What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Helfrich interviewing at Oregon (No longer CU OC)

Re: Helfrich interviewing at Oregon

As long as the terminilogy is the same I'm 100% ok with this. Remember a lot of these guys couldn't even remember the plays after 4 years. A spring of practice with Kiesau would have been nice. Hopefully we'll bring in a good recruiter. Helfrich wasn't very good and Kiesau stays

Last edited:

I thought that we got rid of that already this spring....no?

IMO....Helfrich leaving will only negatively affect our offense next year. Now we are breaking in a new OC and starting from scratch all over again.:sad1:

There is no evidence to suggest that Helfrich knew what he was doing as an offensive coordinator. There is also no evidence to suggest that he was a very good quarterbacks coach. He had 3 years and there was nothing to show for it. I wish him well at Oregon. Maybe he will learn from his mistakes at Colorado and become a good coach someday? I am indifferent to what he does now that he is no longer at Colorado.

Kiesau knows the offense and the personnel. Who knows... maybe he had a part in implementing the offense that we saw emerging in the spring game/scrimmage? The personnel looks to me like it is ripe for developing a power running/play-action passing offense. Plenty of linemen and now a line coach who is teaching drive blocking and hard-nosed line play, plenty of backs and tight ends.

In my estimation there is only a 5% chance that Helfrich leaving negatively affects the offense. I'll roll the dice on 95/5 odds any day.

As long as the terminilogy is the same I'm 100% ok with this. Remember a lot of these guys couldn't even remember the plays after 4 years. A spring of practice with Kiesau would have been nice

My thinking is that Kiesau ran the show much of spring anyways, seeing that Helfrich was obviously looking at Oregon for awhile and how quickly Hawk hired him after Helfrich moved on.

Could be another reason they kicked the fans out from Spring so that speculation over Helfrich didn't spark up earlier.

So does Oregon really pay their QB coach significantly more than the CU OC makes? I have a hard time believing that. There had to be more to this story than just $$. Why take a step backwards in your career?

My thinking is that Kiesau ran the show much of spring anyways, seeing that Helfrich was obviously looking at Oregon for awhile and how quickly Hawk hired him after Helfrich moved on.

Could be another reason they kicked the fans out from Spring so that speculation over Helfrich didn't spark up earlier.
very good point!!!

So does Oregon really pay their QB coach significantly more than the CU OC makes? I have a hard time believing that. There had to be more to this story than just $$. Why take a step backwards in your career?

Maybe a longer guarantee is worth some dough...

Maybe a longer guarantee is worth some dough...
maybe it was obvious that Hawk wanted to go another direction with the offense, like giving Kiesau more of a say, etc.

maybe it was obvious that Hawk wanted to go another direction with the offense, like giving Kiesau more of a say, etc.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. I wonder if he was encouraged to look elsewhere?

There is no evidence to suggest that Helfrich knew what he was doing as an offensive coordinator. There is also no evidence to suggest that he was a very good quarterbacks coach. He had 3 years and there was nothing to show for it. I wish him well at Oregon. Maybe he will learn from his mistakes at Colorado and become a good coach someday? I am indifferent to what he does now that he is no longer at Colorado.

Kiesau knows the offense and the personnel. Who knows... maybe he had a part in implementing the offense that we saw emerging in the spring game/scrimmage? The personnel looks to me like it is ripe for developing a power running/play-action passing offense. Plenty of linemen and now a line coach who is teaching drive blocking and hard-nosed line play, plenty of backs and tight ends.

In my estimation there is only a 5% chance that Helfrich leaving negatively affects the offense. I'll roll the dice on 95/5 odds any day.
:iagree:

Helfrich really showed very little IMO. In all fairness though, '06 he had no QB, at least not one that was a threat to throw, '07 was OK IMO, until opposing DC's saw enough film on CH to know he wasn't going to beat them over the top. Then DC's crowded the box and the explanation of why CU could beat a very good OU team, but lose to KU, KSU and ISU is explained. To address that problem, Helfrich designed the dipsy-doodle shotgun which was a schematic cluster to begin with, compounded by tons of injuries. It's hard for me to believe Kiesau will not be an improvement.

