What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins

It's just hard for me to believe. He went from that crazy cool eccentric guy that randomly quotes stuff to sound cool, now he's some washed up wannabe big time coach that whines at CU golf events about how the golf team has better support than the football team.

It's just hard for me to believe. He went from that crazy cool eccentric guy that randomly quotes stuff to sound cool, now he's some washed up wannabe big time coach that whines at CU golf events about how the golf team has better support than the football team.

I wasn't there, and I don't know what was said, or what happened. I won't pretend to.

But you've got to admit that it's been a while since we've seen "that crazy cool eccentric guy". He seems a bit surprised by the response he's received to his win/loss record and he's been burned more than once by the interpretation of his remarks. I'm not saying he was in the corner muttering about golf support, but I wouldn't base the argument against it on his "crazy cool" persona.

It's just hard for me to believe. He went from that crazy cool eccentric guy that randomly quotes stuff to sound cool, now he's some washed up wannabe big time coach that allegedly whines at CU golf events about how the golf team has better support than the football team, according to an anonymous source who was not actually present when the alleged remarks occurred.

FIFY, :smile2:

I wasn't there, and I don't know what was said, or what happened. I won't pretend to.

But you've got to admit that it's been a while since we've seen "that crazy cool eccentric guy". He seems a bit surprised by the response he's received to his win/loss record and he's been burned more than once by the interpretation of his remarks. I'm not saying he was in the corner muttering about golf support, but I wouldn't base the argument against it on his "crazy cool" persona.

Yeah you're right, but damn it wasn't really that long ago. I think this last year really took a toll on him. I can't place it in a timeline, but that interview he gave, I think when DS left(?), he looked like a mess, literally mentally exhausted.

Yeah DBT, but still, if he's actually saying this stuff that he allegedly did, then damn we're in for a long season.

Yeah you're right, but damn it wasn't really that long ago. I think this last year really took a toll on him. I can't place it in a timeline, but that interview he gave, I think when DS left(?), he looked like a mess, literally mentally exhausted.

Yeah DBT, but still, if he's actually saying this stuff that he allegedly did, then damn we're in for a long season.

I've noticed this too... He seemed to look a little more "worked" as each week passed last season. My wife thinks he is either on something or has developed a serious drinking habit. Who knows... In any case, I think he looks a lot different than he did 4 years ago.

Like everyone else who was not there, I can't say if his remarks at the golf tourney were true or exaggerated. Though it sure sounds on par with something he might say.

Hope not. I've already had a long year. I don't want....wait, I'm old. The longer the season the better! Yeah, thats the ticket! I could view it as "Hawkins prolonging my life!" Right?

Here's a dilemma I've faced up to since Bz's departure.

If Hawk loses miserably this year, he's gone.
But if Hawk turns it around, does he give Boulder the finger and leave for any other job the first chance he can? I think so.

So we are toast either way. Thanks.

But if Hawk turns it around, does he give Boulder the finger and leave for any other job the first chance he can? I think so.

You really think another school is going to hire Hawk away if he turns it around this year?

You are a "glass half empty" kind of guy, aren't you? :wink2:

fine by me. even if he does turn it around (he wont), it will not last.

Dan Hawkins is a douche bag.. The guy has made his own bed.. the majority of fans supported him all the way up to the CSU game this year so he has no reason to complain about lack of fan support.. Fans don't support losers.. If he doesn't get that maybe he should find another ****ing profession..

Well said!! Hear, hear!!:thumbsup::congrats:

Dan Hawkins is a douche bag.. The guy has made his own bed.. the majority of fans supported him all the way up to the CSU game this year so he has no reason to complain about lack of fan support.. Fans don't support losers.. If he doesn't get that maybe he should find another ****ing profession..

I supported him even after the CSU game...the Toledo game was killer for me. And, of course, his flippant, bull**** attitude the rest of the season...his burned to the ground comment was icing on the cake.

