What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins take on the QB situation

I am not as concerned about his comments (although I agree with much this posted on here regarding the comments) I am more concerned about the QB situation and the offense. Even if TH is the starter, he was not performing at a top Big 12 QB level so he needs to improve dramatically. I have no doubt this team is going to throw the ball about 65% of the time and if they don't have strong QB play it is going to be a long season. The running back situation is concerning to me, we don't really have a money back. Ever since Dan Hawkins has been here the offense has been one dimensional every year which makes if easier on defenses. I think this year will be no different.

Evans moving to TE shows me this staff has trouble projecting QB talent at this level. I hope the NH can change that.

At least in Danny's mind, the stage is being set for the return of Cody...I hope I'm wrong about that. "A sliver of difference?", really? Only to a Dad I suppose. I would imagine Cody has a sharper grasp on what the O is trying to do...even if it does change every year. Accuracy? I don't know about that....floaters thrown off the back foot aren't exactly what I would call an accurate throw, even if they do land in the vicinity of a WR. Hansen has a great deal of work to do, but it is painfully obvious who is the better athlete/QB. Give Hansen the reps and let him learn with experience. The numbers last year say a lot, TH had better numbers with less experience, and stiffer competition. If CH couldn't match offensive production in garbage time against the weak OOC CU had last year why in the world do you think he 's going to do it now? I have very little confidence at this point...
Baby will be on the field, Daddy will find a way.

This will be a good year to go Silver Salmon fishing in Alaska this fall. I still love the buffs but without a new HC ....

God damn, mother ****er Hawkins is such an ass clown. The fact that I once supported this complete asshat is beyong comprehension. I may spontaneously combust.

Follow up rant...the quotes from Hawkins are absolutely sickening. I've never been a conspiracy theorist, but geez, these quotes seem so one sided toward Cody.

:nod: This is where I'm at.

Hawk would score some points by naming Hansen the starter after the spring game, but whatever. As long as he's the starter for CSU then fine. As for Hawk himself, win 8 games next season and bring in a good recruiting class. Anything lower and my interest in CU football gets lower than it already is now.

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. Just having TH as the starter for CSU will not work. TH needs to be the guy getting the majority of the reps. All this bullsh!t about competition is great when you're talking about who the starting safety is going to be. When it's the QB, the sooner you name the starter, the better. Hawk even said so himself when he said that TH was more athletic and had the better arm, but didn't know the offense as well. Here's a newsflash dumbass, if you want him to learn the offense better - GIVE HIM MORE REPS.

This is so mind-numbingly stupid I can't even go on. I'm stupified with Dan Hawkins as head coach of this football team. The sooner this SOB is gone the happier I will be. Incompetent is too kind of a word for him.

People are really looking way too into this interview.

Not really, I seem to recall me bashing this same BS last year and as depressing as it was, was pretty much on target with my off-season DOOM.

I don't trust him to do the right thing. His ego will not let him be wrong. I actually think the offense could be pretty good and if the LB's can make more plays like we are used to, this season could be better than most think, but then I realize who's running the show and doom creeps in..

not sure that's the case. you see that long quotation in Boulder Buff's post.....and this is a man (DH) who is not changing and thinks he's doing something special by tugging his own. which is about accurate for a guy who was a great mid level conference coach....seems to think winning 5 or 6 games in the Big XII means he's great and a "little bit funky" about we do things.

16-33.

not Colorado football.

:wow::wow:...........you have got to be kidding me..........:bang::bang:.......I should have read this article first and not the the Tony Clemens one first

I am not as concerned about his comments (although I agree with much this posted on here regarding the comments) I am more concerned about the QB situation and the offense. Even if TH is the starter, he was not performing at a top Big 12 QB level so he needs to improve dramatically. I have no doubt this team is going to throw the ball about 65% of the time and if they don't have strong QB play it is going to be a long season. The running back situation is concerning to me, we don't really have a money back. Ever since Dan Hawkins has been here the offense has been one dimensional every year which makes if easier on defenses. I think this year will be no different.

