What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Honestly, can Embree survive this season?

How do you compare the rosters they inherited to ours? Rodriguez, at least, has had major success at a BCS school.

It´s difficult, yes, but I don´t believe Arizona, who if memory serves lost quite a few seniors also, has significantly better talent than we do.

If you want to try, here are the Scout recruiting class rankings for Arizona, Arizona State and CU since 2007. Going by this, which is obviously flawed, Arizona´s talent should be somewhere in our ballpark.

The thing is, and the point I am disputing, is that the next coach will have to pull players based on his name alone. Rich Rod is proving that you can win with the talent inherited from someone else. And that gives you something to sell.

Arizona

2007 49
2008 39
2009 47
2010 39
2011 70
2012 46

AVERAGE 48,3

Arizona State

2007 28
2008 17
2009 36
2010 26
2011 64
2012 43

AVERAGE 37,3

Colorado

2007 35
2008 27
2009 57
2010 70
2011 62
2012 29

AVERAGE 46,6

How are all of you sucking Arizona's dick at this point we beat the **** out of them last year. Did we graduate all of our skill? Speed? Effort? Didnt Arizona lose a damn good QB? The difference is solely on our coaches vs thier coaching change at this point.

Have you watched UA and ASU play. Not saying they are worldbeaters but the difference in speed between them and us is scary. They have much more experience and they have much more talent.

That still doesn't excuse our pathetic performances against teams that don't have more talent than we do. CSU is much less talented than we are, Sac State is a friggin FCS school and not a good one at that, and Fresno won 4 games last year as a WAC school.

There is no need to compare us to situations that are not comparable, we are bad enough when you look at the realistic situation.

If we end up 1-11, he and his staff need to go. What I'm worried about is that if they don't let him go this year and he ends up winning 4 games next year. The administration is going to say he is making progress and he will then be in the last year of his contract. Lame duck coach, won't be able to recruit so Bohn will be in the position to give him an extension.

1-11, Bohn needs to cut bait and move on or this is going to get really ugly. It's ugly now but it will get down right sad.

It´s difficult, yes, but I don´t believe Arizona, who if memory serves lost quite a few seniors also, has significantly better talent than we do.

If you want to try, here are the Scout recruiting class rankings for Arizona, Arizona State and CU since 2007. Going by this, which is obviously flawed, Arizona´s talent should be somewhere in our ballpark.

The thing is, and the point I am disputing, is that the next coach will have to pull players based on his name alone. Rich Rod is proving that you can win with the talent inherited from someone else. And that gives you something to sell.

Arizona

2007 49
2008 39
2009 47
2010 39
2011 70
2012 46

AVERAGE 48,3

Arizona State

2007 28
2008 17
2009 36
2010 26
2011 64
2012 43

AVERAGE 37,3

Colorado

2007 35
2008 27
2009 57
2010 70
2011 62
2012 29

AVERAGE 46,6

I appreciate all of your research, and it appears that in theory, anyway, we should be no worse than Arizona. Of course, recruiting behind Cody was part of the problem, being a key position.

I still just don't believe the trio of Benson/DiStephano/Bohn will act against Embree at the end of this year. They'll ignore results and lack of improvement and give him at least a 3rd year.

Once again, I'm surprised so many of you are convinced Embree will be given another year. I'm fairly certain he'll be fired or resign soon after the Utah game. I had high expectations for this staff, but we've lost to the likes of Sac State at home and aren't competitive against quality opposition. It's becoming clear that it's not working out. The coaches said in fall camp that it was like "night and day" compared to last year and clearly that's not the case. Again, I expected Embree and the staff to succeed and really wanted them to, but it's looking less and less likely with every lop-sided loss.

How are all of you sucking Arizona's dick at this point we beat the **** out of them last year. Did we graduate all of our skill? Speed? Effort? Didnt Arizona lose a damn good QB? The difference is solely on our coaches vs thier coaching change at this point.

I'm glad someone finally brought that up. If Arizona has all this amazing talent on the roster for Rodriguez, then why did CU mudhole them last year?

Did CU graduate all their talent and Arizona keep all of theirs? If that's the case then 3 wins is maybe the max that Embree and Co. are capable of.

Other than scandal, who was the last coach to resign anywhere?
And I'm far too lazy to look it up, but how many coaches only last 2 years, no matter how crappy their records were? Turner Gill w/Kansas comes to mind, but I can't think of many others. Until Benson et al show they care about football, I just don't see any action happening other than maybe some changes in the AC positions.

And I'm far too lazy to look it up, but how many coaches only last 2 years, no matter how crappy their records were? Turner Gill w/Kansas comes to mind, but I can't think of many others. Until Benson et al show they care about football, I just don't see any action happening other than maybe some changes in the AC positions.

Washington fired a head coach after 2 seasons.

Oklahoma fired Schnellenberger after 1 season, but they did give John Blake 3 years.

It doesn't happen very often that a new head coach totally bombs, thus necessitating the hook. But it is certainly apropos with Embree.

Once again, I'm surprised so many of you are convinced Embree will be given another year. I'm fairly certain he'll be fired or resign soon after the Utah game. I had high expectations for this staff, but we've lost to the likes of Sac State at home and aren't competitive against quality opposition. It's becoming clear that it's not working out. The coaches said in fall camp that it was like "night and day" compared to last year and clearly that's not the case. Again, I expected Embree and the staff to succeed and really wanted them to, but it's looking less and less likely with every lop-sided loss.

http://www.buffzone.com/football/ci...rado-president-bruce-benson-supports-cu-buffs

Benson said he is being patient with Embree, CU's second-year coach, despite Saturday's record-setting 69-14 loss to Fresno State one week after a loss to Sacramento State, a Football Championship Subdivision school.

