What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How big a blow is this week?

If he didn't want to stay close to home, then why was CU "in the lead" in February? I wouldn't freak out over a kid just deciding to go someplace else. Callahan is going to Auburn. I'm disappointed, but I'm not freaking out. Especially with Mullen kids, you never know what they're going to do. Thurston is a completely different story. I'm admitedly "freaking out" because this is a huge red flag for me.

Remember when Hawk came in and made Cox the starter over White? We were all like "Well, that's weird, but he's a coaching genius, right? I guess he knows what he's doing." Well, one side effect of the Hawk years for me is that when I see something that ain't right, I am not giving the staff the benefit of the doubt. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.

I just think you're looking for excuses to hate. You have not liked the hire from day 1. If we would have hired Nick Saban and this happened you would be saying no big deal.

It sucks, but it's not that big of deal to get worked up over so bad right now. You have to give a new staff a chance. This **** is gonna drive me crazy and I better stay away from this board if this is where we are getting already.

Last edited:
Here is why I am not worried, maybe you should ponder this...
Hawk did a good job of getting instate guys. How did that work out for him? Assuming the worst case that all of the in state guys committed to OOS programs stay that way, it is still not a determinative fact. Until this class looks absolutely ****ed, there is no reason to react strongly.

Another general rule: Never react strongly to recruiting in June. Life is too short, and kids are crazy.

I understand all that and generally agree. The Thurston situation is cause for great concern, though. It's symptomatic of this staff's recruiting efforts, IMO.

Here is why I am not worried, maybe you should ponder this...
Hawk did a good job of getting instate guys. How did that work out for him? Assuming the worst case that all of the in state guys committed to OOS programs stay that way, it is still not a determinative fact. Until this class looks absolutely ****ed, there is no reason to react strongly.

Another general rule: Never react strongly to recruiting in June. Life is too short, and kids are crazy.

And how about the bright spots, how hard we are hitting Cali and Texas. Maybe thats why we lost Thurston maybe they are too focused on the other hot producing areas. Regardless it's gonna take some time to sell our program to ANYBODY. The big step is gonna be wins, after that it gets easier.

This thread has an interesting mix of sunshine and panic...for those of you who are in the panic column, what is it that you propose to do? Surely nobody is calling for another coaching change based on recruiting forecasts some eight months before signing day are they?

Bottom line is the staff put together a pretty good class in short order last year after D II finally got flushed. I am waiting until February before I even think about grading this one out. Losing Thurston, Callahan (sp?) and some of the others is troubling, but no need to panic now IMO.

I wouldn't call it panic, although that's probably not too far off the mark, either. As I pointed out, this is a red flag for me. It's a signal that something is amiss. I was blind to those signals with Hawk because I wanted to believe he was going to get the job done. I want to believe Embree will get the job done, too. But I'm not going to ignore issues when I see them.

As for what to do? There isn't much to do, I'm afraid. Certainly we aren't going to replace a staff that was just hired. Embree is on a pretty long leash. I think it just got a tiny bit shorter, though.

I wouldn't call it panic, although that's probably not too far off the mark, either. As I pointed out, this is a red flag for me. It's a signal that something is amiss. I was blind to those signals with Hawk because I wanted to believe he was going to get the job done. I want to believe Embree will get the job done, too. But I'm not going to ignore issues when I see them.

As for what to do? There isn't much to do, I'm afraid. Certainly we aren't going to replace a staff that was just hired. Embree is on a pretty long leash. I think it just got a tiny bit shorter, though.

:lol::lol:

WOW! Just WOW! ****ing amazing!:rofl:

Hey sackman, why don't you get the balls to call up Embree and talk to him about this issue. He's live right now on 102.3 the Ticket with CJ and Klatt! 720-747-1023

If he didn't want to stay close to home, then why was CU "in the lead" in February? I wouldn't freak out over a kid just deciding to go someplace else. Callahan is going to Auburn. I'm disappointed, but I'm not freaking out. Especially with Mullen kids, you never know what they're going to do. Thurston is a completely different story. I'm admitedly "freaking out" because this is a huge red flag for me.

Remember when Hawk came in and made Cox the starter over White? We were all like "Well, that's weird, but he's a coaching genius, right? I guess he knows what he's doing." Well, one side effect of the Hawk years for me is that when I see something that ain't right, I am not giving the staff the benefit of the doubt. They haven't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Because he's a 18 (17?) year-old kid who doesn't know what the **** he wants. We have no clue why he committed to the Nubs. Lack of attention from the staff, attention from Bo or somebody else at Nebraska.

