What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Home Event Special to Colorado's Ski Team

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
Home event special to Colorado's ski team

Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational starts Tuesday
By Brian Howell Buffzone.com
Posted: 01/06/2013 11:04:48 PM MST
Updated: 01/06/2013 11:05:19 PM MST

The Spencer James Nelson Memorial Invitational is always a special event for the Colorado ski team. It's extra special for Buffs senior Max Lamb.

"There's definitely emotions," Lamb said of the event named for his good friend and former CU skier. "It's tough, but at the same time it's motivating."

Nelson, who was from Winter Park, died on Aug. 16, 2010, in a hiking accident near Aspen. Just 20 years old at the time, Nelson was preparing for his sophomore season with the Buffs.

Since last year, the Buffs have honored his life by naming its annual home invitational after Nelson. The event takes place Tuesday and Wednesday at Eldora Mountain Resort.

"Spencer was our dear friend and a skier here," Buffs head coach Richard Rokos said.

With so many of the nation's top teams coming to this event, including Denver, Utah and New Mexico, Lamb said the Buffs feel pressure to perform at their home invitational. Adding Nelson's legacy to the event adds to the pressure, he said.

"This is still the generation that knew Spencer and skied with Spencer, so there's pressure with that, too," he said.

Over time, the emotions associated with this event have changed.

"There's no sorrow involved in it; it's more (remembering) good times," Lamb said.

More than most on the CU team, Lamb had plenty of good times with Nelson and his parents, Peggy Smith and Peter Nelson.

"My (first) year out of high school that I just spent racing, trying to make the national team, I lived with him and his parents," Lamb said. "It's really special for me in that sense, and I know it's special for a couple others on the team."

Nelson's parents are heavily involved with this event, which makes it more special for Lamb and others. Peggy and Peter created and support a fund at CU, which helps to offset the cost of running this meet. They also purchase and donate the awards given to the top skiers; the awards are specially-made belt buckles.

"I'd really like a belt buckle, personally," Lamb said. "It would mean a lot to me and I know it mean a lot to Peter and Peggy. They want to see everybody succeed, especially because the college racing scene is such a tight-knit community that it doesn't make too much of a difference for them, but I know if they could give one to me or the other kid who lived with Spencer that year (Chris Acosta of New Mexico), they'd be very happy to see that."

While the Buffs are sure to take some time to remember Nelson - who would have been a senior on this year's team - they also know they need to take care of business on the slopes. They will compete in the giant slalom on Tuesday and the slalom on Wednesday.

"The level of competition is very high and we are obviously trying to stay in the pack," said Rokos, whose team finished third at the NCAA championships last year. "My expectation is to go to every meet and do well, but it's even more (at a home meet). Everybody is looking forward to coming and doing the best."
Notable
Today at Eldora, the Buffs will compete in a Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association (RMISA) qualifier in the giant slalom. ... The Nordic portion of the Spencer James Memorial will take place Jan. 12-13 at Howelsen Hill in Steamboat Springs.

Follow Brian on Twitter: @BrianHowell33.

Back