What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Honest thoughts on CSU and where CU needs to look for rivalry

Hypothetical question: If you lived in Colorado, were a fan of both Wisconsin and Colorado, and torn between spending discretionary funds to see CU/CSU or making a capital expenditure to meet your dad in Houston to see Wisconsin/LSU the same weekend, which would you do? Assume some concession will need be made to the executive committee to get the cap ex authorized, e.g. exec may insist on joining for trip and combining it with activities somewhat less exciting to me than college football. Plus, the anticipated tit-for-tat in supporting approval for some future cap ex request of theirs. You can anticipate cap ex approval with said concession and some 4 - 8 hours of negotiation time.

Followup question: would doing the H-town trip represent taking a step backwards in adoption of the Buffs as this hypothetical guy's "new second team"?

Hypothetical question: If you lived in Colorado, were a fan of both Wisconsin and Colorado, and torn between spending discretionary funds to see CU/CSU or making a capital expenditure to meet your dad in Houston to see Wisconsin/LSU the same weekend, which would you do? Assume some concession will need be made to the executive committee to get the cap ex authorized, e.g. exec may insist on joining for trip and combining it with activities somewhat less exciting to me than college football. Plus, the anticipated tit-for-tat in supporting approval for some future cap ex request of theirs. You can anticipate cap ex approval with said concession and some 4 - 8 hours of negotiation time.

Followup question: would doing the H-town trip represent taking a step backwards in adoption of the Buffs as this hypothetical guy's "new second team"?

Hell, I'm a CU fan and I'd rather watch LSU/Wisconsin.

Hell, I'm a CU fan and I'd rather watch LSU/Wisconsin.

Houston on August 30th will suck. the only thing worse than attending a college game at just any NFL stadium is attending one indoors in Texas in August.

save lsu for Baton Rouge and save bucky for mad-city.

Direct that money on a Bay Area the junket to watch cu beat cal.

Interesting fact (that most people won't give a $hi+ about)...but only furthers how much I hate CSU and how unimportant I think they are.

CU has a better winning percentage against CSU than Nebraska has against CU.
(Point being, CSU pukes who bitch that we didn't really have a rivalry with Neb because they beat so often have no leg to stan on)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting fact (that most people won't give a $hi+ about)...but only furthers how much I hate CSU and how unimportant I think they are.

CU has a better winning percentage against CSU than Nebraska has against CU.
(Point being, CSU pukes who bitch that we didn't really have a rivalry with Neb because they beat so often have no leg to stan on)

Won't work, you are approaching this thing with logic and reason and they don't know what that means.

You can throw everything at them.
Major conference vs. minor conference.
Lifetime winning percentages
Bowl history including major bowls
Attendance, TV ratings, Ticket prices and revenue
Draft history, all-Americans, Heisman/Butkis/etc. award winners
Head to head record both historical and recent even in the worst stretch of football CU has experienced in decades
Etc. etc. etc.

It won't matter. In their minds we are D1, they are D1, and if they could just get some of our money and attention they would be just as successful and popular as we are.

Couldn't've been worse than the 01 Ducks. That was gross.

Yeah. At least the Buffs would have played like they wanted to be there against the Canes.

My biggest disappointment will always be the '94 Buffs that finished at #3, though. We may some day have a team that talented again, but we'll never be more talented.

The depth on that team was ridiculous when you consider that they could lose Kordell, Salaam, Westbrook, Derek West and Fauria from the offense plus Hudson, Holland, Teddy Johnson and Clavelle from the defense to the draft after that season... and still have enough come back from that group to finish the following year with a #5 ranking.

I need a drink after thinking of that. These memories are becoming bittersweet in recent years. Another reason for CU football to start winning again.

Yeah. At least the Buffs would have played like they wanted to be there against the Canes.

My biggest disappointment will always be the '94 Buffs that finished at #3, though. We may some day have a team that talented again, but we'll never be more talented.

The depth on that team was ridiculous when you consider that they could lose Kordell, Salaam, Westbrook, Derek West and Fauria from the offense plus Hudson, Holland, Teddy Johnson and Clavelle from the defense to the draft after that season... and still have enough come back from that group to finish the following year with a #5 ranking.

I need a drink after thinking of that. These memories are becoming bittersweet in recent years. Another reason for CU football to start winning again.

'94, ah my junior year. That was PAINFUL. The only solace I take in that season is that the Buffs lost on the road to the eventual national champions; what many would consider the most talented Nebraska team ever...but that is a small solace.

Plus, playing high school ball against James Kidd and Rae Carruth made it all that more personal.

DAMM IT 1994

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't've been worse than the 01 Ducks. That was gross.

I think CU would have showed up better against the canes. Likely not have won, but I think they would have embraced the heavy underdog role really well given the Barnett mentality.

I think CU would have showed up better against the canes. Likely not have won, but I think they would have embraced the heavy underdog role really well given the Barnett mentality.

1000% agree. Plus the total let down (of that whole situation) probably deflated them.

I personally hate the lag time between the last game of the season and the bowl games, especially highly rated ones. It is all build up for the media, but ruins every teams routine and totally messes up the offense's time.

Of course I have used the same argument regarding the last super bowl, the Rockies world series, and any other similar loss by Colorado.

I personally hate the lag time between the last game of the season and the bowl games, especially highly rated ones. It is all build up for the media, but ruins every teams routine and totally messes up the offense's time.

Of course I have used the same argument regarding the last super bowl, the Rockies world series, and any other similar loss by Colorado.
Agreed there, ideally you'd have two weeks between the CCGs and when the playoff starts.

Agreed there, ideally you'd have two weeks between the CCGs and when the playoff starts.

If there was any way to run the playoff to get the championship game on New Year's weekend, that would be my preference.

If there was any way to run the playoff to get the championship game on New Year's weekend, that would be my preference.

I think no mostly because the Rose Bowl will ONLY be played on New Year's Day (except Sunday).

Two HUGE issues in that article

1. We have a lot of experience coming back, something the article said we don't. The quality of the players is the question, although I'd argue it's very minor against CSU
2. In his predictions, he says that each team lost their main contributor on offense, yet makes no mention of 80% of their OL being gone and the loss of Gilmore and Barrett

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/6...ate-football-early-preview-colorado-buffaloes

I would argue saying Adkins is a major key to take pressure off Sefo.

Also, don't see CSU scoring 35 points after replacing the strength of their offense (O-Line and Bibbs).

I agree, there offense is not going to be better in the first game of the season after all they lost. Really interesting that the writer left all that off.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2014/6...ate-football-early-preview-colorado-buffaloes

I would argue saying Adkins is a major key to take pressure off Sefo.

Also, don't see CSU scoring 35 points after replacing the strength of their offense (O-Line and Bibbs).

It really is hilarious to read the article from the CSU perspective. According to the author the Buffs are basically the worst team in the nation with too much to overcome while CSU has a record shattering dynamo at QB ready to light us up. Last year's result be damned!!

If the Buffs lose the opener to CSU we're f'd. Seriously. CU has a lot of experience coming back and a lot of talent. Sure, they'll miss PRich, but if we don't have the horses to beat a MWC team then we're doomed.

If the Buffs lose the opener to CSU we're f'd. Seriously. CU has a lot of experience coming back and a lot of talent. Sure, they'll miss PRich, but if we don't have the horses to beat a MWC team then we're doomed.

I am afraid you are correct.

Back