What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hire troy calhoun

Oh yeah, I forgot Boise was in a BCS conference..

Missed that.

So, do you think we're going to be able hire a successful head coach away from a BCS school or are you thinking the coordinator route?

Missed that.

So, do you think we're going to be able hire a successful head coach away from a BCS school or are you thinking the coordinator route?

I'm not sure. I've never followed the coaching searches much before so I don't know a lot about it. I'm not sure we are currently in the position to hire away a successful coach from a BCS school, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't look at the possibility. So we will probably have to go for the coordinator route. There are a lot more options there.

My problem with Calhoun is that he is at a military, non-BCS school. CU is a far different animal. I'm not saying he can't be successful here, I'm just very skeptical. My problem with Mac is that he hasn't coached in 16 years and he is very old. He is only being considered because he is our best coach in CU history. We aren't looking at Bowden are we? I don't think we should, I'm just saying if we are looking for the best coach regardless of age, why just Mac?

Does that make sense?

EDIT: And post #8,000 is a serious post. :huh:

Actually I think the last time we did that was when we hired Fairbanks' replacement. I think it worked out ok...

The Weasel. Didn't we take him from UCLA's staff? I don't think he'd had a previous CU connection, but I might be wrong on that.

Can we please look at someone from a BCS conference school and NOT from Colorado and NOT from nostalgia?

Alright -- let's do that. Let's put together a list of potential coaches who have BCS coaching experience (either as coordinators or head football coaches) who could be considered LEGITIMATE candidates for the soon-to-be-vacant CU head coaching position.

Mike Leach (Former Texas Tech head coach, OC at Oklahoma, OC at Kentucky)
Brent Venebles (Current DC at Oklahoma)
Jim McElwain (Current OC at Alabama, was position coach at Louisville and Michigan State)

Others?

The Weasel. Didn't we take him from UCLA's staff? I don't think he'd had a previous CU connection, but I might be wrong on that.

Neueheisel got his coaching start at UCLA. Neueheisel was an assistant coach at UCLA from 1988 - 1993. He came to CU in 1994, on the recommendation of Karl Dorrell - who was then CU's wide receiver coach. (You may recall that McCartney served as CU's quarterback coach in 1993)

Do you all think that DII's constant comments about how difficult it is to win at CU and all his crap to that effect are going to impact the quality of coaches we can expect? It scares me.

After Bzdelik forced Bohn to put in his contract that a practice facility must be built in three years and possibly other improvements, I wonder if any potential football coach is going to ask for something like that. I initially was worried that would limit us to poor candidates, but maybe it can serve as a wake up call to CU that they need to give a renewed commitment to athletics.

Do you all think that DII's constant comments about how difficult it is to win at CU and all his crap to that effect are going to impact the quality of coaches we can expect? It scares me.

After Bzdelik forced Bohn to put in his contract that a practice facility must be built in three years and possibly other improvements, I wonder if any potential football coach is going to ask for something like that. I initially was worried that would limit us to poor candidates, but maybe it can serve as a wake up call to CU that they need to give a renewed commitment to athletics.

Not at all. Most every college football coach wishes they could live in and recruit to Boulder. We also have a winning football history here, just not recently, and are a Big 12 / PAC 10 school. Coach Hawk is (whatever the PC term is for rediculously ****ed up in the head) and most every other coach (assistant and head) in the country knows this.

Alright -- let's do that. Let's put together a list of potential coaches who have BCS coaching experience (either as coordinators or head football coaches) who could be considered LEGITIMATE candidates for the soon-to-be-vacant CU head coaching position.

Mike Leach (Former Texas Tech head coach, OC at Oklahoma, OC at Kentucky)
Brent Venebles (Current DC at Oklahoma)
Jim McElwain (Current OC at Alabama, was position coach at Louisville and Michigan State)

Others?

David Shaw (OC & QB Coach Stanford)
http://www.gostanford.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/shaw_david00.html

Seth Littrell (co-OC/ Te's/RB's Arizona)
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/littrell_seth00.html

Calhoun would probably be an improvement, but I just don't feel too great about him. I won't be all down and out if we hire him, but I won't be overly excited either.

How does everyone's opinion change after AFA loss to San Jose St? I've never been high on him, and I think I've seen this song and dance from the Academy before. They start the year on fire because they're really good at the triple option, but seem to really fade badly down the stretch, which makes me think he's really not all that different from DeBerry.

How does everyone's opinion change after AFA loss to San Diego St? I've never been high on him, and I think I've seen this song and dance from the Academy before. They start the year on fire because they're really good at the triple option, but seem to really fade badly down the stretch, which makes me think he's really not all that different from DeBerry.

it doesnt change my opinion of him in the least...they lost a game... it happens... Whale Vagina St. beat them so what... the reason academy's run the triple option is because it suits the personnel... its a system based on the discipline and it works there because athletic ability the players is mediocre... thats why pro style or spread offenses will never work at the service academies

My opinion of Troy Calhoun is exactly the same as it was before. He is a good coach. His teams play hard. He has been successful everywhere he has been. He is, by all reports, a really solid character guy. I think there are better options out there, but if we ended up with him at CU I'm confident that we'd win more than we lost, field teams that fought for 60 minutes, and wouldn't have any major scandals. Doesn't excite me, but it wouldn't be hard to cheer for either.

If cu hires troy calhoun i'm done with cu. Get somebody who can recruit outside of colorado and quit making I-25 hires.

I think CU should aim a little higher than Calhoun. I just don't see why people are so high on him. Who has he beat this year?

This potential hire has fail written all over it. Why would we go this route after the Hawkins experiment?

You have quite a boner over Calhoun. Just wondering why you are so big on his hire?

im not big on him... i think he could be the right guy... i just think this mac will fix everything nostalgia wave sweeping through the boosters is nonsensical bull****...i would have no faith in him as a coach... i dunno who i want... i know id prefer Calhoun to McCartney and it wouldn't be close...

im not big on him... i think he could be the right guy... i just think this mac will fix everything nostalgia wave sweeping through the boosters is nonsensical bull****...i would have no faith in him as a coach... i dunno who i want... i know id prefer Calhoun to McCartney and it wouldn't be close...

Preaching to the choir. I don't want Mac one bit. I also don't want Calhoun.

Then what the hell is the point of this thread?

Back