Not sure if this made the board but Helfrich whored himself out last year and lied to Hawk about an "interview with Belotti" to get more $$$. Fake. I'm sure it made the board, too lazy to look. I'm holding out to see who we snag as a WR coach. I hope we get a stud recruiter (not one of Helfrich's strengths)

Not sure if this made the board but Helfrich whored himself out last year and lied to Hawk about an "interview with Belotti" to get more $$$. Fake. I'm sure it made the board, too lazy to look. I'm holding out to see who we snag as a WR coach. I hope we get a stud recruiter (not one of Helfrich's strengths)
recruiter plus solid fundamentals guy. somebody who actually played the position.

Actually, now that I look i'm surprised that there is such a small pay discrepancy between Kiesau and Helfrich.

Last year Helfrich made $218k and Kiesau was at $194k. CU pays their assistants pretty well compared to others in the conference, but they seem to have fewer of them and the Coordinators don't make huge $ comparatively:

http://newsok.com/article/3272560

The no contract thing is a biggie, though.

I agree. I've complained several times that we've had a new offense every single year under this coaching staff. Four years, four offensive schemes, poor results. Hopefully Kiesau can settle it down and start moving things in the right direction.

Let me put on my bcs hat for just a sec...

A former buff o-linemen (posts on rivals) that played recently LOVED this hire and said that replacing Helfrich with Kiesau is a huge step in the right direction with the offense, recruiting and how he's embraced by the team.

Take that for what it's worth

Let me put on my bcs hat for just a sec...

A former buff o-linemen (posts on rivals) that played recently LOVED this hire and said that replacing Helfrich with Kiesau is a huge step in the right direction with the offense, recruiting and how he's embraced by the team.

Take that for what it's worth

It doesn't surprise me one bit that a former Buff lineman said this.

Funny thing is I get this feeling that come end of season this year that CU will have had a solid season thanks in big part to a massive turnaround offensively. Do not be surprised if we have massive improvement on the offense.

Actually, now that I look i'm surprised that there is such a small pay discrepancy between Kiesau and Helfrich.

Last year Helfrich made $218k and Kiesau was at $194k. CU pays their assistants pretty well compared to others in the conference, but they seem to have fewer of them and the Coordinators don't make huge $ comparatively:

http://newsok.com/article/3272560

The no contract thing is a biggie, though.

Cabral needs a raise.

Why call a reverse on 2nd and goal from the 2? Because your name is Helfrich.

Cabral needs a raise.

I'd agree with that. What are the factors that contribute to the disparity in pay between, say Coach Hagan and former O-line coach Grimes? I think Grimes was also the running game coordinator, is there more to it than this?

Anybody?

When a position coach is also associate head coach (a la Kiesau until today and Cabral) how does that rank compared to the coordinator?

I mean, who outranks who - the OC, or the WR coach/associate head coach?

Not saying it's going to happen, but I'm curious to see what all the people on their knees over Kiesau would do if he failed at OC

Not saying it's going to happen, but I'm curious to see what all the people on their knees over Kiesau would do if he failed at OC

We're going to find out, aren't we?

If he didn't get promoted, he likely leaves - he got offered by Oregon, too, but chose to stay in Boulder. So at least this way we get to keep him and see what he can do.

Admit we were wrong and then lobby for Dave Logan, of course.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit I was a big supporter of Gary Barnett when he was hired. I thought he would be fantastic. It turns out he wasn't. So I was wrong. It's happened once or twice.

Admit we were wrong and then lobby for Dave Logan, of course.

Hey, I'll be the first to admit I was a big supporter of Gary Barnett when he was hired. I thought he would be fantastic. It turns out he wasn't. So I was wrong. It's happened once or twice today.

FIFY:smile2:

Back