What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How excited would you be if Troy Calhoun is CU's next head coach

How excited would you be if Troy Calhoun is CU's next head coach?

• Total voters
I think EB will one day be a great head coach but right now this program cannot afford to have a coach learn on the fly, and if Mac were to come to help he too would have to learn some things. EB has only ever been running backs coach in his 10 year coaching career (although i would love to see and AP/Jones-Drew at CU). Looking at Cahoun's resume over about 20 years held posiotions with the defense, special teams, QBs, three OC positions (Ohio, Wake and the Texans) and the head job at Force. I know some one will respond with Kubiak called all the plays in Houston but being OC does not mean "play-caller" (example Helfrich at Oregon) there is still the responibility to coach and prepare the team for the next game. I know the worry is about his recruting ability but that is why teams have coaching staffs. You cant tell me that Bobby Bowden, JoPa, and Mac Brown personally influenced every single recruit to commit in their later years. Calhoun is a young coach with experience and before people toss him under the bus please evaluate all his credentials as well as any other coaches before trashing them.

I think EB will one day be a great head coach but right now this program cannot afford to have a coach learn on the fly, and if Mac were to come to help he too would have to learn some things. EB has only ever been running backs coach in his 10 year coaching career (although i would love to see and AP/Jones-Drew at CU). Looking at Cahoun's resume over about 20 years held posiotions with the defense, special teams, QBs, three OC positions (Ohio, Wake and the Texans) and the head job at Force. I know some one will respond with Kubiak called all the plays in Houston but being OC does not mean "play-caller" (example Helfrich at Oregon) there is still the responibility to coach and prepare the team for the next game. I know the worry is about his recruting ability but that is why teams have coaching staffs. You cant tell me that Bobby Bowden, JoPa, and Mac Brown personally influenced every single recruit to commit in their later years. Calhoun is a young coach with experience and before people toss him under the bus please evaluate all his credentials as well as any other coaches before trashing them.

College football is about recruiting! The no HC experience is crap. As long as he gets a couple coordinators that know Xs and Os we are beyond fine.

It would be par for the course for CU to hire the safe white guy as EB would create too many waves for the stiffs to handle.

If it's down to EB or Calhoun, I think Mac would have one hell of an age discrimination suit. :lol:

Boulder's still a pretty nice place to be for 4 years. Anyone who can get the Buffs to a bowl, and avoid a national media scandal should be able to pull top 25 classes on a pretty regular basis. Hell, D2Danny pulled a top 15 class the one year he managed to almost not have a losing season. I agree that the Buffs are about 2 more blah recruiting classes from going off the deep end talent-wise. That's because his team has sucked out loud for 4 years. It's not because Danny didn't have enough unicorns to go around.

Exhibit A: Nick Saban. By most accounts, Nick Saban is an asshole. When he's not doing a sphincter impression he's about as entertaining as a stump. Nick's dog doesn't even like him.

Exhibit B: Les Miles. Les has the communication skills of a 3rd grader. He thinks complete sentences are dumb. Complete sentences say the feeling is mutual.

Both of these guys recruit lights out every year because they have a track record of having won a ****ton of football games and getting guys ready for the pros.

I think Calhoun is a guy who would win 6-7 games with the guys on the roster next year. I think he could probably stop the bleeding and get us back to 'also receiving votes' status in 3 years. I am officially 'neutral' on Calhoun because I think he might have a hard time getting over the hump at some point and making a run at the top 10. We have someone who's won a nat'l championship IN BOULDER practically begging for the job. I don't see why Bohn would pass on him for unproven commodities.

Winning is more important than anything else in the recruiting equation. It's not magic. Every time the Buffs lose, a unicorn dies. We're about one more losing season away from being Wazzu. I'm not saying that EB automatically could not win 6 games here next year - but it's going to be an uphill battle for anyone. Hiring someone with zero experience at HC or coordinator and expecting them to get'r done is a huge gamble. If the Buffs can't manage a bowl next year, CU football is going to go off a cliff. By 'go off a cliff' I mean not even the occasional weedeater bowl kind of bad, for at least the next 6 yrs.

The only reason that I would be upset about Calhoun getting hired is that I wouldn't feel like the AD went through a real search. I've said in other threads that I would like to see a real search without any arbitrary restrictions (e.g. - must be a "CU" guy).

agree. and Bohn's track records here (BZ, Boyle, Lappe) suggest that's a trend. i like Calhoun but not my #1. or who that is...i dunno. .i'm underwhelmed a bit by the supposed list of Belotti (would be shocked, and kind of a retread factor for me), Calhoun (gamble) and Mac/EB. I also don't like the idea that the donors would withhold donations/hold the program hostage unless it's Mac or EB (who i am still convinced are largely a nostalgia wishlist, but would be happy to be proven wrong by their success at CU a 2nd time).

CU needs more than just a coach who can get us 7-8 wins and keep his players out of trouble - the move to a new conference is an opportunity to invigorate the fanbase and enjoy the spotlight a little, we need a coach that's going to help make CU relevant again. I'm not into hiring the big name coach only for their name, but at this moment CU can make a splash with a big hire - we need someone more exciting that Troy Calhoun.

Let's put it this way. If you are interested in taking the Urban Meyer route (i.e. getting a low-level coach who is on the way up), then Calhoun is a pretty good choice. Peterson and Patterson qualify, but are almost out of our league because of their insane success. Others include Brady Hoke, the Navy coach and maybe the guy from Nevada?

NOOOOO.gif

College football is about recruiting! The no HC experience is crap. As long as he gets a couple coordinators that know Xs and Os we are beyond fine.

It would be par for the course for CU to hire the safe white guy as EB would create too many waves for the stiffs to handle.

Wasnt that the beat on Hawk he was a very good recruiter. He did very will recruiting early. Miller, Simas , Scott, Major, Katoa, Givens, and Kasa were some of his hard fought for guys, he beat out Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Florida for their signatures. But it is evedent there was little coaching to improve these kids. Also I dont understand the theory of a teams corrdinators knowing more about football than the head coach. Look at GBs teams they lacked in the recruiting appeal but they still won. Hawks best season came with the guys GB left behind.

I sure hope Mike Bohn and the search committee have seen this poll. A Troy Calhoun hire will be met with anger in Buff nation

Last edited:
NO WAY. DO NOT HIRE CALHOUN.

First off, who are his assistants? We going to recruit 6-1-220lb DT's? He going to run his triple option in the pac 12? Will he excite alumns,fans and donors.

Be smart committee, this is a crucial hire and calhoun is not it.

Back