What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hawkins

Dan has criticized the fan base. I have heard of him doing it at a recent charity golfing event. He said something to the effect that if he had more support from fans and boosters he would've been able to get more done here. He's right in some ways, but he's wrong to bring it up in the first place.

Just a rumor I've heard out there in Boulder.
Well, I have no doubt that he's frustrated. I would hope that he realizes that if on the field results had been better, his support would have been better. The old "chicken or the egg" thing.

sorry, I find it odd that the "friend of a friend" report hasn't even been whispered about anywhere else. I'm not going to refute it, but I'm not going to swallow it either.
I can't imagine any Div 1 coach, not Dan Hawkins or anyone else, sitting in the corner and muttering out loud as was reported. He's well aware that there are people around hanging on his every word, he's just not likely to criticize the fans, the program, the administration, etc. in a public setting. So accepting the report as is, ... I can't do it. I can't demand repercussions for an event for which we have one second- or third-hand witness at best, and seems totally out of character.

While I agree the topic of this thread is strictly speculation, Dan has gone on record publicly criticizing the fans by attacking the message board fans as well as calling out the people who showed up to the games in powder blue as not true fans. So yeah he is dumb enough to criticize the fan base publicly.

Well, I have no doubt that he's frustrated. I would hope that he realizes that if on the field results had been better, his support would have been better. The old "chicken or the egg" thing.

Sure he is frustrated, but he needs to be frustrated with himself, not the fans. This fanbase was as supportive as I have ever seen with him early on, especially after 2007. We had record attendace at the spring game and season tickets were up. Even after the 3rd losing season, fans were mostly on board. He needs to just once publicly apologize for the job he has done and that would go a long way with at least acknowleging that he needs to do better.

Sure he is frustrated, but he needs to be frustrated with himself, not the fans. This fanbase was as supportive as I have ever seen with him early on, especially after 2007. We had record attendace at the spring game and season tickets were up. Even after the 3rd losing season, fans were mostly on board. He needs to just once publicly apologize for the job he has done and that would go a long way with at least acknowleging that he needs to do better.
His interaction with fans on his KOA coaches show has much to be disired. He comes across as smarmy and demeaning, for sure. I think his big mistake was to get into "defensive" mode. He definitely comes across as one who believes fans are idots. That is my biggest problem with him, personality wise. It is painful to me. I badly want to see him succeed both on and off the field. Then I listen to his horrible interaction with fans on his radio show and roll my eyes.

Well, anyway, this is all entertaining to argue about. But the time is growing short. In a very short period of time, he will have his final shot at proving himself on the field. If he doesn't get it done, sayonara.

sorry, I find it odd that the "friend of a friend" report hasn't even been whispered about anywhere else. I'm not going to refute it, but I'm not going to swallow it either.
I can't imagine any Div 1 coach, not Dan Hawkins or anyone else, sitting in the corner and muttering out loud as was reported. He's well aware that there are people around hanging on his every word, he's just not likely to criticize the fans, the program, the administration, etc. in a public setting. So accepting the report as is, ... I can't do it. I can't demand repercussions for an event for which we have one second- or third-hand witness at best, and seems totally out of character.

While I agree the topic of this thread is strictly speculation, Dan has gone on record publicly criticizing the fans by attacking the message board fans as well as calling out the people who showed up to the games in powder blue as not true fans. So yeah he is dumb enough to criticize the fan base publicly.

:yeahthat:

:yeahthat: Rep to ya.

DBT what's your take on this?

Here’s some of a conversation I had with sophomore CU receiver Will Jefferson earlier this month:
“My whole goal this year is to become a technical receiver,” he said. “I never had like a real receiver coach, and I was never playing real receiver since I got here. I was an athlete but I had never been a receiver, so I wasn’t running crisp routes or (had) the best hands.
“Everything I’m doing now, like getting in and out of my breaks, running the routes the same — everything I’m doing now is so I can become a sound receiver.”

full article: http://www.timescall.com/news_story.asp?ID=21821

Hmm. My take is that Prince is paying dividends. He has his receivers doing the right things. I take it all as a big positive for the upcoming season. We should be much better at the WR position. Was that the wrong answer?

