What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins

Has anyone forwarded the link to this and a few other threads (the ones with intelligent/semi-intelligent discourse and logical, reasoned arguments) to Bohn, Hawkins, the "Admin", etc.? Eventually SOMEONE would read it.

"DeStefadouce?" Nice. Very creative. "My sources said?" Very good. I love to rely on "sources." I know. You guys get pissed at me for "defending Hawkins." I'm just trying to be a voice of reason. You guys make the Salem witch hunt look tame. You take an anonymous post from someone who admits he heard all of this second hand and just run with it. That just is not right.

Regarding the meeting with Benson and DeStephadouce, based on what I was told about boosters meeting with Bohn in Hawaii, and all of the sudden Bohn annouces prior to the Nubs game that Hawkins was staying makes me believe that something happened either without Bohn's input, or Bohn was overruled on the decision.

Can't comment on what was said at Colorado National but as for how the "non-firing" took place, this is pretty close to what happened.
Hawkins was informed, the money had been raised and it was set to go down. There was some form of administrative intervention. Whether there was a meeting between Hawk, Benson and/or DiSteph, I don't know. Bottom line, Benson couldn't defend it fiscally or politically this year. On the other hand, gotta imagine the AD got some concessions from Hawk and/or the administration in return.

Has anyone forwarded the link to this and a few other threads (the ones with intelligent/semi-intelligent discourse and logical, reasoned arguments) to Bohn, Hawkins, the "Admin", etc.? Eventually SOMEONE would read it.

One very simple reason, for every thread that is semi intelligent there are ten with some idiot telling Bohn to jump out a window, or calling people some stupid name like "hackins."

I was told over the weekend that Hawkins did indeed meet with the CU higher ups while Bohn was in Hawaii securing the donations to fire him. Hawkins did convince Benson and DeStephadouce to keep him, while Bohn was trying to fire him. I know this is an old story, but thought it was worth reposting.

I was also told that Hawkins was recently out at Colorado National Golf Club bashing the support CU football has been getting. Saying things like if CU football received half the support that the golf team received they would be in much better shape.

I call Bull ****...provide evidence.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a second:

If this is true:
I was also told that Hawkins was recently out at Colorado National Golf Club bashing the support CU football has been getting. Saying things like if CU football received half the support that the golf team received they would be in much better shape.

How do we know that --- in context of being around golfers and talking about CU's beautiful home course and the support for the golf program --- Hawkins didn't say, "wow, if CU football received half the support that the golf team received we'd be in great shape." Chuckle, pat on the back, raise a glass of beer in toast to fan support. As a compliment to the people are improving the golf program. I can see a coach saying that and it not being angry, crazy, or jealously ... just saying, the golf program is coming around, good for you. Good for CU.
As opposed to him saying "wow, if CU football received half the support that the golf team received we'd be in great shape" while muttering to himself in the corner. Big difference.

If only I had half of Alferd's enthusiasm and good cheer.

A toast to him!

If only I had half of Alferd's enthusiasm and good cheer.

A toast to him!

:huh: I didn't hear Hawkins at the ground breaking for the basketball stadium whining about football's needs, either. I can't see that he would be so indiscreet as to "blast" the support for the golf program. It seems more likely he would see the support for other programs and try to figure out how he can get that happening for his team. He may not know how to create that support, but makes no sense that he would publicly criticize anyone for supporting ANY CU program.

:huh: I didn't hear Hawkins at the ground breaking for the basketball stadium whining about football's needs, either. I can't see that he would be so indiscreet as to "blast" the support for the golf program. It seems more likely he would see the support for other programs and try to figure out how he can get that happening for his team. He may not know how to create that support, but makes no sense that he would publicly criticize anyone for supporting ANY CU program.

I sense you took my toast a little more seriously than it was intended...

If this is true:

How do we know that --- in context of being around golfers and talking about CU's beautiful home course and the support for the golf program --- Hawkins didn't say, "wow, if CU football received half the support that the golf team received we'd be in great shape." Chuckle, pat on the back, raise a glass of beer in toast to fan support. As a compliment to the people are improving the golf program. I can see a coach saying that and it not being angry, crazy, or jealously ... just saying, the golf program is coming around, good for you. Good for CU.
As opposed to him saying "wow, if CU football received half the support that the golf team received we'd be in great shape" while muttering to himself in the corner. Big difference.

Thanks, AJ, that is what I was trying to say but you did it better. I'm a little gun shy posting anything that comes across as "Pro Hawkins" at this point.

If this is true:

The comments were not happy the golf team is doing so well, the comments by Hawkins were more along the lines of can't believe a booster gave a $9mil golf course to CU, and why hasn't anyone stepped up with the large donation for football. Funny part was the person that overheard Hawkins complaining didn't think that Hawkins understood that CU does not own the golf course, they were just given naming rights and get a donation every year based on the course revenue.