"I think players kind of said it all after the game when they said, 'This is the best set of coaches we've ever had and we're really behind them and they're great guys,'" Benson said. "Obviously, people are always going to get upset over something. It's not the first time in my life I've seen people upset.

"All we can say is we have a serious rebuilding."

You don't go out and get beat like this and expect to keep your job, do you? Even the notsogreat triumverate of Benson, DiStephano and Bohn can't possibly keep this staff around after this, can they? This is damaged beyond repair. There's no way to come back from this. It can't be done. They're toast. Failures.
Of course they can, and probably will.

Both Arizona schools have more speed on their benches than we have on the entire roster. You can also argue that their back-up QBs are likely more effective than our starter Webb. Different situations.

That said, and I like Jon Embree, we aren't getting better at the things that our available talent should let us get better at.

Throw out W-L record. Nobody expected us to be close to USC or Oregon this year. What is alarming is losing to schools like Sac State, CSU, and getting bombed by Fresno. It is a problem having no coherent running game, not being able to kick-off, and having more give-aways than a sample booth in a Wal-mart store. The unit that is supposed to be our strongest with depth, talent, and experience, our OL has been an embarassment.

Recruiting has been inconsistent at best with some strong areas (DB, DL, and with Dillon and Sefu QB) but unexplainable in others like OL (where Colorado has had probably the best two years of prospects in history and we got zero) and LB plus the unexplainable failure of EB to bring in a gamechanging RB.

Adding to all this is a seeming unwillingness to recognize our weaknesses and try to address them instead of insisting on maintaining a course that is not only not working but getting worse.

THANK-YOU!!! You summarized sucinctly what the rest of us, including me, have felt about this staff. I like JE. I really do like the guy. I just do not see anyway he can clmb out of the hole he has dug without making substantial changes to his staff. The trick is who can you get that would be willing to accept a month-to-month contract for maybe no more than a year. Tough task but it is one that JE has created. If he wins the first three games we are not having this discussion.

He will get his third year I have no doubt. I hope I am wrong because I do not think he deserves it but if I had to bet money on the outcome, it would be on one more year.

The program is a joke. It's ****ing sad. Without a new coach, I'll have the same ****** attitude.

THANK-YOU!!! You summarized sucinctly what the rest of us, including me, have felt about this staff. I like JE. I really do like the guy. I just do not see anyway he can clmb out of the hole he has dug without making substantial changes to his staff. The trick is who can you get that would be willing to accept a month-to-month contract for maybe no more than a year. Tough task but it is one that JE has created. If he wins the first three games we are not having this discussion.

Absolutely. If Embree at least wins CSU, Sac State and WSU, we are sitting at 3 - 4 and looking at 1 to 2 more winnable games. Not great, but setting up nicely for 2013.

I'm expecting an extension for Embree. GPA records and he has gotten a conference road win in BOTH of his seasons.

He will get his third year I have no doubt. I hope I am wrong because I do not think he deserves it but if I had to bet money on the outcome, it would be on one more year.

And, I'll bet money that the 3rd year is as big a disaster as the 2nd year.

And, I'll bet money that the 3rd year is as big a disaster as the 2nd year.

Not disagreeing at all. I did say that I did not agree with keeping him, just that I thought it would happen. Embo and this staff have no answers, do not understand how to run a program and are just not making enough progress to earn another year. He needs to go but I will only believe when I hear they pulled the pin on him

and this is post 4000!

Yeah these beatdowns are becoming epic. Not sure he is going to survive.

Yep. Much can change with 5 more 40, 50 (even 100 point beatdowns -- god knows what Oregon does to us). It is NOT 100% that Embree & Co get a third year. I don't care what anyone says. A season like this is unacceptable and the uproar is going to get louder and louder with each passing week. Crowds in Folsom of 30k will send a signal as well. Just an absolute shame that this is where we're at. Action is needed ASAP. A 3rd year of this would be beyond devastating (and no, buffaloflyer, with Embree in charge, we aren't going to have some kickass OL next year with Dillion throwing for 5,000 yards and yadda yadda so just stop..). And, again, this myth that this staff is somehow recruiting well is laughable. This class will be a distant 12th in the Pac-12.

How about this for a scenario? Coach X, an unnamed big time coach, puts feelers out through mediaries to CU. These people go to Mike Bohn and tell him Coach X is very interested in coaching the Buffs.

Total fiction, but that is the only scenario I can even imagine that would create a change.

I just created this to use as my signature but I discovered that you have to be a club member to have a signature. Doh! I don't have the $15 spare so the first person to claim it can have it. Just put "Graphic courtesy of Tatanka™" in there please.
Uploaded to my imageshack account at http://imageshack.us/a/img69/4218/buffsplayingbad.jpg
buffsplayingbad.jpg

Last edited:
JE has a real chance of being fired at the end of the season. If we see an exodus of players, like rats leaving a sinking ship, Bohn will take action and make the change. Other than that or JE making a stupid mistake and stepping on his own crank, he will get a 3rd year.

How about this for a scenario? Coach X, an unnamed big time coach, puts feelers out through mediaries to CU. These people go to Mike Bohn and tell him Coach X is very interested in coaching the Buffs.

Total fiction, but that is the only scenario I can even imagine that would create a change.

Sources have just told Allbuffs that Nick Saban may be making contact through intermediaries about coaching the Buffs. SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!

JE has a real chance of being fired at the end of the season. If we see an exodus of players, like rats leaving a sinking ship, Bohn will take action and make the change. Other than that or JE making a stupid mistake and stepping on his own crank, he will get a 3rd year.
There will be no mass exodus of players.

Back