So, do you think Hawks' decision to coach WR last year was a good decision?

So, do you think Hawks' decision to coach WR last year was a good decision?

Hell no. It was a horrible desision. I have always believed that. A head coach needs to head coach, not be a position coach too.

Hell no. It was a horrible desision. I have always believed that. A head coach needs to head coach, not be a position coach too.

especially when the HC doesn't apparently know the technical details or how to coach them at the position hes coaching :lol:

Hmm. My take is that Prince is paying dividends. He has his receivers doing the right things. I take it all as a big positive for the upcoming season. We should be much better at the WR position. Was that the wrong answer?

I agree. I just wish Hawk wasn't so arrogant as to think he could coach the WRs last year, especially considering that quote leads me to believe that the guy didn't have a clue how to coach the position.

especially when the HC doesn't apparently know the technical details or how to coach them at the position hes coaching :lol:

Extend this train of thought to the assistants. Are they at the best spots for what they know?

If you do a little research to find out where guys played and compare their experience to what they coach now, it's really quite mind-boggling.

riddle 1987..jpg

AlferdJasper the voice of reason. Alferd just made my point better then I did. The below quote, which is stated as rumor, is not true. Hawkins has nobody to blame but himself and while he has not let that be known, he in fact does know it. The on filed performance has been putrid to say the least. There is not a single person, Dan Hawkins included that can make any excuse for it. While the staff, players and even the admin have tried to excuse this away, we all know they cannot. This coaching staff IS coaching for their very jobs this season. I believe we will see things on gameday we have not seen before. The imagination and creativity we saw in Boise should be reflected on Saturdays this fall...this will also lead to better special teams, (coverage and returns...god cant help our kicking game) and more athletes on the field. I will not make excuses for the staff! I will say that today they are Buffs and should be supported as such.

Dan has criticized the fan base. I have heard of him doing it at a recent charity golfing event. He said something to the effect that if he had more support from fans and boosters he would've been able to get more done here. He's right in some ways, but he's wrong to bring it up in the first place.

AlferdJasper the voice of reason. Alferd just made my point better then I did. The below quote, which is stated as rumor, is not true. Hawkins has nobody to blame but himself and while he has not let that be known, he in fact does know it. The on filed performance has been putrid to say the least. There is not a single person, Dan Hawkins included that can make any excuse for it. While the staff, players and even the admin have tried to excuse this away, we all know they cannot. This coaching staff IS coaching for their very jobs this season. I believe we will see things on gameday we have not seen before. The imagination and creativity we saw in Boise should be reflected on Saturdays this fall...this will also lead to better special teams, (coverage and returns...god cant help our kicking game) and more athletes on the field. I will not make excuses for the staff! I will say that today they are Buffs and should be supported as such.
First bolded response. They should have been coaching for their jobs since day one. But you expect us to believe now,, after four years, they discovered Danny's copy of the Boise playbook, lost during the move. I guess he found trunk full of funk stored in the attic, right? I find it hard to believe they know how to win and were just lollygagging around, but now, after year four of suckage, they will turn it on and all will be well. In other words, do we really want a staff that has to get pounded four years in a row before they get motivated to "coach for their jobs"?

Second bolded response; sounds to me like you are making excuses. Danny knows it's on him? Really? How do you know? You have no more credibility than the rumor that started this thread. This staff has been a failure. They should have been shown the door after episode four of Hawkball. Keeping Danny has done more damage than anything else I've seen in the past 22 years.