So be it. Honestly, it will take Hawkins turning it around in a BIG way to get a job that is a step up from CU so I am all for this scenario.

(In other words, it ain't gonna happen)

I supported him even after the CSU game...the Toledo game was killer for me. And, of course, his flippant, bull**** attitude the rest of the season...his burned to the ground comment was icing on the cake.

The burned to the ground comment didn't bother me nearly as much as it seems it did the rest of the buffs fan. I pretty much agree with him. We were ****ed as a program when he took over. We still may be ****ed, but were definitely ****ed then.

The burned to the ground comment didn't bother me nearly as much as it seems it did the rest of the buffs fan. I pretty much agree with him. We were ****ed as a program when he took over. We still may be ****ed, but were definitely ****ed then.

I agree....I called for Barnett's head after the UT fiasco....but, whether the program was ****ed or not, for Danny to blame his failures on someone else is the issue....the doosh said he would bring us a national championship...he knew what he was getting into.

The talent level of the players GB left Talkins was higher than what we have now 5 years later. There's no doubt the program was in trouble, but it's in even worse shape now. CU fans were optimistic and stood behind Talkins for 4 of the worst years in CU football. He has lost the fan base, and it's going to be tough for the next coach to get turned around. I think we are in worse shape now, then when Talkins took over - even with the scandal. The administration has to be held responsible also, it's just not Talkins. There was alot of panic, over reaction, and bad decision making.

Last edited:
The talent level of the players GB left Talkins was higher than what we have now 5 years later. There's no doubt the program was in trouble, but it's in even worse shape now. CU fans were optimistic and stood behind Talkins for 4 of the worst years in CU football. He has lost the fan base, and it's going to be tough for the next coach to get turned around. I think we are in worse shape now, then when Talkins took over - even with the scandal. The administration has to be held responsible also, it's just not Talkins. There was alot of panic, over reaction, and bad decision making.
Agruable, at best.

What started it for me was the Mizzou game in 2008, where CU's 249 game streak without being shut out came to an ugly end. The opening week of 2009 tipped me over the edge. CU MUST NOT be humiliated on national TV by both CSU and Toledo within 5 days of each other. An upset Texas would have won back some good will. But the half time lead turned into a bitter defeat. Being humiliated again by Mizzou only made the hole deeper.

The comments Coach Hawkins makes really don't bother me. I can put up with or ignore coaches who are not masters of the PR game. But it's hard to put up with a coach who squanders some really good local and national talent while sinking the program deeper into irrelevancy along the way.

FWIW- I really like Speedy, McKnight, Cunningham, West, Jimmy Smith, Ryan Miller, Kasa, Givens, Beaty and Polk. I'd like to see all the Colorado kids succeed at their state's flagship school, and will cheer them on. The kids coming in from out of state are going to have a great time in Boulder. But I still haven't figured out a way to balance my enthusiasm for the student-athletes and my disappointment with the lack of competitiveness in the conference rankings.

Agruable, at best.

Dizon, Jones, Wheatley, Klop, Syp, all got drafted. Do you think any Buffs are going to be drafted this weekend? Burney, maybe Geer, but then again those were GB recruits. Other than Solder (another GB recruit) and Jimmy Smith, I don't see any current Buffs getting a call on draft day. That is a little unfair since many are still developing and may very well develop into NFL caliber talent, but GB didn't leave the completely bare cupboard he is accused of. There were huge problematic holes because of the scandal, but it wasn't burned to the ground, despite what dip**** says. He has brought in some good talent, certainly talent that is better than their record, but I'm not sure the talent level is any better right now. CU still has huge holes now on their roster, just like when GB left. Four years of Hawk Love hasn't produced anything but too many L's and idiotic soundbites IMO...

