What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins Supporters?...Part 2

Hawk Love?

• Hawk is the savior of this program

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I'm no D1 Football coach & trust in Hawk

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • We will see what happens

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I love CU too much to bad mouth the coach

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Hell no, the coach has to go!

Votes: 63 55.3%

• Total voters
The worst thing a college coach can do is lash out at fans, many of whom are alums. When you start badmouthing fans, it does not take much for them to get offended. He needs to drop the "they have never taken risks" BS quickly IMO, it is only hurting him at this juncture.

My problem isn't just the lashing out at fans. Bad PR, but like somebody pointed out elsewhere, you know 99% of coaches think the same thing about fans.

My problem is the ****ing patronizing way he lashes out at fans. "If you don't have kids you don't know" "They've never taken a risk" "If you've never been a coach". How ****ing arrogant and condescending is this guy?? Funny, but for a bunch of total losers, your fanbase has managed to generate enough money to pay your RISK FREE, GUARANTEED contract. Millions of dollars. Wonder how that happens???? :rolleyes:

I agree. It was the same when Barnett was talking about the fans getting their knowledge from Madden video games. Might be true, but something you probably shouldn't say to the media. :lol:

in some ways, gb was better with the average fan... worse with the media...

i don't like it when hawkins calls fans names and otherwise denigrates them, which he has done increasingly as the losses have mounted. it is petty and shortsighted.

he gets paid to win. all the rest of it is smoke and mirrors.

My problem isn't just the lashing out at fans. Bad PR, but like somebody pointed out elsewhere, you know 99% of coaches think the same thing about fans.

My problem is the ****ing patronizing way he lashes out at fans. "If you don't have kids you don't know" "They've never taken a risk" "If you've never been a coach". How ****ing arrogant and condescending is this guy?? Funny, but for a bunch of total losers, your fanbase has managed to generate enough money to pay your RISK FREE, GUARANTEED contract. Millions of dollars. Wonder how that happens???? :rolleyes:
:confused:

I guess everyone has different experiences. I thought GB came off as kind of an arrogant ass. Like he was too busy to talk to you.

GB came off as arrogant to me as well. I expect coaches to be arrogant, but many guys take themselves way too seriously.

I guess everyone has different experiences. I thought GB came off as kind of an arrogant ass. Like he was too busy to talk to you.

yeah, some folks sure thought so. but, he was always cordial in my limited interactions with him, and with folks i know, too. cordial and actually seemed engaging... there are many who agree with you however.

he wasn't so good with the media, of course.

True. It's kind of a job requirement these days. :lol:

No doubt.:lol:

I suppose it takes a boatload of confidence to work your way up the career ladder in college football, maybe the sense of entitlement is just a natural outcome.

I was talking about Hawk.

Has anyone seen DBT since the season started? I'm starting to worry that Dan stole his password, killed him, and has been posting here under his name the past couple months. Could the above post by "DBT" confusing himself with Dan have been the slip up that gave it all away? :wow:

No doubt.:lol:

I suppose it takes a boatload of confidence to work your way up the career ladder in college football, maybe the sense of entitlement is just a natural outcome.
I posted this a while back, but Hawk should hire a 'team spokesperson' much like Urban Meyer has at UF. His name is Steve McClain. He's the schools "Associate Athletics Director for Communications":lol:

Has anyone seen DBT since the season started? I'm starting to worry that Dan stole his password, killed him, and has been posting here under his name the past couple months. Could the above post by "DBT" confusing himself with Dan have been the slip up that gave it all away? :wow:
:lol:

The DBT I knew used to be really skeptical of my pro Hawkins rhetoric.

I posted this a while back, but Hawk should hire a 'team spokesperson' much like Urban Meyer has at UF. His name is Steve McClain. He's the schools "Associate Athletics Director for Communications":lol:

Honestly, it would not hurt at this point. Sports, particularly at the college level, are so emotional, coaches need to be extra cautious in how they approach the media. One slip-up and that is all it takes for you to be tagged as an idiot by the media, which craves the opportunity.

I think a good QB would completely change the offensive outlook. Unfortunately, I'm not sure we have one on this team.

...and then there's the DL to worry about. We need pressure while stopping the run.

I disagree. :thumbsup:

? You disagree that new recruits don't have to face the prospect of outplaying Cody? He'll be a senior while they're RSing...

