What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How big is the Utah game?

Keeping Hawk an extra year hurt, but hiring Embree was worse, IMO. Think about where we would probably be had we hired McElwain instead of Embree.

Put in other terms, it wasn't keeping Hawkins an extra year that set the program back so far, it was who they eventually replaced him with.

Valid point for sure; however, the fact that Hawk stayed on for another season, which completely alienated the fan base, made hiring a former Buff who could "bring back tradition, etc" a very popular move. Think hiring a coach from the outside would've worked after year 4, but so much damage had been done by an 'outsider' by the end of year 5 it needed to be a homegrown guy. To go back to my previous post, we gave ourselves brain damage in the process and made the wrong choice.

All that said, it still hurts that Embree/Bienemy didn't pan out. I really liked both those guys and thought they could recruit the program back where it needed to be. If it weren't so painfully obvious that they were out-schemed every week they could have used more time, but they didn't have the ability to adequately game-plan. Hope both of those guys still feel a part of Buff family and that those wounds heal in time.

Why would it be big? It will be nice for the players and fans but I don't see it as big....3-9 versus 2-10 makes little difference in the minds of recruits.

Even with a win, CU is still in absolute control of the P12 cellar.

It's significant to me. We beat 2 FBS teams last year. It would be nice to improve on that total this year. Being shut out in October and November is not a good look.

It's significant to me. We beat 2 FBS teams last year. It would be nice to improve on that total this year. Being shut out in October and November is not a good look.
Yep. We reached ten straight conference losses yesterday. Every conference game going forward is big until that streak is snapped.

Exactly. Team and coaching staff needs a W to get some momentum going into next year........Everybody would feel a little bit better sitting at 3-9 to end the year with a win over a top 35 Utah team to finish the season.

Need to end the streak and good for players but doesn't mean much in grand scheme of things.

We now have the longest losing conference, we need to beat Utah. Need the momentum. Need victory.

I'm not a big believer in momentum carrying over from the last game of the previous season, particularly from a 3-9 team, but it would be a shame for this team to go winless in conference and an embarrassment for this program so yeah this is a very big game.

Its this big according to...

(o)(o) a hater who has lost all perspective

(o)(o)
to the guy who just wants to see CU win a game

(o)(o) to the guy who is a sunshine pumper

(o)(o) for the fan boy guy who has lost all perspective

(0)(0) for the guy who likes boobs. With giant nipples. Near as I can tell. She is probablly fat.

That reminds me.... where is Orr?

At this point, a win would be great but a loss, meh.

Last edited:
It's big, if for no other reason, than to show we haven't packed it in. That we are still hell bent on winning, that stuff matters to players too. Not just uniforms.

It's big, if for no other reason, than to show we haven't packed it in. That we are still hell bent on winning, that stuff matters to players too. Not just uniforms.

Research has determined that uniforms really don't care about wins and losses. I was as surprised as anybody.

I agree that momentum isn't something that carries forward to the next season.

And I like Luke's point about not packing it in. If there is a player(s) that looks to have quit, or plays like they're just waiting for the season to end, then I hope that player(s) is not welcomed back next year.

Winning gives the players something positive and tangible heading into the off season workouts, spring ball, and summer camp.

A win would be nice, but I would not say it is a BIG game.
The BUFFS are what we thought they were. Looking back on the season. The Buffs are better then we thought they would be - (I predicted 4 wins at the beginning of the season) - I also thought we would be "blown out" of more games.
CU will be better next year due to the rest of the Pac sucking a little more (ie. losing experienced Qb's). I say as of right now, maybe 5 wins next season if the ball bounces our way more. Really need a couple of kids to show up lights out, couple of in coming kids show up ready to play, need a couple of players to really step up their game.
need improvement: running backs, Linebackers, defensive ends, receivers and QB play. Lots of need???
This is going to be a real process and take some time to build. Looking more like 2016/17 season if we recruit better.

Big game. How big on a scale of 1-10? 8. Go Buffs!

I actually think we have a chance against them. This is pitting strengths and weaknesses...our O against their D (strengths) and our D against their O (weaknesses).

This is going to be a real process and take some time to build. Looking more like 2016/17 season if we recruit better.

Utah has a number of linemen that will end up in the NFL. They are also one dimensional. Their O, D and Special teams are all ahead of ours. CU's receivers are better. With all of that, this group has shown an uncanny ability to stay in games. This grittiness was not present over the last couple years and has made this season bearable. I think CU loses this game because their line men will get worn down and Booker will get his yards.

I don't think this is a flag ship, turn the program game. The only thing that turns this ship is recruiting. After Utah beat Stanford a couple weeks ago their coaches first comment was "Every success and failure of this program is a direct result of the staffs efforts in recruiting since entering the Pac 12". (I've put quotes around this when in fact I've paraphrased.) My thought was there is a guy who gets it.

So, this game isn't big. If CU has a top 35 class, that is huge! If CU ranks last in the PAC in recruiting, that is also a big message about the future. This staff has shown that they can do an admirable job with the X's and O's. Now the success of the program rests in the hands of this staffs ability to sign players that are up to the standard of the league they are blessed to coach in.

Back