attention to improve. Behind Hansen we just have freshman as well. Hawkins is out the door after this year but we will atleast rid ourselves of this depth problem at quarterback over the next two years, as long as the next head coach doesn't use his ego to force out current players.

I agree with B&G (thanks for sparing us the 10,000 word essay) that Cody caused huge problems. I think it clouded Dan's judgement and ended up costing him the job. He did not see clearly the trouble he caused. Family is tough.

I wonder (waiting for the article) if he this was brought up during the buyout as one of the reasons.

Minnesota Coach Brewster had his son follow him out there, but he quickly transferred after year 1. These situations rarely work out.

The nepotism apsect is way overplayed, but the team chemistry aspect is way underplayed IMO.

Minnesota Coach Brewster had his son follow him out there, but he quickly transferred after year 1. These situations rarely work out.

The nepotism apsect is way overplayed, but the team chemistry aspect is way underplayed IMO.

I would argue that it's even 100x worse at the QB position.

good, fair points! :thumbsup: Cody's a great Buff, tough spot. Still not sure he shouldnt have started when he did...really believe Cody was the best qb we have/had...sadly. Thats a reflection on DH, though....couldnt recruit a big time qb. Maybe thats BECAUSE of Cody being here, I dont know. Either way, great Buff.

Bringing in Little Hawk or not doesn't cover up the fact that Talkins is a BAD Game day coach who makes awful decisions at the worst times.. (going for it on 4th down up 21-0 at Iowa State), kicking a 53 yard FG, yet passing on a 45 yarder to put you 7 against Okie State) come to mind.. Plus his teams have given up big leads (double digits in the 2nd half and mostly on the road) and lost (UGA, Neb, Iowa State, Kansas, Okie State). Good coaches don't lose those types of game like Talkins always does..

The guy has proven he has no idea how to make gameday decisions in a bigtime college football..

I really feel bad for Cody. He just wasn't physically ready for Big 12 football. Great heart, great head, great warrior. He truly is the embodiment of what Coach Hawk expects out of his players. If he went to Boise State and played in the WAC he would have been a stand out player.

He has been a class act and gave us his best every time he was asked to, but the deck was stacked against him.

Next season, when his father is no longer coach, Cody's character and value to the team will be even more telling. Normally that would be an awkward situation, but somehow I just don't see Cody letting it affect him to the point where it will become "drama".

I feel the same way except I am not sure would have been the starter at Boise State. Cody is a great kid, I think he made his decision, I am not sure either Hawkins knew what a sh*t storm they would face in Boulder if things went wrong.

Cody comming to CU was not the problem, the problem started when Dad named him the starting QB, resulting in other QB transfers.

I was going to reply but then read.....

Briefly -

That impacted -
  • Recruiting of a QB.
  • Team chemistry
  • Perception of nepotism
  • Assistant coaches being able to do their job
  • On field performance

This is it in a nutshell. The whole problem.

Also, it's got to suck to hear your dad say publicly he regrets you coming along. I didn't hear the tone of it all but that still had to hurt.

I think Hawk was saying that as a father he realizes that Cody's college experience would have been better if he had went to a school where his Dad was not the Head Coach. Too bad it took him four years to see that.

Great guy, but I just don't think he's a B12 quarterback. He's a QB for New Mexico, Nevada, Montana, Idaho, Portland State, etc. He needs to be playing where the competition is just a step slower and a little smaller. At least that's how I see it.

This is also what maybe his Dad is saying. Against lessor competition perhaps Cody would be a much more ballyhooed QB for his team. Yes we needed a QB pretty bad at that point, but then it compounded with no high quality QBs willing to come here when they felt they could not compete against the HC's son.

good, fair points! :thumbsup: Cody's a great Buff, tough spot. Still not sure he shouldnt have started when he did...really believe Cody was the best qb we have/had...sadly. Thats a reflection on DH, though....couldnt recruit a big time qb. Maybe thats BECAUSE of Cody being here, I dont know. Either way, great Buff.

That's probably the main reason right there.

Perception of nepotism? Whether or not Hawkins made a conscious decision to favor his son or not, ultimately, he did, and that's what matters.

Perception of nepotism? Whether or not Hawkins made a conscious decision to favor his son or not, ultimately, he did, and that's what matters.

Time to move on.

Big Hawk is flying the nest.