From what I can see most sports fans in general don't know have a clue about what they are talking about. So yes I agree with Hawk. Sometimes the truth hurts.

...except that he validated all the complaints by (finally) pulling Cody for Tyler.

Your'e right, Barnett acted like it was your lucky day if you got to meet him. What a jackass!

Chilly,

Most fans are idiots. (Or at least come off that way at times because we're posting drunk or emotionally.) I don't mind him thinking that the media and fans don't know what the hell we're/they're talking about... because 99.9% of coaches think the same thing.

But Hawkins is a world class dumbass to fail at PR so badly that he actually says it. That, to me, is what makes you go :wtf: about the guy.

I like his honesty. It doesn't bother me. Because he is 100% dead on. We, as sports fans, have opinions, but 99% of the time they are based on nothing more than hot air (this includes me). It's no different than some guy off the street coming into my office, and start calling for my head because he thinks I should have gone about my job different.

Everything he has said is spot on. And 99% of the fans fit into that category. The truth is, if you have not raised kids before, then you really don't know what it's like to raise on. Why is this an insult. This was said to me many a times by my friends who had kids earlier in life then we did. It didn't insult me. It was the truth.

Why would I be insults by him saying most people don't know what it means to take a risk in life. Again it's true. I know I have not taken a lot of risks, and neither have 90% of the people I know. I don't know alot of people who have risked EVERYTHING they own on a far fetched idea that they wanted to turn into a business. I am not insulted by this, and I truly don't understand why others are.

His Internet Scum comment was also spot on. There is a portion of people out there who are just that. Does that offend me. Absolutely not. Just go read any message boards and you will see agenda's are everywhere.

Screw PR. I am all for him continuing to tell it like it is.

It is rather Ironic that there has been a public flogging of Dan and Cody all over the Internet, and some of it quite personal in nature. and yet when he turns around an makes a true statement some of these same people get their panties all in a twist.

Don't dish out what you can't take, and what Dan has dished out has been quite mild to what he has taken in my book.

Last edited:
Really? You honestly like the way that Hawkins interacts with the media?

To each his own, I guess. I've always felt that it's just good business not to publicly insult your customers.

No reason for Dan to take 'a risk' by offing DBT; he had to know DBT was old enough that he could wait him out. Time was on Dans side in this horse race.:lol:

Really? You honestly like the way that Hawkins interacts with the media?

To each his own, I guess. I've always felt that it's just good business not to publicly insult your customers.

I guess that is the difference. I at no time have felt publicly insulted by Hawkins.

I like his honesty. It doesn't bother me. Because he is 100% dead on. We, as sports fans, have opinions, but 99% of the time they are based on nothing more than hot air (this includes me). It's no different than some guy off the street coming into my office, and start calling for my head because he thinks I should have gone about my job different.

Everything he has said is spot on. And 99% of the fans fit into that category. The truth is, if you have not raised kids before, then you really don't know what it's like to raise on. Why is this an insult. This was said to me many a times by my friends who had kids earlier in life then we did. It didn't insult me. It was the truth.

Why would I be insults by him saying most people don't know what it means to take a risk in life. Again it's true. I know I have not taken a lot of risks, and neither have 90% of the people I know. I don't know alot of people who have risked EVERYTHING they own on a far fetched idea that they wanted to turn into a business. I am not insulted by this, and I truly don't understand why others are.

His Internet Scum comment was also spot on. There is a portion of people out there who are just that. Does that offend me. Absolutely not. Just go read any message boards and you will see agenda's are everywhere.

It is rather Ironic that there has been a public flogging of Dan and Cody all over the Internet, and some of it quite personal in nature. and yet when he turns around an makes a true statement some of these same people get their panties all in a twist.

Don't dish out what you can't take, and what Dan has dished out has been quite mild to what he has taken in my book.

Chilly man, we've gotten along better lately. I think I've mellowed a bit and accepted where the program is... but you're way off base with this. You and DBT and Spaceman continue to paint everyone with a broad brush. 99%, 90%.... where are you getting these statistics? That's horseh*t and you know it. There's plenty of vitriol directed at Hawk but there's been LOTS of substantive debate about his coaching inability and his arrogance, nonchalance, and combativeness. He loses and loses and loses some more and then cries about taking criticism and you guys back him up??? Unbelievable, you'd think he was donating his time to charity or something. He's getting paid millions of dollars to do a job. If he was a CEO he'd be out on his ass and no one would shed a tear for poor "we're so close" Hawk. By the way Chilly and company: I have kids and I've taken many many risks in my life. Is it okay for me to criticize now?

