What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How excited would you be if Troy Calhoun is CU's next head coach

How excited would you be if Troy Calhoun is CU's next head coach?

• Total voters
I would seriously consider giving up on our donations and season tickets, which we have had in the family since 1982.

If Bohn pulls a stunt like this, I think he should go ahead and pack up. Calhoun is not what this program needs heading into the Pac12. Bohn needs to make a "splash" heading into the new conference with a proven HC.

Like I said in a different thread, there are some facts to consider:

1. The Pac-10 is like to the Big 12 just like the ACC is to the SEC. The Buffs will be very different in the Pac-12 down the road compared to the CU that we grew up with. As CU fans, are we truly ready for this change?

2. Troy Calhoun grew up on the west coast in Oregon.

3. Calhoun coached under Jim Grobe who is a very underrated coach and CU fans who haven't lived on the east coast like I did at the time Grobe started coaching at Wake Forest doesn't truly understand that winning at Wake Forest is akin to Vanderbilt or Stanford winning in their respective conferences. You can rip Grobe all you want but given the competiveness of the ACC and the Pac-12, it's not unrealistic to expect some losing seasons once in awhile. That is the same exceptions that Barnett faced at Northwestern and unlike Barnett, there is no dark cloud hovering over Calhoun.

I was skeptical towards Calhoun until I found out those things...now I think Calhoun is a good choice.

Here's Calhoun's biography from wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Calhoun
Calhoun began his NFL career with the Denver Broncos as a defensive assistant in 2003, and later moved to offense and special teams. When Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak was hired as the Texans' head coach, Kubiak brought Calhoun along and made Calhoun his offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Calhoun finished out the 2006 season with the Texans before taking over at Air Force.

I'm almost 100% sure Kubiak was calling the plays at Houston.

I read that Wikipedia page just before you posted it. Calhoun seems like a better fit to me after reading that link.
I guess I'm feeling the complete opposite. This hire scares the **** out of me. It seems like Bohn doesn't learn from his past mistakes. So he's just going to repeat them.

This program needs an established BCS HC. If we can't pull that off, then we should go for a up and coming coordinator from a BCS school. If both options fail, give the reigns to Mac.

Hell no.

Calhoun does know his Xs & Os but he's not a proven recruiter, growing up in Oregon doesn't get him 'west coast' ties in the coaching world and why don't you listen to the man talk sometime....I don't see him wowing a kid to Boulder-

Hell no.

Calhoun does know his Xs & Os but he's not a proven recruiter, growing up in Oregon doesn't get him 'west coast' ties in the coaching world and why don't you listen to the man talk sometime....I don't see him wowing a kid to Boulder-

Will Calhoun have to put in that kind of effort recruiting-wise after the kid visits Boulder?

Recruiting is the main concern to me. Another CU coach with minimal recruiting ability? Yuck

Will Calhoun have to put in that kind of effort recruiting-wise after the kid visits Boulder?
I wish it worked this way, but it doesn't. Calhoun would have to have some top notch coordinators in here.

When you compare him to EB, I think EB has the higher ceiling. Especially in Pac10 country.

Yes. Boulder isn't going to be any prettier under Calhoun than it was under Hawk... :smile2:

Recruiting is one concern I do have about Calhoun at a BCS program. He can coach, but he still needs the players...

That said, I don't buy the rumors that are generating all this hysteria tonight. Not at all. We all know he who isn't being named has a history of using his website to advance his agenda, whether it's pushing a certain coach or trying to inflame people against the AD. He still hasn't gotten over Bohn and Hawk's refusal to kiss his ass...

Calhoun is just a "meh" hire for me. I think he'll do a lot better than Hawk did, but that's not saying much. I also don't think he will bring us many P12 championships either. A solid 6-9 win a year coach. Meh.

I wish it worked this way, but it doesn't. Calhoun would have to have some top notch coordinators in here.

When you compare him to EB, I think EB has the higher ceiling. Especially in Pac10 country.

eric bieniemy has a WAY WAY WAY higher ceiling than some boring ass coach from Air Force.

No matter who we hire, I'm going to be skeptical. **** hopes, I'll wait for the wins.

No matter who we hire, I'm going to be skeptical. **** hopes, I'll wait for the wins.

:stupid: At this point if we were picking between Nick Saban and Bob Stoops, I'd be looking for the way the hire was going to bust. I guess it's kind of a 5 year hangover....

I agree. However, if we hire a Calhoun, I'm pretty sure a lot of booster money will be sitting on the sidelines for a while.

I guess I'm feeling the complete opposite. This hire scares the **** out of me. It seems like Bohn doesn't learn from his past mistakes. So he's just going to repeat them.

That's biggest bullet point with this next hire; CU cannot afford to repeat the last 5 years. We are on the edge of falling into a pit of irrelevancy that would be hard to climb out of.

**** no. I could probably be convinced otherwise, but right now, this is not the hire we need. And it's so damn early in the process, I'm having a hard time believing this is the best we can do.

Good coach. Good man. I believe we'd have good teams under him. Could he be the next Bill Parcells out of Air Force? I don't know. Not my first choice, but he'd have my full support if hired.

I've heard Bohn give his "if you were being recruited to play football, what coach would entice you to come here to CU?" So, presumably, Bohn knows how important recruiting is, and is thinking about the kind of head coach that would get recruits excited to come to CU over the likes of USC & Oregon & the rest of the Pac. Somebody tell me how Calhoun is that guy?

I could be swayed into thinking Calhoun is a decent choice IF I can be convinced he can recruit against our new Pac 12 brothers.... I'm just having a hard time seeing recruiting as his strength.

Calhoun is a safe hire. Like a Dantonio or Tedford, he'll get us at least 7-8 wins per year, but he won't get us over the hump.

How did the last coach we poached from AF work for us? I don't doubt that Calhoun is a good coach, but I don't know how his style translates. He gets to coach highly disciplined people in a setting that is completely different than coaching anywhere other than Army or Navy.

Find someone from a BCS level school, that knows what type of players you need to recruit to win at a BCS level school.

If Calhoun is our first choice to turn things around we should just give up athletics at CU. The Hawkins era sucked, but a turnaround and wining 6-7 games a year and playing in the Dodge the Bullets Being Fired Across the Border bowl in El Paso does not inspire me.

Not too excited, but not devastated either.

But I'd be really pissed if we gave him $2 million.

The only reason that I would be upset about Calhoun getting hired is that I wouldn't feel like the AD went through a real search. I've said in other threads that I would like to see a real search without any arbitrary restrictions (e.g. - must be a "CU" guy).

Back