What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Henderson's article

This is the year for Hawk. I'm not saying that he needs to win the 10 games, but it is time for this program to show visible improvements. We have as favorable schedule as we will ever have, and the talent level is up.

When do fans quit using barnett as a crutch and when does this become hawk's team? It gets pushed back year after year.

It's year 4, no excuses. It's his team now and this crap wouldn't fly at most other schools.

Hawk needs to start signing full classes and over if need be. We need to be up to snuff on scholarship players.

This is the year for Hawk. I'm not saying that he needs to win the 10 games, but it is time for this program to show visible improvements. We have as favorable schedule as we will ever have, and the talent level is up.

When do fans quit using barnett as a crutch and when does this become hawk's team? It gets pushed back year after year.

It's year 4, no excuses. It's his team now and this crap wouldn't fly at most other schools.

Hawk needs to start signing full classes and over if need be. We need to be up to snuff on scholarship players.

Amen to both posts!

This is Hawk's team when his first legit class is Seniors. His first legit class was his 2nd one, because that first one was filled with hopes and leaps of faith, most of which never got here. (not unusual or unexpected by the way).

Last year was a huge step back to the casual observer. We didn't fill the class because we couldn't get anyone worthy enough to fill it. Clearly the staff took some big risks in signing Moten, Nuckols, Simon and Simmons (1 for 4, but why not take the gamble?). That is about what we could do given the awful play last year.

Last year was the bottom IMO.

Fast forward and I think you will see that Hawkins brought in some guys that were under the radar in 2009 (West, Jefferson, Olatoye....) and also some nice walkons ("Quick", Lobato....).

We agree we need to win before we can fill this class like we did when we were "on the rise" in '08's signing period. This year is critical to that.

But - this class IS Sophomore loaded and this team will WIN in the near future. And I'm also sure Hawkins will be here to see it thru, despite many fans being less than thrilled with that prospect.

This is Hawk's team when his first legit class is Seniors. His first legit class was his 2nd one, because that first one was filled with hopes and leaps of faith, most of which never got here. (not unusual or unexpected by the way).

Last year was a huge step back to the casual observer. We didn't fill the class because we couldn't get anyone worthy enough to fill it. Clearly the staff took some big risks in signing Moten, Nuckols, Simon and Simmons (1 for 4, but why not take the gamble?). That is about what we could do given the awful play last year.

Fast forward and I think you will see that Hawkins brought in some guys that were under the radar in 2009 (West, Jefferson, Olatoye....) and also some nice walkons ("Quick", Lobato....).

We agree we need to win before we can fill this class like we did when we were "on the rise" in '08's signing period. This year is critical to that.

But - this class IS Sophomore loaded and this team will WIN in the near future. And I'm also sure Hawkins will be here to see it thru, despite many fans being less than thrilled with that prospect.

I disagree about this still not being Hawks team. The majority of players were recruited by Hawk and this is year 4. No excuses now. 4 years for the remaining barnett people to learn. Like it's been said, if this were to happen at Nebraska or Oklahoma, there would be an outrage worse than whats going on in Boulder right now. It's time, no more excuses! NONE! No injuries and no youth. This is Hawks team facing a favorable schedule.

What is this supposed to mean? Hawk has gotten plenty of support in his three years at CU. But at some point, the wins need to match the rhetoric. Let's not pretend that Hawk did not come in from day one talking a big game. We all know he did.

Win in the near future? So, year 4 it's unrealistic to expect a winning season? If so, we have the wrong guy.

I think most of us are looking at 8 wins probably being a reasonable expectation for this year.

Take a look at the classes in the program right now. 2005,6,7,8,9. I think most of us could have predicted when they were recruited that the 2005 and 2006 classes were probably the type of classes that would put you at .500 give or take a game, in the Big XII... So if we're going to win 8 games or more at this point it is going to have to be the younger classes, 2007-9, that are going to have to step up and be big contributors. Those guys are true juniors and younger.

Nobody may want to hear that we are a young team right now, but because of that two year hole in our recruiting, we'd be in bigger trouble if we weren't playing a lot of young guys right now, imo...

BCS was pretty annoying pretty quick.

Win in the near future? So, year 4 it's unrealistic to expect a winning season? If so, we have the wrong guy.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I really don't see anyone here trying to say 'Give Hawk slack when he has a losing season again'. It seems to be more of a '7 wins might be a more worst case scenario-- 8-9 more likely, and 10 wins just gravy!' argument that we are all having. You keep acting like everyone is trying to make you happy over a losing season again. Nobody, and I mean, nobody-- will be happy here with another losing season. I also don't think with the primary workhorses on the team being sophmores or juniors, we should expect an undefeated season either. I personally think it will be a very good jump for the team, and would be surprised if it does not lead to a top 25 recruiting class. I think kids are waiting to see if Hawk is for real here since they all know that this will be the telling year.

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but I really don't see anyone here trying to say 'Give Hawk slack when he has a losing season again'. It seems to be more of a '7 wins might be a more worst case scenario-- 8-9 more likely, and 10 wins just gravy!' argument that we are all having. You keep acting like everyone is trying to make you happy over a losing season again. Nobody, and I mean, nobody-- will be happy here with another losing season. I also don't think with the primary workhorses on the team being sophmores or juniors, we should expect an undefeated season either. I personally think it will be a very good jump for the team, and would be surprised if it does not lead to a top 25 recruiting class. I think kids are waiting to see if Hawk is for real here since they all know that this will be the telling year.

I didn't say they were just stating that 7-5 and a bowl win this season shouldn't be too much to expect.