Regardless, I'm not quite ready to condemn the coaching staff. Hawk did manage to land the top prospects in the state each of his first 3 or 4 years, right? Look where that got us.

Hey sackman, why don't you get the balls to call up Embree and talk to him about this issue. He's live right now on 102.3 the Ticket with CJ and Klatt! 720-747-1023

I am listening and almost called but what can he say? He can't hang the kid out when he is still recruiting him, and won't call out his coach. Asking for a vanilla no-nothing response. Of course, I am also a proponent of waiting for a few years to have a good idea what we have. I hope to see the improvement in effort on the field and coaching this fall, which may, or may not translate into wins. Embo (from the radio show) knows he is working with a pretty big talent deficit. He already said they have to get good at everything effort and studying wise, because we can't out-talent teams this year. So we have to play and not make mistakes, play field position, and play four quarters. If he does get us to a bowl game I would say that this recruiting class will be more than fine.

red flag yes, shorter leash no.

Gotta admit it cracks me up that people think this year's start is "fast," but the only basis for that assumption is the Hawkins years. That guy flat out did not believe in early recruiting. Compared to most of our new Pac-12 counterparts, it is a fairly slow start.

(I know, I know-their early commits are all reaches and our guys are legit players)

Gotta admit it cracks me up that people think this year's start is "fast," but the only basis for that assumption is the Hawkins years. That guy flat out did not believe in early recruiting. Compared to most of our new Pac-12 counterparts, it is a fairly slow start.

(I know, I know-their early commits are all reaches and our guys are legit players)

But I'm panicing.

And 'leash, had I called Embree and asked him about this, he wouldn't be able to say anything, as coaches are not allowed to discuss recruits until their names are on the dotted line. Of course, you know this, so your comment about me growing some balls really seems a little shallow. Regardless of whether I have balls or not, calling into the show wouldn't have accomplished anything at all.

We probably will never know exactly what happened here, unfortunately. And shortening a 10 foot leash to 9 feet 10 inches isn't that big of a deal, folks. Stop trying to turn this into something it isn't. The loss of Thurston is a concern to me. A big concern. I think it indicates a problem somewhere in our recruiting effort. Perhaps you're all fine with that. Nothing to see here. Move along. All's well until NLOI day. I suppose then, that there's no real reason to have a recruiting forum at all on allbuffs. If nothing of importance or worthy of discussion happens until then, why bother, right?

But I'm panicing.

And 'leash, had I called Embree and asked him about this, he wouldn't be able to say anything, as coaches are not allowed to discuss recruits until their names are on the dotted line. Of course, you know this, so your comment about me growing some balls really seems a little shallow. Regardless of whether I have balls or not, calling into the show wouldn't have accomplished anything at all.

I didn't realize this issue was up for debate....:lol:

We probably will never know exactly what happened here, unfortunately. And shortening a 10 foot leash to 9 feet 10 inches isn't that big of a deal, folks. Stop trying to turn this into something it isn't. The loss of Thurston is a concern to me. A big concern. I think it indicates a problem somewhere in our recruiting effort. Perhaps you're all fine with that. Nothing to see here. Move along. All's well until NLOI day. I suppose then, that there's no real reason to have a recruiting forum at all on allbuffs. If nothing of importance or worthy of discussion happens until then, why bother, right?

Second bold: Perhaps, just perhaps, you are wrong and Thurston going to NU is something that Embo, EB or even Mac could not have changed for reasons that have nothing to do with recruiting.

Third bold: You are the only one suggesting we can't discuss it, just because some others may not be ready to fold our tents doesn't mean you may not be proven right, or that there isn't something to be concerned about, just that some of us still have faith...then again, I held out hope D II was not the corn studded turd of a coach I was afraid he was far too long....:bang:

I was comparing to Hawk years as in fast start, we could and need to do a lot better, but I don't really think we can do much better until we start winning on the field.

But I'm panicing.

I know he can't comment, I am just getting really frustrated. I love my buffs, I have had season tickets since I was in diapers, I have seen a lot of good and a lot of bad, my dad played for the buffs. I bleed black and gold just like the rest of you, but it really irritates me when this **** starts so early when a game hasn't been played yet. Buff fans frustrate me sometimes, maybe it's time for a break.

Second bold: Perhaps, just perhaps, you are wrong and Thurston going to NU is something that Embo, EB or even Mac could not have changed for reasons that have nothing to do with recruiting.

Third bold: You are the only one suggesting we can't discuss it, just because some others may not be ready to fold our tents doesn't mean you may not be proven right, or that there isn't something to be concerned about, just that some of us still have faith...then again, I held out hope D II was not the corn studded turd of a coach I was afraid he was far too long....:bang:

So the implication is now that I'm ready to fold the tents?