Last edited:
First bolded response. They should have been coaching for their jobs since day one. But you expect us to believe now,, after four years, they discovered Danny's copy of the Boise playbook, lost during the move. I guess he found trunk full of funk stored in the attic, right? I find it hard to believe they know how to win and were just lollygagging around, but now, after year four of suckage, they will turn it on and all will be well. In other words, do we really want a staff that has to get pounded four years in a row before they get motivated to "coach for their jobs"?

Second bolded response; sounds to me like you are making excuses. Danny knows it's on him? Really? How do you know? You have no more credibility than the rumor that started this thread. This staff has been a failure. They should have been shown the door after episode four of Hawkball. Keeping Danny has done more damage than anything else I've seen in the past 22 years.

DixonU,

Don't listen to Lefty, he's just bitter. :smile2:

I am 100% with you man threads like this are why the interwebs is so hated by administrators and coaches.

Did you hear him state that first hand? Just trying to clarify your post.

DixonU,

Don't listen to Lefty, he's just bitter. :smile2:

:lol: Not bitter, just a realist.

I was a Hawk backer until ISU this past year. I just don't believe he has what it takes at this level. The reason I say he's the worst thing to happen to CU FB since I've been following it the last 22 years, is that the fan base is being alienated. Some, surely not all. Even during the "scandal" the fan base was supportive, Hawk has succeeded in doing what even the haters couldn't do. That upsets me.

At the end of the day I just don't see Hawk being able to turn it around, and four years of the piss poor W/L record says it all....

:lol: Not bitter, just a realist.

I was a Hawk backer until ISU this past year. I just don't believe he has what it takes at this level. The reason I say he's the worst thing to happen to CU FB since I've been following it the last 22 years, is that the fan base is being alienated. Some, surely not all. Even during the "scandal" the fan base was supportive, Hawk has succeeded in doing what even the haters couldn't do. That upsets me.

At the end of the day I just don't see Hawk being able to turn it around, and four years of the piss poor W/L record says it all....
I get it. I can't wait 'til football season! This is going to be one of the more interesting seasons ever. If Hawkins turns it around, crows will go on the endangered species list! :lol:

I get it. I can't wait 'til football season! This is going to be one of the more interesting seasons ever. If Hawkins turns it around, crows will go on the endangered species list! :lol:

Let me go on the record now, IF Hawk turns it around, which I consider as likely as me winning an Oscar, I am no longer a believer. One good season (which I will define as 8 regular season wins), tells me Hawk is good for one good season against four stinkers. I'll always root for the Buffs, but I think the players deserve better IMO. I know the fans, alumni and ticket buyers do....

Last year was a golden opportunity to undo the damage. The OOC set up with what should have been three gimmes (CSU, Wyo and Toledo), to borrow a phrase from Mick, Hawk crapped his sansabelts and dropped two of those games. The OOC is crucial because CU really is not competitive anymore in the B12. Hawk came out flat on his face after talking a big talk (I know he didn't guarantee 10 W's) but he did talk like he expected to do well, and he failed miserably. I just don't think he knows how to compete at this level. I'd love to be wrong....

Last edited:

:lol: @ the posts like this.

You guys are troopers, holding out that long. I was over Hawk when I was watching Toledo's heavy footed QB run down the middle of our defense untouched for 60 yards.

I am 100% with you man threads like this are why the interwebs is so hated by administrators and coaches.

I could see why a winning coach would hate the internet and internet scum bashing them for no reason. Hawk is lucky to have a job and for him or you to think he's above criticism from the fans is hilarious to say the least.

Hawk should spend more time hating LOSING than hating the internet.

I could see why a winning coach would hate the internet and internet scum bashing them for no reason. Hawk is lucky to have a job and for him or you to think he's above criticism from the fans is hilarious to say the least.

Hawk should spend more time hating LOSING than hating the internet.

Hawk and the AD hated the internet long before he started losing, in fact back when we all still had his back they were busy fighting of rumors that Cody had repo'd Bernard jackson's number. The internet is unfounded rumor central and this is more of that. Some one heard, something that they told me third hand, and is reporting it as fact, it is almost always bull****. For all we know it never happened and in more likely hood was misconstrued by someone one who doesnt know his ear hole from his ass hole.