Dizon, Jones, Wheatley, Klop, Syp, all got drafted. Do you think any Buffs are going to be drafted this weekend? Burney, maybe Geer, but then again those were GB recruits. Other than Solder (another GB recruit) and Jimmy Smith, I don't see any current Buffs getting a call on draft day. That is a little unfair since many are still developing and may very well develop into NFL caliber talent, but GB didn't leave the completely bare cupboard he is accused of. There were huge problematic holes because of the scandal, but it wasn't burned to the ground, despite what dip**** says. He has brought in some good talent, certainly talent that is better than their record, but I'm not sure the talent level is any better right now. CU still has huge holes now on their roster, just like when GB left. Four years of Hawk Love hasn't produced anything but too many L's and idiotic soundbites IMO...
I'm not one to argue about it since I'm not as up on all this stuff as you guys. Plus, I have a crappy memory. But as I remember, because of the restrictions imposed on the program after the scandal, the last two or three recruiting classes were not very good. Plus, Hawkins had to pull a class together in 6 weeks his first year. Last season, Hawkins had, I think, three seniors on the roster that he had recruited. Nine Juniors as well. The rest were all freshmen and sophomores, some of them RS's. You guys think 5 years means that he's had time to fill all the voids and that is just not true.

And, yes, several of Hawkins' recruits are no longer in the program. But in a article I read not to long ago, CU's attrition is pretty average compared to the rest of the Big XII.

Last edited:
I'm not one to argue about it since I'm not as up on all this stuff as you guys. Plus, I have a crappy memory. But as I remember, because of the restrictions imposed on the program after the scandal, the last two or three recruiting classes were not very good. Plus, Hawkins had to pull a class together in 6 weeks his first year. Last season, Hawkins had, I think, three seniors on the roster that he had recruited. Nine Juniors as well. The rest were all freshmen and sophomores, some of them RS's. You guys think 5 years means that he's had time to fill all the voids and that is just not true.

And, yes, several of Hawkins' recruits are no longer in the program. But in a article I read not to long ago, CU's attrition is pretty average compared to the rest of the Big XII.

DBT, I'm gonna give you rep for a reasonable, well-considered rebuttal. Though for the record, I don't think that anybody is arguing that GB didn't experience a significant drop-off in recruiting--only that it got worse during the Hawkins era.

I think the jury is still out. There are a lot of players on this team I really like, but similar to Skiddy's dilemna, my support for those players is somewhat overshadowed by a shoddy win/loss record.

The restrictions really shafted CU. Hawk actually had a couple of decent classes and there is talent on the roster. I'm not convinced it is any better than what GB had the last couple of years though. GB was starting to slide, mainly because of things out of his control, but he was still winning more than he lost. Hawk has had four years to improve, and he's actually done much worse. JMO. Maybe he'll pull it out this year, and maybe that person calling me right now is Erin Andrews....

I think Jalil Brown, Jimmy Smith, Solder, Toney Clemons (if he leaves early), Scotty McKnight, and maybe Herrod all have pretty decent shots at getting drafted. That's much much better then the last couple years of Barnett and his recruits

"Better than Barnett's last couple years" should never be the standard we judge our talent level by. Being less crappy does not equal being good enough to compete in the Big 12.

We are still thin in many areas and that falls directly on Dan Hawkins, no one else.

I agree. Atleast we have playmakers on Offense now. When Jarrell Yates and Mack Brown are the future of your offense, you know you're in trouble

"Better than Barnett's last couple years" should never be the standard we judge our talent level by. Being less crappy does not equal being good enough to compete in the Big 12.

We are still thin in many areas and that falls directly on Dan Hawkins, no one else.
Completely agree. The last two years of GB's tenure were marked with being competitve with any non-top 25 team and getting shellacked by the ranked teams. CU can and should do better. Hawk has now taken CU down to getting shellacked by non-top 25 teams.

GB was starting to slide, mainly because of things out of his control, but he was still winning more than he lost.

Anybody who can win two B12 North titles with Joel Klatt at qb deserves some serious cred... Then again, from the recruiting angle one has to ask how come Joel Klatt was the best GB could do at qb?

Back