There are several ways to view this situation: A) "oh well, you win some you lose some. The Buffs are going to be awesome regardless of who we recruit" B) "It's only a flesh wound. No major loss, we're still doing great - look at all the recruits we already have!" or C) "this is a problem. We shouldn't have whiffed on this kid. Something is wrong, here".

I chose C. I think there's something wrong here. This should not have happened. I'm pointing that out. I'm not folding the tents, giving up on the team, the staff, the fans, administrators, towel boys, concession stand employees, beer vendors, etc. I'm not willing to simply shrug this off as a kid who doesn't know what he really wants, either.

There's a big difference between saying "This is a problem, it should not have worked out this way" and "this staff sucks, our coaches suck, we need to start looking for another coach". Yet, that's what I'm now being accused of, seemingly.

There are several ways to view this situation: A) "oh well, you win some you lose some. The Buffs are going to be awesome regardless of who we recruit" B) "It's only a flesh wound. No major loss, we're still doing great - look at all the recruits we already have!" or C) "this is a problem. We shouldn't have whiffed on this kid. Something is wrong, here".

I chose C. I think there's something wrong here. This should not have happened. I'm pointing that out. I'm not folding the tents, giving up on the team, the staff, the fans, administrators, towel boys, concession stand employees, beer vendors, etc. I'm not willing to simply shrug this off as a kid who doesn't know what he really wants, either.

There's a big difference between saying "This is a problem, it should not have worked out this way" and "this staff sucks, our coaches suck, we need to start looking for another coach". Yet, that's what I'm now being accused of, seemingly.

Add I chose D) None of the above. We don't know the truth behind all this, it's early in the recruting year, we aren't even a year into this staff or have seen a single game out of them.

Wow, man, calm down. I am not accusing you being the first to chant "Fire Embree". I understand, you just think losing Thurston is a bigger deal than I do. That's all.

For the record, for CO to have three top 40 OT's and CU whiffs on all three, is a concern. But there may be a perfectly plausible explanation that has nothing to do with Embo and staff, I am willing to let it play out.

I don't know how you can conclusively say "This should not have happened" when you don't know all the facts. For all we know Thurston has a smokin' hot GF who is a niblet. There could be a 100 reasons why he wants to go live that hellhole that we know nothing about.....

Add I chose D) None of the above. We don't know the truth behind all this, it's early in the recruting year, we aren't even a year into this staff or have seen a single game out of them.

Um, no. You chose B.

We haven't had a winning season in 6 years.

I laugh how everybody thinks the sky is falling. When is the last time we've had this many commits this early with the addition of a blue chip QB? Ya we've lost some in-state talent, but it's still early with a lot of talent still out there. I think they are doing a good job right now and we are gonna have to see more production on the field before we see any dramatic changes in recruiting.

And that's fine, but let's be honest about it.

Wow, man, calm down. I am not accusing you being the first to chant "Fire Embree". I understand, you just think losing Thurston is a bigger deal than I do. That's all.

For the record, for CO to have three top 40 OT's and CU whiffs on all three, is a concern. But there may be a perfectly plausible explanation that has nothing to do with Embo and staff, I am willing to let it play out.

I don't know how you can conclusively say "This should not have happened" when you don't know all the facts. For all we know Thurston has a smokin' hot GF who is a niblet. There could be a 100 reasons why he wants to go live that hellhole that we know nothing about.....

OK, but there are inconsistencies in what we're hearing, though. That's what is causing my alarms to go off. Some bogus story about the elimination of the journalism school, when if he wanted to go to a school with a solid journalism program, he wouldn't have gone to Nebraska. Saying CU was in the lead, then not including us in his top three. Those kinds of things don't "just happen". Maybe my concern is unwarranted. Maybe we'll be fine. I hope that is the case, obviously. But I'm not going to be a Pollyana about it, either.

DoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!

It's amazing to me that when Embree does something (or doesn't, in this case), it's a wait and see attitude. When Hawk did (or didn't) do something, he was fair game.

Is it only because Embree is new that he's not held to a higher standard?

It's amazing to me that when Embree does something (or doesn't, in this case), it's a wait and see attitude. When Hawk did (or didn't) do something, he was fair game.

Is it only because Embree is new that he's not held to a higher standard?

Umm, do you not remember the first few years of Hawk? Hell, we all defended him. It wasn't always just DBT :lol:. Every new coach gets a grace period. It gets shorter all the time. But cutting it off before the first game is played... well now, thats a little much.

That said, yes, its a red flag.

Back