What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

How full is the cupboard for the next coach?

DeNiro

My Dixie Wrecked
I think the next coach can win with the pieces we have here. Not national champs or big 12 champs, but a winning record in year 1. We have talented kids here, they just aren't coached up or given playing time.

I think the next coach can win with the pieces we have here. Not national champs or big 12 champs, but a winning record in year 1. We have talented kids here, they just aren't coached up or given playing time.

tough question... if the next coach starts at the end of this season, next year's schedule looks pretty daunting. it isn't like a new coach can come in and beat some cupcakes in the ooc slate. and, if a new coach comes after next year (which, with hawkins, will be another ugly losing season, imho), well, then the new hc will be strapped with a couple more sub-par recruiting classes on top of everything else.

this is going to be a tough ride, no matter how it shakes out. absent a miracle, i think we are probably a good 4 years away from being remotely respectable again. welcome to the world of the baylor bears. when you sit down at a poker table and you don't know who the sucker is, look in the mirror. that's us. the new doormat of the b12.

You give the next guy a 3 year contract. Next year is pretty much a wash. The year after that better be a winning record and if not then he is gone... Give someone else a shot! No more of this 4-5 years at a time crap. You either win or we get someone else in here who can.

The schedule next year is pretty rough, but still I think we're all reasonable. 2-2 with wins over Hawaii and CSU is what is expected. Wins over Georgia and Cal are not expected. It's a lot like the job Sarkisian walked into this year. Washington opened against LSU and then had an easy one vs Idaho, but then had USC coming in.

As to how full the cupboard is, who on earth knows. I thought there was a lot of talent on this team, but it's hard to justify that now considering most of our big time recruits are either gone or riding the bench. Recruiting really has not gone well for Hawk, in fact it's pretty subpar imo. What big time recruits we have swayed have not played or even stuck around. The contributers from the Hawk clases are all mostly unheralded guys, 2 * and 3 *.

You give the next guy a 3 year contract. Next year is pretty much a wash. The year after that better be a winning record and if not then he is gone... Give someone else a shot! No more of this 4-5 years at a time crap. You either win or we get someone else in here who can.

I'm with you, But you'll have to convince Bohn not to go down the same road with the next coach as he did with Hawkins.

Ehh, I don't know about 3 years. I'd be fine with at least 4 years or maybe even 5. If we want a good coach we can't open with offering 3 years and tell him he's out if he's not winning. It's also likely that a new coach will have a completely different identity that the current players might take awhile to get used to. What if he comes in and yells? What if he doesn't hug you when you throw 4 ints. Realistically, with the prevalence of the spread, it's possible we could see a guy bring that in. Luckily we actually have some WRs on the roster next year as well as some decent TEs.

5 years, no extension till year four, like Hawk should have been handled. Unless, of course, he wins a championship in year 2 and 3 :smile2:

I am really concerned that there is going to be a freaking exodus at the end of the season. Apparently, I'm not the only one.

Ehh, I don't know about 3 years. I'd be fine with at least 4 years or maybe even 5. If we want a good coach we can't open with offering 3 years and tell him he's out if he's not winning. It's also likely that a new coach will have a completely different identity that the current players might take awhile to get used to. What if he comes in and yells? What if he doesn't hug you when you throw 4 ints. Realistically, with the prevalence of the spread, it's possible we could see a guy bring that in. Luckily we actually have some WRs on the roster next year as well as some decent TEs.

That is part of the problem of why we are where we are. You tell the next guy that he can have a 2 year contract and he will be evaluated each year to get the extension. We have been burned twice by these buyouts, there can't be a third time.

We are in a slightly different situation than the school that has tons of money to hire the best guy on the market. Most likely we will have to go after an assistant type that will not be a very highly paid coach. There are plenty of guys like that out there that will take the job on those conditions and those are exactly the types that have a high risk that you can't lock into a long contract and get stuck with him.

The problem was the extension, the original contract was fine. I just don't see how you can offer a college coach a 3 year deal and expect him to jump at it. A good coach is going to want 4 if not 5 years. Take the Hawk situation for example, did we really even want to fire him after last year? I was definitely wondering if he was going to lead us to the big time, but it just wouldn't have been right to fire him after last year. He had this year to prove it to us, hell he even had next year if he didn't fall all over himself this year. 4 years is fine by me, but let's keep the buyout low this time Bohn.

IMO the cupboard is in pretty good order. OL depth is good. I can't say why their performance has been shoddy,

RB, Sumler, Lockridge and Stewart are a good group. No FB's though.

WR's oddly enough will be loaded next year. Simmons, Clemons, Simas, Darden, Ussery, McKnight, very good group.

QB? Well TH is talented, but raw. He is a legit B12 talent. The others? Well there are bodies there. Are they players? I have noclue.

TE, a little thin but Deehan is pretty good and Thornton looks like a player.

DL, lots of young talent, Cunningham, Kasa, Bonsu, West, Herrod a decent group.

LB loaded and well coached, Beatty, Rippy, Major, the two frosh

DB Jimmy Smith, J. Brown, Polk, Perkins

A decent coaching staff could take this team to 6-7 wins next year. They surely could take this group up from the point of getting their heads kicked in by 1aa and MAC teams...

hire a "disciplinarian" like Tom Coughlan and CU wins 6-8 games with this team.

this staff beats themselves over-thinking or jerking off 3-4 times a game. the continual timeout situation is hilarious. only TO's left is when we are getting prison-sexed (last week).

not saying hire Tom Coughlan (however the mick Mick spells it), just saying our guys need to play less eggtoss and Buff Ball and more hard ass blocking and tackling.

Yep, I'd like to see that type as well. Which is all the more reason I think he should get at least 4 years, after Hawks version of football coaching, the guys will have a rude awakening for them in store when the new guy rolls into town. Tackling in practice, aggression approved during practice and games, playing tackle football instead of Buff Ball.

I would say there are some significant building blocks in the foundation, but still some huge holes to fill. A new coach could experience a damn decent .500 ish season and then 8 or 9 wins the year after.

Coming in to this season, we all thought (or most of us did, anyway) that with the talent that's here, we should win around 8 games. The talent on the team next year won't be any worse than it is this year. We should win 8 games with a decent coach running the show.

Depends how many pieces leave at the end of the season.

Next year won't be easy with a likely 2-2 OOC record and games at KU NU MU. We certainly shouldn't be anything less than a bowl team, though.

Back