What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How do we choose which profiles to post?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
This question has come up several times and I thought it would be a good idea to give you guys some insight into the "process".

First thing you need to know about the process is that there is no process. We're flying by the seat of our pants here. :lol:

In general, though, there are several categories that a prospect may fall into that would cause us to start a profile:

1. One of the recruiting services or news organizations that covers recruiting may reveal that CU is in contact with a prospect or has offered a scholarship. We look at Rivals, Scout and ESPN along with some other sites like Cali High Sports, Scouting Ohio and others. Sometimes we'll catch something in a newspaper, on a message board, in a blog, or in twitter.

2. We may come across a guy who peaks our interest. Maybe he has a connection to the program as a Buff legacy, maybe he was being recruited by a CU coach when that coach was on another staff, maybe he played on the same high school team as a Buff player or commit, maybe he is at a need position and we want to get word out to take a look, or maybe he just has a cool name like "Stoudt" or "Stoner".

3. We try to do a pretty thorough job of covering the in-state prospects. Often, you'll see a CO prospect in our database even though he's not likely to be recruited by CU as a scholarship player. There is a lot of interest from members regarding the in-state prospects and some of them do end up at CU as walk ons.

So, now everyone knows our rigorous criteria and process for profiles in the AllBuffs recruiting forums. :wink2:

If you see someone who meets these criteria, please send me (and/or Boulder Buff and/or Alferd Jasper) a Private Message and we'll get a profile up.

Totally random selection on my part.

If I see Colorado mentioned in an article on a football player who at least looks like a D1 prospect, I read a little closer and (if I feel like it and have the time), I'll pull together a profile. The problem with being a "volunteer" is there's no one to delegate lower in command. Either we find the time and inclination, or the kid remains unknown.

Of course, it's my duty to be sure special forces, I mean special teams, have more than their fair share of prospects, since Lord knows we need improvement in that area.

Yeah, I'm still working on it. Once I "get" how to do animation, I'll be unstoppable. I'll, ... I'll ... RULE THE WORLD!

Could be a while.

We're good with what you're doing Nik. It's an endless, thankless task.

I noticed you've tried noting or profiling some recruits who may have been contacted/recruited by members of the new staff before they agreed to be coaches at CU. Is Rivals/Scout, et.al., detailed and accurate enough to really pull this off? If so, great, but if not -- chill, grab a beer, and wonder aimlessly thru the AB threads like the rest of us zombies do. No use killin' yerself.

We don't get all of our information from Scout and Rivals, just sayin'

But (chiming in for Buffnik here), if YOU see a tip on a recruit, don't hesitate to add to the thread or shoot one of us a pm. Sometimes there's some quote in a local paper or blog, a friend of a friend shares insider info, whatever. We'll take what we can find and try to make sense of it.

Back