What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Holy Balls is this legit... or did woody finally have a stroke...

The notion of CU competing with Ivy League or Ivy-League-quality schools in academics is even less realistic than the notion of CU competing with Texas and Florida - coincidentally, both very good schools - annually in football.

So why would DiStefano and Benson have to sign off on it? They have the right to donate their money to any part of the university they see fit, and the university shouldn't turn up their noses at it. I know, the question is answered in the very sentence I bolded, but that should be solely up to the athletic department. Just as the decision on whether or not to fire Hawkins should have been solely up to the athletic department. :huh:

I would like to see this happen as much as anyone on this board, but I don't see DiStefano or Benson allowing anything like this to happen without something in writing that has so many strings attached to it that keeps them from having control and say so, of how, and where the $$$ is spent. Both of these morons fail to see the bigger picture and ROI of 50m that has the potential to get our athletics onto the next level. If this does come to frutition, I'm convinced both of them will find a way to f**k it up!!!

Buffnik - I like the Wisconsin analogy. It fails in one aspect though:

U. of Wisconsin Athletic Dept. Operating Revenue: $95,118,124

CU Athletic Dept. Operating Revenue: $52,631,896

Here are a few factoids that are relevant to this discussion. US News and World Report Academic Rankings:

Princeton - #1
University of Wisc. - #39
CU - #77

CU really needs to stop pretending it is considered in the same academic arena with the likes of Duke, Michigan, Cal or UVa.

Buffnik - I like the Wisconsin analogy. It fails in one aspect though:

U. of Wisconsin Athletic Dept. Operating Revenue: $95,118,124

CU Athletic Dept. Operating Revenue: $52,631,896

Here are a few factoids that are relevant to this discussion. US News and World Report Academic Rankings:

Princeton - #1
University of Wisc. - #39
CU - #77

CU really needs to stop pretending it is considered in the same academic arena with the likes of Duke, Michigan, Cal or UVa.

Wisconsin didn't used to be there. That was really encouraging to me. During this last 20 years when they've grown the AD at Wisconsin, a big reason has been facility upgrades. They added Luxury Boxes to Camp Randall stadium twice this decade and also did a major renovation. The Kohl Center, where they play basketball, wasn't opened until 1998 and is a 17,000+ seat arena.

We need to factor in the disparities between conference revenues. Big 10 sends an estimated $22 million to Wisconsin every year vs the Big 12 sending around $8 million to Colorado. Subtracting that $14 million from Wisconsin so we're apples-to-apples, CU would need to grow its AD by $29 million to be on par. With greater booster participation, greater attendance figures for CU football and basketball (at full price or, better yet, season tix that include a donation), plus success yielding national tv and bowl/tournament revenue that doesn't get divided equally in the Big 12, naming rights to Folsom, etc... I honestly think we can eventually get there. It's got to be staged growth, but the CU AD should have a goal of renovating and expanding Folsom and building a new basketball/volleyball arena within the next decade.

What Wisconsin has accomplished really pumps me up. They're in even more of an NFL state than we are and also have an NBA team (but are a football state). This is do-able.

And, damnit, the CU academics opposed to AD expansion need to look at Wisconsin's academic rating and the fact that they also run clean programs up there. That's another ranking that's attainable, but the school probably can't accomplish it without the millions of dollars in free advertising that successful football and basketball programs will give it to drive applications/selectivity.

Wisconsin also has a mens hockey team that year in year out contends on the big stage and sells out.

With greater revenue, men's and women's ice hockey is something CU should have. And something we should be great at.

i think this would be awesome if it was true. i think that they should set something up where the people who want in the group pay 1 mil to get in but they have to pay a certain annual donation to stay in (i dunno how much, 100k?). it could be some sort of permenant group that way. if these guys are serious about wanting cu to become relevant again and stay that way, that big increase in annual donations would go a long way towards getting there. and if they can afford a million dollar donation, they can afford yearly 100k ones :).

50 million is great, but i don't think just a one time donation of that would really make a huge difference, it would be better to significantly increase annual donations for a long time. what could we do with it that would really make a big difference? using it to build a basketball facility or permenant indoor facility seems like a huge waste to me. basketball sucks and the increased benefit of a permenant indoor facility over a bubble doesn't seem that great to me. unless we use the entire amount to just buy the best coach we can get for like $4 mil a year (which i actually think would be good). but if these boosters want to pay just a one time payment of 50 mil for a permenant advisory role, i don't think that's worth it. it's way too little compared to other schools

With greater revenue, men's and women's ice hockey is something CU should have. And something we should be great at.

CU will not add any sports to the athletic department under Mike Bohn's watch. I'd love to see Baseball and Softball but it won't happen. They want to focus on existing programs.

Yeah - they need to stabilize what they have first. Hockey and Baseball would be awesome tho. I was wondering if they could get a hockey team and use the Broomfield Event Center as the home ice. Yes, it isn't on campus, or even in Boulder, but it would be a cheap option to get a team started. CO is a good hockey state, despite the Avs poor attendance this season, and they would have solid local rivalries already in place.

Baseball and softball, my man. First, Colorado is a very good softball state, baseball maybe not so much. Next, baseball and football go together better in drawing players. A lot of football recruits dismiss us because we don't have baseball. Well, maybe not "a lot," but a few. Thired, the Big XII is a baseball conference, not a hockey conference. Would CU be an independent in hockey? If so, they'd have to travel all over the place which would be expensive.

But, alas, as Buttermaker says, ain't going to happen in old DBT's lifetime.

summer-meeting-photos-194-150x150.jpg

Is George Solich the guy on the left in this photo? I found it on this web site: http://ipams.org/wildcatter/wildcatter-weekly-july-2-2009

If so, I'm almost positive it was him sitting next to Dan Hawkins the entire 2nd half of the basketball game tonight. Mike Bohn was with them for most of the time. I think it was Men's Golf Coach Roy Edwards who was sitting near them hobnobbing too. Phil DiStefano was in my section working the boosters tonight, too. (I'm in Section 8 behind the bench and a lot of boosters sit in Sections 8 and 9).

summer-meeting-photos-194-150x150.jpg

Is George Solich the guy on the left in this photo? I found it on this web site: http://ipams.org/wildcatter/wildcatter-weekly-july-2-2009

If so, I'm almost positive it was him sitting next to Dan Hawkins the entire 2nd half of the basketball game tonight. Mike Bohn was with them for most of the time. I think it was Men's Golf Coach Roy Edwards who was sitting near them hobnobbing too. Phil DiStefano was in my section working the boosters tonight, too. (I'm in Section 8 behind the bench and a lot of boosters sit in Sections 8 and 9).

hope they didn't **** this up. and I hope they noticed that we need some ****ing video boards in that place. Hell, just hang some ****ing big ass HDTV's up there, spend 100k and it would be better.

i red the article... i could tell the tone was it the John McClane to hans gruber ill take it under advisement or was it that they are really considering it

The notion of CU competing with Ivy League or Ivy-League-quality schools in academics is even less realistic than the notion of CU competing with Texas and Florida - coincidentally, both very good schools - annually in football.

He really meant University of Denver.

Back