What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Hire troy calhoun

mcelwain... sec guys seem to use other coaching jobs to get head coaching job in the sec... i dont think hes stay long enough to make it worth our while
Mac- ive said my peace no need to rehash
Nolan... i would like it but don't think it will happen

so far... calhoun is the best option... give me some more options...maybe you can change my mind

mcelwain... sec guys seem to use other coaching jobs to get head coaching job in the sec... i dont think hes stay long enough to make it worth our while

so far... calhoun is the best option... give me some more options...maybe you can change my mind

McElwain has spent most of his coaching career in the West and is from Montana. He is not your typical SEC assistant.

I wasn't that psyched on Calhoun, but after reading his bio he really has done well at every stop. In his first year, he beat Utah, TCU, and Notre Dame. Lost to Cal by 6 in bowl game. 2008 they beat Houston during the season, then played them again in bowl game and lost. In 2009, lost by 3 to TCU, lost by 7 to Utah, then beat Houston in bowl game. Overall, he's beat up on Navy, new Mexico, SDSU, etc., but has played the BCS schools close but has generally lost. I think the talent disparity becomes too great at the BCS level for Air Force to win.

He has been a coordinator at a BCS school (Wake Forest OC when they led ACC in offense) and in the NFL (OC Houston Texans).

As far as assistant coaches, Calhoun is from the Jim Grobe coaching tree. He would also have contacts in the NFL with the texans and the broncos. This is a much wider exposure than Hawkins could dream of. I believe he could assemble a knowledgeable staff.

CU could do a lot worse it seems. He would also be running a run oriented offense that would be fun to watch and would give PAC 12 teams a fit.

Last edited:

You still avoided the question.

what question?

you mean mac's old and hasnt coached since these players were 2... that seems like a pretty reasonable argument to me

I don't understand the folks who don't like McElwain because he might leave for a bigger job someday...so fu**ing what? If he gets offered a head SEC gig in a few years, it means CU has become a winner which is what I'm looking for.

What message does that send - we want to hire someone better than Hawk, but not so good that he might leave? If that's the case, hire Calhoun, win 7 games a year and be happy that our HC will never get a sniff from any other school.

Calhoun has won exactly zero big games at Air Force, hell even Hawk's win over Oklahaoma is better than any win Calhoun has had at AF. Being the OC for a mediocre Houston Texans team doesn't really impress me either.

I wasn't that psyched on Calhoun, but after reading his bio he really has done well at every stop. In his first year, he beat Utah, TCU, and Notre Dame. Lost to Cal by 6 in bowl game. 2008 they beat Houston during the season, then played them again in bowl game and lost. In 2009, lost by 3 to TCU, lost by 7 to Utah, then beat Houston in bowl game. Overall, he's beat up on Navy, new Mexico, SDSU, etc., but has played the BCS schools close but has generally lost. I think the talent disparity becomes too great at the BCS level for Air Force to win.

He has been a coordinator at a BCS school (Wake Forest OC when they led ACC in offense) and in the NFL (OC Houston Texans).

As far as assistant coaches, Calhoun is from the Jim Grobe coaching tree. He would also have contacts in the NFL with the texans and the broncos. This is a much wider exposure than Hawkins could dream of. I believe he could assemble a knowledgeable staff.

CU could do a lot worse it seems. He would also be running a run oriented offense that would be fun to watch and would give PAC 12 teams a fit.

Out of the names being thrown around, Calhoun is not the one for us, McElwain is a far better option then Calhoun. He is a guy who can compete but not close the deal, much like Barnett.

I don't understand the folks who don't like McElwain because he might leave for a bigger job someday...so fu**ing what? If he gets offered a head SEC gig in a few years, it means CU has become a winner which is what I'm looking for.

What message does that send - we want to hire someone better than Hawk, but not so good that he might leave? If that's the case, hire Calhoun, win 7 games a year and be happy that our HC will never get a sniff from any other school.

Calhoun has won exactly zero big games at Air Force, hell even Hawk's win over Oklahaoma is better than any win Calhoun has had at AF. Being the OC for a mediocre Houston Texans team doesn't really impress me either.

This. I get that Calhoun "almost" beating some good teams is nice, but he hasn't ever beat them. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is wins and losses. I'm actually pretty over the up and coming type coaches that have wowed people with a 8-5 season in some ****ty conference. Give me the OC of the national champions over these types. Look at a few years ago, everyone was all over the Rutgers coach and the Wake Forest coach, as well as Hawk and Turner Gill. We all know about Gill and Hawk, but it's not like Grobe and the Rutgers guy kept their teams flying high.

How many years in is Mullen at Mississippi State? And he already seems to have turned them around to the point they went to Gainesville and pulled out a win.

Back