1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's Reality at CU for a Football Coach

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by rialto, Nov 29, 2012.

1. rialto

rialto Member

It doesn't matter who you hire or how much you pay a new HC, CU is a different animal when it comes to football. None of the big name coaches have the first clue the unique challenges they will face - they dwarf other major programs. Barnett was successful because he knew the challenges that existed. He also had the help of an AD who knew how to navigate the waters. As General Counsel for CU, Tharp knew all the secrets of CU. It is no coincidence that CU has had NO football success since he's been gone. These are institutional problems and won't be changed by paying a coach $2.5M or more per year.

Every coach in the modern era of college football has attested to the unique problems in this program. Say what you want about Neuheisel, Barnett, Hawk or Embree- they ALL say the same thing - and all 4 cannot be ignored.

For example, some of you may not want to believe it, but it is a fact that at Northwestern, Barnett could get kids into school he could not at CU. Part of that is because private schools can mask and hide some of their inner workings and don't have to be held accountable to the State. So, stop with all any analogies to Stanford.

One of the biggest impediments to CU hiring a quality coach is Mike Bohn - his reputation in coaching circles in college football is terrible. A very troubling aspect is his dishonesty. He flat-out lied on the radio about coaches not having to monitor kids attendance at class. Klatt rightly called him out on it. The manner in which Bohn terminated Embree was similar to how he terminated Barnett. Tell them one thing, then turn around and do something completely different. Bohn needs to be gone ASAP.

Any coach worth his salt is gonna do some research before taking a job here. Hawk did it, Embree did it - the problem is neither listened to the advice they were being given and both acknowledged as much when they were terminated.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    buffs04 likes this.
  2. DrunkRalphie

DrunkRalphie Well-Known Member

Is that you Big Al?

3. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

So what exactly are those things that make CU hard to win at? I keep hearing this but no one can give a legit argument about them. What was so different in the 110 other years of CU football?

This is a good job, and multiple people have said this.

4. Burrito Palazzo

Burrito Palazzo huff my smug Club Member

Man, I hope our next coach doesn't listen either after doing his research!

5. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

too many hot chicks that dig athletes. Makes legs weak.

6. Gramburglar

Gramburglar Literally has hundreds of dollars Club Member

What are the specific challenges of coaching football in Boulder that dwarf other major programs? I would love to hear why, every time somebody says there are unique problems there is little added to elaborate on uniqueness of the problem.

7. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

So you honestly think that when, say, Jimbo Fisher, Dabo Swinney, David Cutcliffe and Randy Edsall see each other that Mike Bohn is one of the hot topics of discussion?

8. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

Bolded is false, and Klatt knows it. We had multiple people post that morning about what the situation was. AD VOLUNTEERS, not coaches, checked on kids. One was even mentioned by name.

9. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

This will be worth bumping next year when we have 2 wins.

10. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Holy ****, someone actually willing to defend Dickhead Tharp. No wonder he lied in his post.

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

details please.

12. Uncle Ken

Uncle Ken Orr no morr Club Member

Agree with OP or not, this is an interesting conversation to have.

13. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

This would be especially interesting if true.

14. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

The admissions stuff is not really new. Most of us have known that its ****ed up for awhile. My understanding was that Bohn made great headway in the department with Embree.

15. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

Talk about how good Tharp is, AND defend Klatt?

That's a lot of bull**** in one post, even one that long.

16. TimmyDUBs

TimmyDUBs Dirty haole Club Member

This is your reality check?!? Weak. Great downer thread with no point

17. L Buff

L Buff Commissar of the Albuffs Collective Left Club Member

Just in case anyone needs a reminder as to who "rialto" is ... and the kinds of things he posts. I have my suspicions as to his true identity ... but without FACTS to back it up, I shan't post that (whereas said lack of facts does not appear to deter him from posting utter bull****).

18. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Northwestern "FACTS" of rialto are patently false I can speak him from longstanding family involvement with the school that bending admissions for Barnett never happened, and frankly the fact he'd even make that statement is an insult to how good of a coach GB was.

19. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

The first time I encountered this poster's posts I suspected that he was a shill; now I know that he was. Lame.

20. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Yawn. Nothing to see here. Move along. Move along.

21. Dunken

Dunken Member

Look stop posting BS about how hard it is to coach at CU, unless you back that post up with facts....... I am sure ever school has some kind of "unique" challenges.

22. gobuffs58

gobuffs58 Well-Known Member

i will say we need to see a bunch of "cranes" in the air very soon to upgrade our football facilities!

23. skibum

skibum Peed in your Cheerios. Club Member

I've read profiles, interviews, and general "how did they do that?" articles of many successful coaches, and somewhere along the line there's some sort of comment about making sure the kids go to class. Petrino had a member of his staff check up on certain kids at 9pm EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Newsflash: the school doesn't do these things! But good coaches do - they make sure their kids are going to class.

The most annoying part about this whole kerfuffle is that we have identified at least one of the people who checked up on the player's class attendance at CU this last year BY NAME. He has been identified by two different people. And guess what? He's not a ****ing coach. He's an AD volunteer - just like at other schools.

Sure there are issues at CU, we all kinda sorta want to believe that. But there is a difference between some vague, mystical "issues," and concrete facts that can be changed. You just make yourself look like a complete idot when you cite "facts" that are easily refutable bull****.

wsp4820 likes this.
  24. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Well, after Hawkins and Embree, he is legend.

25. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

you must have missed it...Remeber? It is the lack of water and we don't have enough chairs

26. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

UCLA, CAL Berkley, Florida, Texas, aTm, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia, San Jose State, Oklahoma, Utah State, Boise State, Oregon = all public universities (with decent to excellent academics...didn't even put down the Florida States, Alabamas, Kent States, Oregon States). So no, I won't stop with the analogies to Stanford.

27. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

Totally...CU was winning way before coach mac even got here, it can be done. It is all about X's and O's. Get the kids in a position to win comes #1 then a few studs on the team makes the difference, you don't need a whole team full of studs (even though that would be nice).

28. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

When Jim Mora can step in year one with the players that were left behind and the handful of freshmen he recruited and do what he did, there's no excuse.

29. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Ovuck? Is that you?

30. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

Bohn's failings have been widely discussed on this board and IMO, he hasn't gotten a free pass in the failings of the program. However, I'm failing to see how the blame of getting kids into school and equivalent general studies majors as other schools falls on Bohn. Maybe the suggestion is that he needs to fight harder with the administration to get that ball rolling, but ultimately, I believe something like that would fall on DiStephano (and the regents? and the professors?) to push through. Same would go with multi-year contracts for ACs.

Besides that, I thought the idea was that Embree was a Colorado guy who knew all the challenges so that gave him an advantage?