1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawkspeak RE: Participation

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by aik, Oct 28, 2009.

1. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

Per Ringo's blog, how taking the youth sports approach has done SO WELL for this program.

http://bit.ly/8dAIt

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

noticed that... isn't there some other way to do things? gaaah

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

“Now you’ve watered down your entire program.... You’ve told those kids that just because he is bigger, faster and stronger than you, and forget all the rest, he’s playing in front of you.”

I understand the message and the philosophy about earning playing time by doing the right things to earn that trust. But that also came across as pretty rigid to me. Different people are motivated in different ways.

Some guys, if given playing time, are going to do better in practice, school, time management, etc. The entire interview points to Dan believing that everyone is motivated by rewards. It's simply not true. Many people become high achievers through fear of failure or punishment.

Besides, it's very ignorant of the way a locker room works and athletes think. They care whether a guy can help them win. Can make plays. An easy was to lose a team is to bench a playmaker because he's been late to some classes... and then lose.

4. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

There are also those guys for whatever reason, shine on game day. They show up in practice, but the adrenaline hits them and they are game day blow-your-mind amazing. But in Hawkins's world, he'll never find this out, because if they weren't the perfect "practice" guy, it's not enough. Never enough.

5. 13Buff

13Buff Club Member Club Member

“I know this from doing this for close to 30 years. You win with achievers and you lose with potential."

Apperently Hawk has great coaching potential.

6. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Rep!:rofl2:

7. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Any coach and any person that knows anything about football knows he is dead wrong. You use the people that give you the best opportunity to succeed, to win. The NFL, the NBA, and every major pro sport is filled with the guys that have the best TALENT, otherwise the leagues would be full of people who would be willing to outwork those guys for a minimum 6 figure salary any day. Unbelievable!

8. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

After reading that I hate our f-ing coach more now that I did two hours ago. He is a total waste. What a f-ing joke.

...because he is bigger, faster and stronger than you, and forget all the rest, he’s playing in front of you.”

Hey Juicebox, just to let you in on a little know secret in football, bigger, stronger, and faster translates to sucess on the field. If you don't believe me look at the rosters on USC, UT, Alabama, Florida, OU and the list goes on and on.

Benching your best talent and then playing slow, short, and weak just to prove a point results in the horrible record that you have at CU.

What a total asshat Juicebox is.

9. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

While education is an absolute must at a university he seems to overlook the fact they are here on an athletic scholarship

10. Bolond

Bolond Member

If these 'guys' are such achievers, why are they underachieving on the field? And what explains the penalties on offense?

11. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

They're trying to cheat the snap count so they have a chance against the bigger, stronger, faster guys across the line from them? :confused:

12. Bolond

Bolond Member

You think with Hawk's 'ACHIEVER' Program that he's got going, with these guys being on time for practice and everything, there wouldn't be so many false starts, and delay of game penalties, huh?

13. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

So I live in 49er land and it strikes me how Hawkins handling of this is in complete contrast to Mike Singletary's handling of Michael Crabtree.
    The dude held out thru 4 regular season games not practicing with the team at all. He finally signs and 2 games later he's not only playing, he's starting. Why? Because he's BETTER than the next guy.

Bottom line - play the guy who can help you win.

14. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

It is so clear Mike Singletary never was a head coach before....

15. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

It's official. The Buffs are now a Cub Scout troop.

16. buffalo30

buffalo30 Active Member

Hawkins: We like the T-Ball concept... We do everything right. Everyone plays, we don't keep score, no one feels bad, we're all happy. It's beautiful, man, just beautiful.

17. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

:yeahthat: It reminds me of middle school no-cut athletics or the PE teachers that are so afraid of making students feel bad that they jump rope without the rope so nobody feels inferior.

18. Bolond

Bolond Member

So that's what Hawk was talkin' about when he said BUFF BALL, when mentioning redshirt participation during the press conf.

19. aik

Remember walk ons! Webelo Hawk says "Always do your best!"

20. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Sounds about right to me.

21. aik

"All the rest" is an intangible ideal that fails to show up in the box score, in the standings, and at the top of an athletic director's wish list in 2010 when considering out-of-work candidates for an opening at another BCS school.

22. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

I am curious to see if anyone wants to defend this style of coaching. It is a huge reason why we are bad, IMO.

23. TheRoyale90

TheRoyale90 Member

I think Dan Hawkins would be a good fit for one of the service academies. They have the very type of hard working, disciplined over achievers he's looking for. Those young men have to be, when they graduate they won't go on to the league, they'll be leading our young men into combat in Afghanistan and Iraq. DH has totally unrealistic expectations of the players at typical D1 universities. I absolutely believe that bigger, stronger, faster trumps hard working, film studying gym rats. Not saying that's how it ought to be, just saying that's how it is.

24. aik

The things about grades and attitude are important. I am proud of representing a clean program. But Hawk and the AD already did a good job with those things, and I'll always be prouder with some wins. And at least knowing that if we lost, we got outplayed by opponents because we were putting our A-game on the field. A lot of what made this team tough and feared 20 years ago was that moral victories meant **** to them.

25. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Here is what I read into that...everything is subjective in Hawkins evaluations. So you can be kicking someone's butt in practice all week but if Hawkins decide you don't meet his criteria you sit.

26. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Totally agree. I like that he does this, however, what I don't like is that if he is calling out players...well, they are HIS players. He told them and their parents what to expect out of being a part of the CU FB program. I know they are D1 athletes and not everyone on the team would be going to school if they weren't such gifted athletes, but CU is and will always be more than a football factory.

Most of these guys will never make a serious cut at the NFL, yet they all seem to think they are a lock. Nope. Life doesn't work out that way. Busting your ass > talent in a lot situations, however, football isn't one of them unfortunately. GPAs and very little off of the field incidents are a GREAT thing. Teaching them important life lessons is a GREAT thing; the same can be said that it's good to teach guys that sometimes your best isn't good enough. Take for instance me and my job. I'm highly skilled and I am smart, but my roommate--whom I work with--operates on a different intellectual level than I do. It sucks and I work hard, but it's more natural for him. Tough ****. I must adapt, learn and move forward.

Don't tell me Simmons isn't a hard, talented worker either. The same goes for guys like Mohler and I'm sure there are plenty of others. Neither of these guys have seen the field much this season so there has to be something more going on. I know Simmons has to work on his timing routes with Cody/Tyler and learn the playbook, but he shouldn't have had his redshirt burned if he wasn't going to get more PT.

27. Bolond

Bolond Member

I would love to hear what Hawk has to say about our team's fat little girlfriends...
    [video=youtube;c6brYtuPX-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6brYtuPX-Q[/video]

28. aik

Most misguided quote ever. Granted, Tech isn't nationally acclaimed for blue chip coeds, but the football players should ideally be on the cream of the crop as far as the student body (pun) is concerned. Reference my comments in the volleyball thread. Those girls.

29. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Everyone has to take care of their responsibilities, but Hawk's going to get graded, and lose his job, based on the team's performance on the field. Then he'll be a non-Buffalo saying how he did everything right, and in the big picture, it was okay for him to lose most of his games and his job.

30. aik

He'll still be a Buffalo. That is, fullbacks coach at Buffalo.