Not sure why you multiquoted the bit about BCS being annoying, but I like it. I might include it in my signature line!

Not sure why you multiquoted the bit about BCS being annoying, but I like it. I might include it in my signature line!

Oh yeah-- I quoted two things, didn't I?:lol:

The BCS quote was only for me to say that there is irritating, and annoying. BCS is like the little yappy puppy irritating; but has his own charm in a way. Like a slightly slow mascot.:thumbsup:

Then there are the annoying posters who get put on ignore. BCS is not that type to me. In fact, I wondered if he had slowed down on the drinking as he was much more coherent in his posts this summer.

Oh yeah-- I quoted two things, didn't I?:lol:

The BCS quote was only for me to say that there is irritating, and annoying. BCS is like the little yappy puppy irritating; but has his own charm in a way. Like a slightly slow mascot.:thumbsup:

Then there are the annoying posters who get put on ignore. BCS is not that type to me. In fact, I wondered if he had slowed down on the drinking as he was much more coherent in his posts this summer.

I like having BCS around. Sure he's annoying and yappy, but he's ours!

Really, more coherent this summer? Huh, I'll have to review those posts I guess.:smile:

I like having BCS around. Sure he's annoying and yappy, but he's ours!

Really, more coherent this summer? Huh, I'll have to review those posts I guess.:smile:

Yeah, maybe I will too. There is the small chance that I have become jaded to his drunken posting and just, well, you know, expect more from him than we have been getting lately.:lol:

No, its: How dare a former Buff player state things like a D-bag, cuz he loves the former HC more than Hawk, particularly when the former HC left the program in a shambles, mostly of his own doing!!!

Pesavento didn't say anything outrageous or anything that hasn't been said on these boards.. Quit bashing a former Buff who's speaking what he feels. Last year and this coming year has nothing to do with Barnett..

Hawk has had plenty of time to fill holes on the depth chart.. He's continually failed for whatever reason to properly address the WR, DL and overall team speed on the team.. And I just checked our recruiting for this year and we have 4 commits a week before the season starts.. Is that Barnett's fault too? :rolleyes: I fully admit I don't follow recruiting and what player we are after or this player, blah, blah, but I can look at our amount of commits compared to our Big 12 rivals and see that there's a huge difference this year in the amount of commits they have and what we have. If you don't have players its hard to win in this league..

Hawk has been given a great amount of slack here at Allbuffs. Yes, I've criticized and have had my usual out of line blowups after we lost to CSU in 06, Iowa State in 07 and Nebraska in 08, but I've still kept a perspective that we weren't in position to compete for a Big 12 title.. I've been pissed that Hawk has coached like a clown at times, but me or any other the most critical ones (slade and syko come to mind) ever believed or expected us to win the conference or something bigger in his first 3 years here.

But as of right now, its time for everyone to leave the Barnett blame game out of the conservation.. Hawk has made his own bed with these players and its time for him to start producing.. I think we have a pretty favorable schedule this year and I think an 8-4 (3 game improvement from last year) record is something that Hawk should be able to achieve.. 8-4, hell even 7-5 probably would signal to me that Hawk has the program going in the right direction.

I thought the most interesting part of the article was Hypolite's, Dizon's, and
Geer's remarks about the difference between Barnett and Hawk. Barnett often went pretty far with the emotional appeals--remember threatening to take the Buffalo off the helmet--while Hawk and his teams seem almost preternaturally calm. I sort of thought that Hawk was intentionally dialing down the emotion because his teams were so young and inexperienced and he feared they would miss assignments if too fired up, but it seems that this is how he coaches all the time.

The articles in the paper on Sunday caused me to ponder Coach Hawkins. I realized I have always had a problem understanding Hawkins and what he really stands for. In the articles, he says his comments about 10 & no excuses and the "Go play intramurals, brutah!" Were taken out of context and blown out of proportion. In the case of the intramurals comment, he was the one that brought it up and his rant appeared to be scripted...It seems he was the one who chose to blow it out of proportion.

10 wins and no excuses - how can a definitive statement like that be taken out of context? It worries me that he is backing away from the comment now in that how do the players see it - did he not mean it.

I will admit I am in the camp where Dan Hawkins needs to prove that he is the right coach - most of his stuff does not resonate with me. To me, he has a lot of sound bites but he doesn't mean them.

Bottom line is this has to be a good year for Hawk. At least 7 wins and a bowl. But not just the wins, they need to start showing the ability to compete and win on the road, and handle the teams that they should crush. I'm sick of watching 4th quarter comebacks against teams that we should beat by 3 touchdowns.

Yeah, but I'll ****ing be stucking in ****ing ****lahoma and don't yet know if I'll be able to see the game on Sunday. So it could be two more weeks for me, goddammit.

Both Joel and Bobby called it like they see it. I have no difficulty with either one of them. Furthermore, I doubt Bobby is looking for anything. He is simply looking for a winning football team. I fully agree with him when he says, "Now's the time. There's no room for excuses."
I don't find anything wrong with it. Former players like anyone else are looking for winning football teams. I fully support Coach Hawkins and expect winning football in year four.

From Klatt:
"Last year I thought they were trying to play to a system rather than
play to the players," said Joel Klatt, Colorado's quarterback from
2002-05 and now a local sports talk show co-host. "Rodney Stewart is
a phenomenal running back and happened to fit the system of the
shotgun offense. Darrell Scott was never going to rush or reach his
capability getting the ball 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage in a
dead stop in the shotgun set."

From Pesavento:
"As an alum and former player, it needs to be right away," Pesavento
said of a turnaround. "He's going into his fourth year. He has all
his kids now. Now's the time. There's no room for excuses."