1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helfrich versus Kiesau

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Idot Buff, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Even with a payout coming from CU for early termination, Kiesau obviously has to be kicking himself for not making the jump to Oregon last year. And Helfrich is counting his blessings in a big way. One guy now with huge salary and career upside, and the other screwing the pooch, hoping for a gig wherever he can get it.....

2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Kiesau will do just fine, thanks. Hell, he gets a buyout just like Hawk did. Not as much, but he gets a buyout and he is probably still pretty highly regarded in the coaching community. So, he will get a job pretty quick and get the buy out bonus to boot.

3. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Unless Embree and EB have their sights set on someone specific, might he just stay on as his old position as a wr coach. The dude is a solid assistant and recruiter, I wouldn't mind him staying on as wr/passing game coach.

4. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Nor would I. I wonder if the admin is "encouraging" JE to make such a decision? It would save a half mil.

5. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

Becoming a coordinator at CU is a very good thing for Kies. I believe his experience here, will be a good thing for his career.

6. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Don't disagree, but he would be in a hell of a lot better position today had he bailed out last year for Oregon. And, the baggage associated with his time under Danny will considerably weigh down his short-term advancement. If he is any good (and the jury is out), then he likely lost 3-5 years on his career.

7. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

I've had the same thought. People don't seem to think much of Kennedy as a coach, just as a recruiter. Kiesau is a pretty good recruiter, at least decent as a WR coach, and already under contract.

Of course, after the demotion he's going to be gone for the first opportunity he gets elsewhere, so the question is, how much is getting Kennedy worth to us?

8. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

He is 38. A bit much to act like he killed his career.

I am more than fine letting him move on as well.

9. mdelpizzo_1

mdelpizzo_1 My Dixie Wrecked Club Member

EK I think is only guaranteed 200K?