1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is the offensive line?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Duff Man, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Seen it talked about in other threads, but interested to hear some thoughts. My initial impression is very positive, except for Handler. He is experienced, but I don't think he is getting better. Do we see a change anytime this season (not including injuries)?

I think the other four starters are all solid to good.

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Who takes his spot? (Or a guard spot) Irwin is hurt, and no one has said anything about anyone else being ready

3. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

From what I recall, Buffalupa-Gus was having issues with the snaps in the pistol or whaever, formation. I think he is being too careful with those, to the detriment of his overall blocking. Or maybe its just that his hair gets in his eyes too often.

4. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

They were better than I expected in pass blocking, not as effective as I hoped/expected in the run game.

Our tackles are big and athletic, Nembot is still very raw.

Not impressed with our inside three athletically but our guards did okay against the inside guys of CSU who while not quick are good a plugging up space.

Agree on Handler. Don't know if it is because of the confused coaching of the last few years and low expectations but he hasn't shown the consistency and leadership you would expect of a multi-year starter in his senior year.

Snow hit the issue on the head though, after the first five we just don't have options to turn to.

5. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

If it came to that I would guess they move Munyer based on experience. After that Cotner and then maybe Alex Kelley. I understand Huckins may have been getting reps there but I'm sure the plan is to keep the shirt on him barring emergency. To replace Munyer at guard I suppose you could try Handler there, or Kelley since that is a more natural position for him.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

It's an average OL for a BCS program.

It becomes better than average once Nembot takes the next step in his development. Reps, reps, reps.

It becomes a good OL (team stength) if Kelley becomes a better OG than Handler is a C, allowing Munyer to slide in to play C where he would perform at an all-conference level.

7. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Was just going to say the same thing. I think our best hope is for Kelley to improve quickly, allowing us to move Munyer to the C position. I think Kelley could be a good one down the road, but just needs seasoning.

8. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

It's a good early sign if Handler is our weak link

9. BuffClass90

BuffClass90 Banned BANNED

Glad to see the O line performing. After years of disappointment from this group, to have them be adequate to good is a relief.

10. Buffnik

Yeah. He's a solid 5th year senior with good athleticism. He just doesn't get much of a push. It's not that he's a poor OL by any stretch.

11. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

There's no Ethan Adkins :thumbsup:

12. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Pass Blocking was decent but still the same trouble with generating a consistent run game. Then again they were going against csu.

13. Buffenuf

Buffenuf massive tool

You're "righter" than you think! CSU defense was bound and determined to stuff the run game and not get beaten by it. So they got easily beaten by the short passing game instead. Funny how overplaying one aspect, weakens another.

14. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

Nembot is a concern with quick guys. His footwork isn't there.

Crabbe is a really pleasant surprise. Played well.

15. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think the OL is adequate for now. Beating that dead horse, I'd really like to see some depth developed. I'm not sure how many games we'll have where we can realistically substitute in guys to get them that depth, though.

17. azbuff

azbuff Club Member Club Member

Pass blocking was better than I expected. I'd say we are average to good there. Run blocking? Not so much. Someone said it earlier, but Crabb stood out to me on Saturday as better than expected.

18. CUAviator

CUAviator Well-Known Member

The one thing I liked about the run blocking (minus when Jones was in there) was when we needed a yard or two, they stepped up and blew the rams off the ball and we were able to get the first down. Thats 180 out from the past several years. Runs on 2 and 10...meh.

19. Yung Buffalo

Yung Buffalo Club Member Club Member

Just curious (I admittedly no very little about O-Line play) but if Munyer's natural position is at center, why not move Mustoe to right guard so that Munyer can move to center? Is Mustoe not ready? Or is he just not the best option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

20. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

I haven't seen a practice but it's my understanding Mustoe has a lanky frame versus the slightly shorter, stout quality you'd like in an offensive guard. I know Harris played RG last year but he was much further along technique wise.

21. Buffnik

Mustoe's not ready yet. And he also represents pretty much all of our depth at OT, so he needs to get as many practice reps as possible at tackle (game reps too) so that he would be ready if we had an injury.

As the depth chart stands, Mustoe also has to be developed to be our starter at LT next season.

On Sunday, the coaches actually got him in as a blocking TE in a couple situations. That at least has similar footwork as OT since it's at the end of the line. Anyway, it's not a bad idea. But I think that as it currently stands, Kelley is better at guard than Mustoe is at guard and Handler is better at center than Kelley is at guard.

Honestly, I'd be happy if an OL of Harris-Crabb-Handler-Munyer-Nembot held up all year and the coaches could systematically develop Mustoe, Kelley and Cotner as quality backups while redshirting all of the freshmen.

22. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

This offense is great for what we have up front. I actually like Handler but it could just be positive beard bias. His beard is awesome. I am envious but I just can't show up at work looking like an xl Dan Haggerty. As far as the ol goes, if we stay healthy and continue to get production from Wood and our receivers in the passing game, the running game will open up.m The 3 step drops are helping Nembot tremendously and I think the pass block light will come on for him some time is season. When it does he could be all-world. I like this bunch and believe they will improve as a unit greatly as long as they maintain continuity by staying healthy. Notice there were very few, if any, holding or false starts. That is a sign of a well-coached unit that is playing together. I am optimistic.

23. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

So you don't see Nembot being moved to LT?

24. Buffnik

Nope. Athletically, he could certainly do it. But there's so much he has to improve on his techniques right now. He is not currently very good in pass protection. Since it's not natural for him yet, I don't see Nembot being able to make the switch of sides next season and master the opposite footwork.