What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

High school ranking of some stars in NFC champ game

cnbuff410

Club Member
Club Member
B.J. Raji 2*
Aaron Rodgers no D-I offer,
Clay Matthews unranked, USC work-on
Brian Urlacher WR recruit, had only offers from New Mexico and NM state
Julius Peppers 5* All-American
Matt Forte 2* RB
Devin Hester 5* CB
A.J. Hawk 3* LB

So some are then-superstars while some are sleepers. Hopefully our coaches can find more of those sleepers, at current stage:)

B.J. Raji 2*
Aaron Rodgers no D-I offer,
Clay Matthews unranked, USC work-on
Brian Urlacher WR recruit, had only offers from New Mexico and NM state
Julius Peppers 5* All-American
Matt Forte 2* RB
Devin Hester 5* CB
A.J. Hawk 3* LB

So some are then-superstars while some are sleepers. Hopefully our coaches can find more of those sleepers, at current stage:)

How did Rogers end up at Cal if he didn't have any D-1 offers? Was he a Juco?

Hester was anything but a 5* CB, even in college (I know he plays WR now). Without his PR and KO return skills he wouldn't be playing today.

Hester was anything but a 5* CB, even in college (I know he plays WR now). Without his PR and KO return skills he wouldn't be playing today.

So maybe he should have been rated an "Athlete". Doesn't matter. The guy's an effective NFL WR today and is the most dynamic return man I've ever seen (college and pro). If that's not worthy of 5 stars, I don't know what is.

A lot of this deals with projections though. Some positions are easier to project than others. Jerry Rice ran a 4.6-4.7 40 and didn't start playing until he was a Jr in HS. It takes some guys to mature and they won't blossom until they get the mechanics and game down. Some 2*s end up growing into a much bigger body than expected, or they work their ass off in the gym and do what's necessary.

Rankings are about talent at the current level. Urlacher was a safety in college as well in a 3-3-5 scheme. His HS was 2A or some such and in NM that's almost 7-on-7 (that's 1A, but you get my point). Marques Colston and T.O. are other players that played on the small stage before the league as well. You can go up and down the list. Teams like UT and USC that are built with 4* and 5*s have the athleticism over teams like we've fielded. They may not make it to the NFL for various reasons (can't catch, aren't good against speed rushers, etc...) but on the whole can win on sheer athleticism alone. At the NFL level, all teams--even teams like the Lions and Rams--are just as athletic as everyone else and can "upset" them. You'll never see a 35

So maybe he should have been rated an "Athlete". Doesn't matter. The guy's an effective NFL WR today and is the most dynamic return man I've ever seen (college and pro). If that's not worthy of 5 stars, I don't know what is.

That I agree with. The guy is a tremendous athlete, just that it projections don't always work out like you think they will.

Back