You are correct and he may have been joking around, but the person that overheard him talking did not think he was joking, and thought his comments were more along the line of being bitter.

Either way with the total lack of faith many fans have for Hawkins, and all the problems he has already created for himself with the burned to the ground and other comments you would think that he would be extra careful in what he says.

Thanks, AJ, that is what I was trying to say but you did it better. I'm a little gun shy posting anything that comes across as "Pro Hawkins" at this point.

I've noticed that you've really cut back recently.

The comments were not happy the golf team is doing so well, the comments by Hawkins were more along the lines of can't believe a booster gave a $9mil golf course to CU, and why hasn't anyone stepped up with the large donation for football. Funny part was the person that overheard Hawkins complaining didn't think that Hawkins understood that CU does not own the golf course, they were just given naming rights and get a donation every year based on the course revenue.

You are correct and he may have been joking around, but the person that overheard him talking did not think he was joking, and thought his comments were more along the line of being bitter.

Either way with the total lack of faith many fans have for Hawkins, and all the problems he has already created for himself with the burned to the ground and other comments you would think that he would be extra careful in what he says.
Is the guy who overheard and iterpretted Hawkins' comments on the "Fire Hawkins" bandwagon, per chance? Sorry, but I have a lot of problems with a thread like this. Maybe everyting you and your sources say is true, but there are just too many other possibilities as well.

Last edited:
Is the guy who overheard and iterpretted Hawkins' comments on the "Fire Hawkins" bandwagon, per chance?

Is he you? No? Than probably he is.

Just funnin' with you DBT. I know you're sensative about it. Just funnin'.

If this is true:

To add to what 08 said: Even if Hawkins did say it in a joking way as a compliment to the golf team, it is still a little frustrating to hear those words regardless of intention because he has had huge support for the football team for his first four years (yes, I'm including last season because fans were still in those seats) despite a losing record in each. We allowed a 2-10 season, we congratulated a losing bowl season, we accepted injuries as the reason for 08's letdown, we went to the games and cheered on our team last year despite obvious underachieving and unpreparedness for games. Considering how he has ridiculed the fans in the past, he needs to watch what he says about them, because a compliment to golf fans in that manner, is completely backhanded to the football fans.

Was CU not strongly in the middle of the pack this year with regards to athletic revenue in the Big 12, despite the fact that the last time a revenue sport had a winning season was the mens bb team in the 05/06 season? More than Missouri, IIRC.

Sorry, but I have a hard time taking seriously anything coming from someone who uses the phrase "DiStefandouche".

Sorry, but I have a hard time taking seriously anything coming from someone who uses the phrase "DiStefandouche".

Seriously, it's not like we're talking Rockies....:rolling_eyes:

Hawk has made his bed. It is pretty obvious he can't compete at this level. It has been time to move on for some time. Hawk lost me at ISU this year, I had held out hope he could figure it out until then. He can't. Keeping him this year was a collosal mistake, made by an administration that hasn't a clue. As others have observed, CU is perilously close to making their sole revenue generating sport less than a blip on the radar. I cannot think of one person I know who I speak to face to face, who has any interest in the Buffs. It's like they died. Virtually nobody cares. My neighbor, a Mizzou fan, always hits me up to check out a couple of Buff games. At dinner a couple of weeks ago, he just chuckled. Way to go MB and Dan....

i dont understand hawks complaint. seems to me that he was able to get doners motivated to step up and donate about 3 mllion dollars to the football program last fall. of course, it was to see him sent packing but still, they were motivated to donate to the program specifically because of what he has done over the last four years at CU.

i dont understand hawks complaint. seems to me that he was able to get doners motivated to step up and donate about 3 mllion dollars to the football program last fall. of course, it was to see him sent packing but still, they were motivated to donate to the program specifically because of what he has done over the last four years at CU.

See, this is what happens. Someone heard from someone who was eavesdropping who "heard" Hawkins complain about something. And now it is all fact. Good God PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! Have we all lost our minds? :wink2:

See, this is what happens. Someone heard from someone who was eavesdropping who "heard" Hawkins complain about something. And now it is all fact. Good God PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!! Have we all lost our minds? :wink2:

no. its true because its on the internet.

I have a hard time believing Hawk would really be that childish and just plain stupid, but I've been wrong before.

Yeah he has, but this would be on another level. Who knows, maybe Hawk is going nuts being under all of the pressure.

I think that remark, IF it was made, is consistent with his woe-is-me attitude and his refusal to acknowledge that he is in any way responsible for the poor record or even that it is, in fact, a poor record.

Back