Well..Gosh. When you are thrown into to fire coaching a big time college football program, you want to know who you are dealing with. The internet is full of annonymous people who haven't risked having their names out there. These guys don't have their names and reputations on the line. What risks have an Internet poster taken? You want to tell them to go out there and coach a football team. Anyone can take shots at the football program from the computer monitor, but what have they accomplished? As a coach, you can't be bothered by that stuff like e-mail and the internet.

You need to know that when you are raised by a logger, the margin for errors is tiny. One tiny inch can mean the difference between life and death. These guys take risks every day, bring their lunchboxes, and they stand behind their good name. That's how you want to coach a football program. You want to focus on the little things and do things right. We're close. We really are. And I think out administration understands that.

You want to have adversity because that's what this is all about. You focus on doing the right things and not get stuck on the peaks and valleys. You get the best kids and you tell them it's about the whole picture. You got to win the right way. That's how a foundation is made and you can build from there.

This had been the best spring we've had. You can see the leadership. Kids are competing, like at the QB position. Those guys are neck and neck. The maturity is an intangible we haven't seen. Things are about to pop.

Well..Gosh. When you are thrown into to fire coaching a big time college football program, you want to know who you are dealing with. The internet is full of annonymous people who haven't risked having their names out there. These guys don't have their names and reputations on the line. What risks have an Internet poster taken? You want to tell them to go out there and coach a football team. Anyone can take shots at the football program from the computer monitor, but what have they accomplished? As a coach, you can't be bothered by that stuff like e-mail and the internet.

You need to know that when you are raised by a logger, the margin for errors is tiny. One tiny inch can mean the difference between life and death. These guys take risks every day, bring their lunchboxes, and they stand behind their good name. That's how you want to coach a football program. You want to focus on the little things and do things right. We're close. We really are. And I think out administration understands that.

You want to have adversity because that's what this is all about. You focus on doing the right things and not get stuck on the peaks and valleys. You get the best kids and you tell them it's about the whole picture. You got to win the right way. That's how a foundation is made and you can build from there.

This had been the best spring we've had. You can see the leadership. Kids are competing, like at the QB position. Those guys are neck and neck. The maturity is an intangible we haven't seen. Things are about to pop.

I think you are ready to move up from intramural posting and get into big time Big 12 posting Brotha. If your son could be a mod, you'd be set. I can tell from this post, this isn't your first rodeo.

I completely disagree with you. I don't think we are "close" to anything other than a decade long stay in the bottom of the big12 rankings. I like your enthusiasm.... but lets get real here. Hawk is a loser and has proven nothing different. He cannot coach in game, he refuses to play the best talent, he has lost the ability to recruit and he cannot hold onto descent players once he does sign them. Hawk maybe a nice guy but I am sorry to say but he cannot win at Colorado. This team looked good in the spring.... but they played THEMSELVES! We have the longest losing streak in the big 12 on the road. We got embarrassed by ISU, Toledo, CSU etc over the past few years. Furthermore look at our schedule this year. Instead of Wyoming and Toledo we play Georgia and Cal. We play the hardest Big 12 games on the road and we draw OU and Tech from the south. Even in the best circumstance we are looking at 6-6..... and I mean ABSOLUTE BEST CASE. Honestly we are looking at another 2 or 3 win year. So I dont care that the team looked "better" than last year and I don't care that they looked good against their own players. Bottom line is there is NO EXCUSE FOR 2 or 3 WIN SEASONS AT COLORADO PERIOD! Hawk should have been gone last year. Now the fan support is crumbling, the media does not give us any coverage, recruiting sucks and ticket sales are tanking. This program is on life support and I truly hope Bohn pulls his head outta his ass soon and saves this program by getting rid of Hawk.

Back