Lil Hawk (I hope) will still be here next year.

A new coach will reevaluate the team and players and might very well mean that Cody is the starter next year.

Time to move on.

Big Hawk is flying the nest.

Lil Hawk (I hope) will still be here next year.

A new coach will reevaluate the team and players and might very well mean that Cody is the starter next year.

Doubtful Cody ever see's another minute if he's around next season as long as Hansen stays healthy, if Dan Hawkins is gone. I think any coach without the blinders of Cody being his son could see that Hansen is better than Hawkins at this point, and Hansen has a higher ceiling.

Last edited:
I think the scenario of Kiseau going to Portland State and Cody transferring there to be his QB is the best for all parties. I won't complain about Cody sticking around though, he has been great considering the awful position he is in.

I think the scenario of Kiseau going to Portland State and Cody transferring there to be his QB is the best for all parties. I won't complain about Cody sticking around though, he has been great considering the awful position he is in.

You have to wonder what the advantage would be for Cody to stay around. I have no problem if he does, but from his perspective what does he gain? Assuming he's finished with his degree from CU, Portland State would be a good situation for him.

Poor guy -- I'm gonna wear my replica No. 7 jersey for a long time after he's gone. He's a good egg.

That was the first thing I thought too. Why would Hawkins come out and say this? There was no need for him to even comment. Doesnt make any sense to me, unless he is trying to drum up sympathy.

That was the first thing I thought too. Why would Hawkins come out and say this? There was no need for him to even comment. Doesnt make any sense to me, unless he is trying to drum up sympathy.

I would be fairly certain that Dan had already had that discussion with his family before he said that publicly.

At least I would hope he did.

I would be fairly certain that Dan had already had that discussion with his family before he said that publicly.

At least I would hope he did.

No kidding.

If not, he got kicked out of his house before getting kicked out of his office on campus.

I knew there was more to this. Cody has been recieving hate mail by email, cell phone, and text messages according to the news. He apparently has stopped looking at all three.

Thats pretty weak sauce if you ask me. :huh:

I knew there was more to this. Cody has been recieving hate mail by email, cell phone, and text messages according to the news. He apparently has stopped looking at all three.

That's pathetic Husker status garbage. We should be better than that, a lot better.

That's pathetic Husker status garbage. We should be better than that, a lot better.

I guess Id like to know more about who is sending the messages. Is it students? Is it alums?

Again, DH, made a mistake. If it were me I would have told Cody that, because your my son, the bar for you is higher than it will be for any other QB that I recruit. Are you sure you want to come here still because you might not see the field. But, alas, I am not DH.

I don't think Cody can transfer since he's used his RS. He'd have to go DII, wouldn't he? Sorry, I really feel for the Hawkins family. This whole thing has to be difficult.

I don't think Cody can transfer since he's used his RS. He'd have to go DII, wouldn't he? Sorry, I really feel for the Hawkins family. This whole thing has to be difficult.

I believe if he finishes his undergrad degree at CU, he can transfer to any other DI to work on a graduate degree. If I remember correctly, a backup from Miami went to Baylor a couple of years ago.

Not cool at all. He is a great kid and deserves all our respect.

Another mistake by D. Hawkins is believing this.

I don't regret Cody being here one bit. I wish his dad wasn't. Cody is a great teammate and leader. He just isn't the best QB. He shouldn't have started. He is a good buff and a person I hope my children could be like.

I hope that Cody stays around as a grad assistant but it won't happen.

And **** all the idots that are calling him out. It wasn't his decision to be the starting QB and whenever he was out there he seemed to give it his best.

Cody had no business playing QB here and that is no one's fault but his father's. Starting your kid with marginal talent at a D1 program is an exercise in disarmingly bad judgment.

He shouldn't have been recruited here to play QB in this first place - regardless of ability - and he certainly shouldn't have been starting when there were superior alternatives.

Whether he did it intentionally or not, Hawkins kept starting Cody far longer than most any other coach would, particularly when the backup was someone who appeared to at least as capable as he was.

None of this is a knock on Cody but he took entirely too many snaps during 2008 and 2009 and when you are the coaches son that is only going to compound the problem.

I think Cody did as well as could be expected. He didn't ask to be 5'9 or whatever, but he played big and he did go on and beat NU and OU in 07, which was really something. How many other QBs can claim that on a resume?

Back