You have lost all objectivity.

Chilly man, we've gotten along better lately. I think I've mellowed a bit and accepted where the program is... but you're way off base with this. You and DBT and Spaceman continue to paint everyone with a broad brush. 99%, 90%.... where are you getting these statistics? That's horseh*t and you know it. There's plenty of vitriol directed at Hawk but there's been LOTS of substantive debate about his coaching inability and his arrogance, nonchalance, and combativeness. He loses and loses and loses some more and then cries about taking criticism and you guys back him up??? Unbelievable, you'd think he was donating his time to charity or something. He's getting paid millions of dollars to do a job. If he was a CEO he'd be out on his ass and no one would shed a tear for poor "we're so close" Hawk. By the way Chilly and company: I have kids and I've taken many many risks in my life. Is it okay for me to criticize now?

How many people watch a Bronco game on Sunday. How many of those people have ever actually sat through a football practice, watched game film, or even played football at the Pro level. Maybe, Maybe 1% of them. I know I haven't. So when I come and give my opinion on this board and am at least willing to admit that my opinion could very well be a misguided and naive opinion. What is wrong with that? It doesn't mean I shouldn't discuss my ideas with others, but at least be willing to admit that maybe, must maybe, I don't know as much as the guy who's job it is to be a football coach or football player. So, do you really believe that more that 1% of the sporting population really knows who to break down game film and do player evaluations?

When it comes to taking big risks, how many people do you know who have quit there jobs and double mortgaged their homes to start a business on nothing but faith along. I know a few but it is 10% of the people I know at best. Most of us don't take a lot of risks in our lives. Nothing wrong with that. I know I don't. I tend to travel the easy road when and where possible. I have nothing but great respect for those who have the balls to go out there and take those kinds of risks. But, I also know that I have no clue what it means to stay awake at night wondering if you just put your family and kids at risk of being on the street because you risked everything you have on a idea. I will ask the same question. In your experience do more than 10% of the people you know take these kinds of risks?

Since you have kids, do you not agree that what you thought raising kids would be like, and what it has turned out to be are completely different. I know I didn't have a real appreciation for what it would be like to raise my daughter before she was born, and that appreciation changes every day.

The sharing of ideas and the objective criticism are not at issue here. I don't think Hawkins believes they are at issue either. But, you can't ignore the fact that there is a portion of people out there who (please understand I truly mean portion) that appear to have some hidden agenda and are unable to provide any kind of thought outside of "Hawk is a bum". I welcome the debate about what Hawkins has done right and/or wrong with the program.

But we should all at least be willing to admit, that we DON'T have but a small microscopic view into what happens behind the scenes, so it is quite possible that our points of view have missed the target. I agree that Hawkins needs to win and as long as he is not, people will question his actions.

Calling some "Juicebox" is not questioning his actions in my book.

? You disagree that new recruits don't have to face the prospect of outplaying Cody? He'll be a senior while they're RSing..
First off we can't afford to RS any blue chip QB we might get. And they will continue to use Cody against us long after he's gone(assuming Hawk is still here). They will question his coaching decisions and ask the kid if he want's to place a possible NFL career in Hawkins' hands.

This Cody Hawkins fiasco will haunt Dan for a long time imo.

This seems like a good strategy. The face of a university athletic department at a Big 12 school (or at least most recognizable face) should not worry about PR at all.:wow:

Why because I don't take quotes in a paper personally?

No, because you see nothing wrong with a million dollar man slamming fans yet feel it's horrific for any cu fans to slam him.

You say fans aren't behind the scenes of every detail, well guess what? Hawk doesn't know the "behind the scenes" details of the fans, their sacrifices or risks they have taken.

Arrogant, self loving , better than everyone else. That's the impression he gives off, seems like it's rubbing off on a few posters here.

Last edited:
Look at it any way you like Chilly, but CU cannot afford any more bad press. Especially with our lack of support from the state.

Back