Evans moving to TE shows me this staff has trouble projecting QB talent at this level. I hope the NH can change that.

We were one dimensional before Hawkins got here. With the exception of 2001, we havent had a good offense since GB got the job. Always a glaring weakness and it usually was the QB play. Barring the luck of having an old baseball player walkon, our QB play has been woefully lacking since the start of the last decade.

I really don't think people are reading too much into the quotes. Remember, CH got yanked in '08 and a true frosh was moved from scout team to first team because it was TOO obvious that was a BIG part of the offensive problem. I gave DH a great deal of credit for biting the bullet there, that could not have been easy. CH was back at the helm shortly thereafter though. People always point to how he "saved" CU v. ISU. The very fact CU has to be saved against ISU speaks volumes, but go look at that game closely. CH was 23-28 I think. 17 or so of those passes were dumps to Sumler over the middle v. ISU prevent. ISU was geared up to play a running QB and the switch to CH caught them flat footed. Good move by the staff, but still had to hold on for dear life against a late challenge by ISU. CH played OK v. NU.

Then over the spring and fall camp we hear about a spirited competition, neck and neck and all that crap. Then CH gets EVERY snap for four and half games. Three of them are losses, well four if you count UT, including an embarassing blowout to Toledo. Toledo, I still can't believe that. The point is as far back as '08, even the staff was looking to upgrade at QB, but somehow, CH keeps getting starts. Putting him in at KjSU was a laugher last year. Two drives. First drive was THREE pass plays in a row. TWO would have been picks if the KjSU DB's had not soaked their hands in novocaine. The second drive was dump the ball over the middle while KjSU traded space for time, get into the red zone, KjSU applies pressure and voila, another panic INT.

Now we are hearing just a "sliver" of difference and I guarantee you, we'll hear some variation of "You can't buy experince like a fifth year senior, what are we supposed to do, not utilize that?" as a rationale for CH getting more PT. I think he is probably a great kid, but PT should be based on ability at this level, and unfortunately CH is too easy to defend for reasons stated a million times on this board. The more time goes by the more DH appears to revert to his prior opinion on the QB situation. Give him the summer to think about it and I would not be surprised if he concludes CH is the best option.

CU nees to go in another direction at QB. CH had his shot and has largely been ineffective since mid-'07 IMO. It's just too easy to defend a team that can't go deep over the middle and a QB who is essentially a statue.

Last edited:
The point is that Dan-O was sure to keep Cody's redshirt safe when we could have used him, but doesn't mind messing with Tyler's college career. If Hawk was any type of coach, Tyler would get 90% of Spring & Fall snaps, and show confidence in the guy. Instead, he remains an ass. I like that we have Cody, but he is our 2nd string QB.

The point is that Dan-O was sure to keep Cody's redshirt safe when we could have used him, but doesn't mind messing with Tyler's college career. If Hawk was any type of coach, Tyler would get 90% of Spring & Fall snaps, and show confidence in the guy. Instead, he remains an ass. I like that we have Cody, but he is our 2nd string QB.

I agree. TH isn't the second coming of Koy Detmer, but IMO, he at least has the tools to develop and could be a very good B12 QB. The more reps he gets, the better he will get. We've seen CH hit the developnmental ceiling already.

Cody returning to the field is a good thing, in that it will help to facilitate Daddy Hawkins departure sooner rather than later.

Now that's looking on the bright side! Seriously though, I agree 100%. I think Cody will see A LOT of playing time until Dan is canned. Cody will be a senior and this will be his final year to play football, ever, obviously. Dan can't stand for Cody to sit out.

I guess my problem with the quote surrounds the continued lack of media savvy--or maybe he has just too much. Coach Hawkins has got to understand the quarterback situation is a point of contention with the fan base.

Scenario 1: He just didn't say the right thing, which in my opinion should have "Tyler was our guy at the end of the season. I'm not saying that there's not competition to be the starter, because there's competition at every position--I believe in competition. On the other hand, it's Tyler's job to lose. He's still our guy."

