1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school ranking of some stars in NFC champ game

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by cnbuff410, Jan 23, 2011.

1. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

B.J. Raji 2*
    Aaron Rodgers no D-I offer,
    Clay Matthews unranked, USC work-on
    Brian Urlacher WR recruit, had only offers from New Mexico and NM state
    Julius Peppers 5* All-American
    Matt Forte 2* RB
    Devin Hester 5* CB
    A.J. Hawk 3* LB

So some are then-superstars while some are sleepers. Hopefully our coaches can find more of those sleepers, at current stage:)

2. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

How did Rogers end up at Cal if he didn't have any D-1 offers? Was he a Juco?

3. cnbuff410

cnbuff410 Club Member Club Member

he transferred to Cal from a junior college.

4. GregInArlington

GregInArlington Well-Known Member

Dan Hawkins would love this thread

5. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Hester was anything but a 5* CB, even in college (I know he plays WR now). Without his PR and KO return skills he wouldn't be playing today.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

So maybe he should have been rated an "Athlete". Doesn't matter. The guy's an effective NFL WR today and is the most dynamic return man I've ever seen (college and pro). If that's not worthy of 5 stars, I don't know what is.

7. SBG

A lot of this deals with projections though. Some positions are easier to project than others. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6-4.7 40 and didn't start playing until he was a Jr in HS. It takes some guys to mature and they won't blossom until they get the mechanics and game down. Some 2*s end up growing into a much bigger body than expected, or they work their ass off in the gym and do what's necessary.

Rankings are about talent at the current level. Urlacher was a safety in college as well in a 3-3-5 scheme. His HS was 2A or some such and in NM that's almost 7-on-7 (that's 1A, but you get my point). Marques Colston and T.O. are other players that played on the small stage before the league as well. You can go up and down the list. Teams like UT and USC that are built with 4* and 5*s have the athleticism over teams like we've fielded. They may not make it to the NFL for various reasons (can't catch, aren't good against speed rushers, etc...) but on the whole can win on sheer athleticism alone. At the NFL level, all teams--even teams like the Lions and Rams--are just as athletic as everyone else and can "upset" them. You'll never see a 35

8. SBG

That I agree with. The guy is a tremendous athlete, just that it projections don't always work out like you think they will.