What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Head Coach and Recruiting

El Gringo

Something witty and clever
Club Member
Much is being made of the pros and cons of various potential candidates' ability to recruit. "Bienemy is the best recruiter out there." "Mac is too old to connect with 17/18 year-olds. He can't recruit at his age." I wonder, though, how much that should be a consideration. In the last couple of years, the ability of head coaches has been significantly restricted. Hawkins was just last year lamenting that one of his favorite aspects of the job had been cut short with limits on the number of visits a HC can make. The HC is now effectively the closer. The assistants do the dirty work, then the Head Coach gets one or two shots to impress the recruit and his family. Given these restrictions, is EB still the candidate of choice? Does this "closer" role favor an old-dog like Mac? What think you, Allbuffers?

I think the old-dog Mac could be a good closer with some kids/parents while somebody like EB would be better with other kids/parents as the closer.

I think the future of coaching is youth...

We now see PSA videos online and as fans have access to information not available to us even 10 years ago.

Ultimately the staff needs to be connected.... to youth, to twitter (I still don't get twitter), to Facebook/MySpace, etc...

Extremely important is the ability of staff to connect with high school coaches, particularly in California.

This is not to say that an "old timer" can't get it done, but when you look at the big picture for the next couple of decades a great HC will either be youthful by nature or have a relentless recruiting staff who is.

Just sayin'...

Back