Scenario 2: He really is setting up Cody to be the starter, as many here project, and he is starting a subtle media campaign to support that effort.

I'm not really excited about the quote, one way or the other. It really seemed that our offensive projection jumped significantly after Texas.

I think there's a good chance that this was all about making sure that Tyler didn't get complacent. He still has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a consistently good QB.

Cody sure seems to be stepping into the background (refusing interviews for the past few months) while Tyler is increasingly the spokesman for the team.

I think there's a good chance that this was all about making sure that Tyler didn't get complacent. He still has a lot of work to do if he wants to be a consistently good QB.

Cody sure seems to be stepping into the background (refusing interviews for the past few months) while Tyler is increasingly the spokesman for the team.

This is the scenario that gives me a bright side to look at, recent history is what darkens that bright side.

This is the scenario that gives me a bright side to look at, recent history is what darkens that bright side.

The thought that keeps me up at night is that I may be applying logic to what should happen with the CU football program and assuming that Hawk and staff will do the things that obviously make sense... but that come next fall I'll get the rug pulled out from under me again with some of the coaching/personnel decisions.

When that happened last year, I completely flipped my sh!t. I remember posting several times that we'd have better coaching if we replaced Hawk with a cup of warm piss. I really don't want to go to that dark place again in 2010. :lol:

This.

I think Buffnik hit on something pretty telling - Cody has practically gone into hiding with the media this offseason, while every article about the Buffs includes some quote or interview with Hansen. 2 separate articles (Post and DC) came out today about Toney Clemons and Hansen is quoted in both.

Whether this is by design, or Hansen has just embraced the role as face of the program, either way I think this is more than just coincidence.

That is true, I can't remember the last time there was a story about Cody, but there has been numerous stories with Tyler being the main person of interest. Hopefully we're all just getting worked up over nothing and Hawk is just trying to get the most out of Tyler, but like some have said I can just hear the quotes now.
"5th year seniors are very important to the team and are invaluable as leaders"
"Cody really worked to improve his _______ this offseason and it showed during the spring"
"We felt Cody had a better understanding of the offense we are trying to run"
"Cody made far fewer mistakes both in his progressions and his presnap reads"

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. Just having TH as the starter for CSU will not work. TH needs to be the guy getting the majority of the reps. All this bullsh!t about competition is great when you're talking about who the starting safety is going to be. When it's the QB, the sooner you name the starter, the better. Hawk even said so himself when he said that TH was more athletic and had the better arm, but didn't know the offense as well. Here's a newsflash dumbass, if you want him to learn the offense better - GIVE HIM MORE REPS.

This is so mind-numbingly stupid I can't even go on. I'm stupified with Dan Hawkins as head coach of this football team. The sooner this SOB is gone the happier I will be. Incompetent is too kind of a word for him.

I completely agree with you, I guess I'm just preparing myself for more of the same with Hawk right now. In my book you name Hansen the starter after the spring game and go from there. But it goes without saying that none of us will be surprised if the QB 'competition' goes on until they start game planning for CSU. That would piss me off if I wasn't already expecting it.

@nik--- a symptom of my own personal demons is trying to apply logic to illogical situations. so, i also had several epic nuclear meltdowns about some of the stuff that happened around the program last season. we've just got to get our heads around the fact that we can't change whatever they are going to do, even it appears to be irrational, misguided, silly, self-defeating, demoralizing and/or incompetent. either we'll finally be proved wrong and they'll finally win using their competely inexplicable methods or they'll be shown the door... win or lose, we drink!

@nik--- a symptom of my own personal demons is trying to apply logic to illogical situations. so, i also had several epic nuclear meltdowns about some of the stuff that happened around the program last season. we've just got to get our heads around the fact that we can't change whatever they are going to do, even it appears to be irrational, misguided, silly, self-defeating, demoralizing and/or incompetent. either we'll finally be proved wrong and they'll finally win using their competely inexplicable methods or they'll be shown the door... win or lose, we drink!

Drink? I moved past that when that lead-footed Toledo QB split our defense for a 60 yard touchdown run.

4zch639.jpg

Back