What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Highest Paid State Employee by State

My argument is based upon money but most certainly NOT based upon envy. I would argue that the Penn State scandal largely occurred because of the culture of big time athletics, television and a celebrity society. Clearly these are topics too large to air out in this sort of forum. But I attended a big time school and we won the national championship my senior year (football). I had a classmate, Allen Sack, who has become a professor and has written extensively on this subject. Let me say simply that I subscribe to the attempts of Dr. Sack to point out the need for balance in sports and athletics and that balance has been tilted in recent years. I would also note another classmate, Alan Page, who has spent much of his adult life trying to escape the image of himself as nothing more than a college and NFL star.

Those guys could have gone to School of Mines or NDSU or somewhere else, where football is played at a high level, but without the excess of a Penn State. No one made them attend [big time] university.

If you go to big time u, there will be trade offs.

In a crowded higher ed space, each institution seeks to differentiate themselves.

CU boasts AAU membership as a research institution plus P12 membership plus a gorgeous campus near the mountains populated by Nobel prize winning professors, an alumni list that includes astronauts, and is the home to the best mascot in sports.

The value proposition to Alabama or Red Rocks Community College or Regis is different.

Is anyone really arguing that every university everywhere needs to subscribe to the philosophy of professor Allen Sack?

Let the market work, I say.

This is an interesting discussion.

Can the pursuit of athletic recognition overshadow the primary functions of a university? Absolutely. Is there a correlation between highly paid coaches and those schools that have passed that tipping point? Possibly (though I don't think Joe Paterno was particularly highly paid).

But it's also quite possible that a school with a highly paid football coach recognizes the value of generating excitement for one's University--for present students, prospective students and alumni. That value manifests itself as improved admissions standards, enhanced degree recognition and donations. All of which enhance academic programs.

I'm sure there are schools that have misguided priorities regarding sports. On a personal level, God knows I do. But that raises two questions (that were almost certainly addressed in that book which I didn't read):

1. Is there anything to be done?

2. Is the problem that much more widespread than previous decades?

If the answer to number two is yes, then it begs two more questions.

1. Are we now willing to take chances on superstar athletes that we weren't before?

2. Is this a bad thing?

In regard to number two, it really depends on the accountability demanded of the athlete. It can go either way. But overall, many athletes attend college that would not have otherwise pursued a degree. I don't view this as a bad thing.

My argument is based upon money but most certainly NOT based upon envy. I would argue that the Penn State scandal largely occurred because of the culture of big time athletics, television and a celebrity society. Clearly these are topics too large to air out in this sort of forum. But I attended a big time school and we won the national championship my senior year (football). I had a classmate, Allen Sack, who has become a professor and has written extensively on this subject. Let me say simply that I subscribe to the attempts of Dr. Sack to point out the need for balance in sports and athletics and that balance has been tilted in recent years. I would also note another classmate, Alan Page, who has spent much of his adult life trying to escape the image of himself as nothing more than a college and NFL star.

Wannabe philosopher king!

It's like he knows you personally! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I would like to point out that our university has done a wonderful job over the past decade investing in the University of Colorado campuses in Colorado Springs, Denver, the medical center in Aurora, and the academic facilities in Boulder.

The largest beneficiary in the CU system has been, without a doubt, the medical center. CUCS has also benefitted and is the fastest growing of the campuses.

Student count
CUB ~30,000
CUD (downtown + med) 28,000
CUCS 8,500 <- fastest growing in the CU system.

The number of CU students enrolled at Denver and Colo Springs exceeds the number of students at the flagship campus in Boulder. CU Denver will likely eclipse Boulder at some point in the not to distant future. The cu athletic department has been low on the list of priorities, not withstanding the recent hire of MacIntyre and the facilities project.

Any argument that accuses CU of emphasizing the athletic department over academics is misguided. Such an argument discounts reality.

Now if Kalbuff is arguing that CU is a beacon of light in a very dark world of athletic excess, then I'm open to his arguement. I'd find great enjoyment in hearing about some plan that sets CU apart for the GPAs of the student athletes and fiscal discipline of the athletic department, normalized for the P12 conference change.

I want to hear more about plans to drop a hammer on USC, ASU, Zona, UCLA, Utah, Stanford, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, the entire SEC, and all the schools of the B1G that have school colors that include red, blue, or green.

Neuter those bastards. Just leave CU out of it.

There is no way I would include CU with the likes of Alabama and Ohio State. That is obvious. I have always been proud of CU's academic traditions, and those traditions have a role in the struggle for CU's football team on the national stage. And I don't know how you "drop the hammer" on the schools you mention. I believe the SEC has and will always stew in their own academic mediocrity. Stanford has the most money and Texas is not far behind. Other schools like Oklahoma and USC have such an insurmountable tradition for sports especially football.

Back