1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how good is the texas DL?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by jrod212, Oct 2, 2008.

1. jrod212

jrod212 Member

i hear that they are going to put a lot of pressure on cody. do you think their line is better than fsu's?

2. Highflyer

Highflyer Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Collectively they are better:huh:

3. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Don't they lead the nation in sacks? Lots of pressure on Cody is something we definitely need to prevent

4. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Who have they played? This is a serious question. I don't know. Isn't it like UTEP and Rice? I suspect CU is the best team they have faced so far.

5. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

They've played essentially noone...they beat up Florida Atlantic (1-4 record), UTEP (1-3), Rice (2-2) & Arkansas (2-2)....all games have been played in Texas and all 4 teams are pretty bad...so to annoint their DL as unstoppable against opponents like this is a little questionable

6. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

I have a Texas DL.
    It works for buying beer and for getting through the TSA line at the airport.
    But I'd rather have a Colorado DL.

SJBuff likes this.
  7. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Of the 4 Texas games, only UTEP has been able to rush for more than 60 yards (thus explaining why they had the closest game of the 4 thus far)....all of their opponents have had success passing the ball....I think CU being able to rush the ball just a little bit will help a TON here

It will also be key to try and win or at least stay even in the turnover game as Texas I believe has only turned the ball over 1 and has forced a TON!

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Pura Vida Club Member

FSU's first 3 opponents rushed for 59, 29, and 57. Buffs ran for 124 - add back 30 for yds lost on sacks (which counts against rushing totals) and we're at 154. No great, but better than the rest. Losing Miller will hurt, but we'll be able to keep them honest with Speedy and Scott

9. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

If the Buffs give them a steady diet of the RB rotation the Texas line should get tired and give Cody a little more comfort when he drops back to pass. Their power DT Roy Miller is a monster and their quick DT rotation of Lamarr Houston and Aaron Lewis get to the QB in no time flat (converted ends). DT is a thin position for Texas past those three guys but they are VERY deep at DE. Losing Tau, Faatagi, MTM, Maivia and Miller for the season is a potential distater for Cody and may keep Scotty and J-Fly empty handed for much of the night.

10. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

to go along with what aik said.... tu's 2 starting defensive ends, Melton and Orokpu (sp) are both converted running backs and really get to the QB quick. also muschamp lines lb sergio kindle up on the line as a pass rusher at times and he is very quick off the line.

11. edhookem

edhookem Member

Orakpo, Melton...backed by Kindle and Norton (although he has been dinged up) make for a solid core to the interior of the Defense...We do lead the nation in sakcs (4/gm) but as most have stated it was against pretty weak OL's...but hey that is what you are supposed to do...last year we didn't get pressure even on weak teams....Muschamp has come in and instilled a sense of urgency with this group....the fundamental difference I see between this years team (not just Defense) and last years is that this team is physical and plays hard on every play...something that Texas has lacked in the past few years.

12. FSU>Colorado

FSU>Colorado Guest

Their D-Line is NOT better than ours! PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

13. edhookem

edhookem Member

I'll take that bet.

14. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

These stats have a lot to do with UT's O as well as the D. When you're losing 35-3 you don't run the ball much. The D needs to hold UT to FGs and the O needs to keep it close in the first half. If we can get to the second half within 10 points of these guys and I think it's a nail biter to the end. But, if they get up much more than 14 or 17 and we are going to get killed real bad.

jrod212 likes this.
  15. broncos1

broncos1 Member

I think I would take FSU's DE Everette Brown over anybody on the Texas squad. Orakpo is close but Brown is a manimal

16. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i think the bigger issue for CU is that our ol is markedly less experienced and deep than it was just a few weeks ago.

the texas dl is very good. our ol is very green and we won't be able to sub in guys to keep them fresh.

whether the texas dl is better than the fsu dl is a bit irrelevant.

we need our Buffs to play lights out in this one and it needs to start up front. we've got the rbs. we could use another playmaker at wideout but our guys are serviceable. i like our tes and fbs. if cody plays at the top of his game (and that will also require that he isn't getting crushed by porous pass protection on every play), CU will have a chance.

GO BUFFS!

17. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

Here is where the difference with FSU is. Texas offense is much better than FSU's so the Longhorns get up on people by several scores early and the opposing offense is left having to throw to catch up and the UT defense can just pin back their ears and rush the passer.

I think the key is for the CU defense to hold down the scoring so CU can stay in a balanced offense.

18. edhookem

edhookem Member

I rest my case

19. FSU>Colorado

FSU>Colorado Guest

rest your case? Too bad you didn't see our d-line vs Miami. Every team matches up against every team differently so your opinion holds no weight to me.

20. edhookem

edhookem Member

Yeah Miami is a real powerhouse...did anyone even realize FSU and Miami were playing last weekend outside of the state of Florida?

21. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Boy that FSU/Miami game sure has lost some of the luster....

At any rate - teams matchup w/ each other differently. Our OL is in shambles so any team with a physical and athletic DL is gonna fare well versus CU. It is what it is.

BTW - Thoughts on OU? Personally, I think OU wins. More of a balanced offense. I think OU is equally as talented as UT on defense. UT will have a hard time running on OU as well. I know its a rivalry and anything can happen, but matchup wise - I think OU will limit your offense. No flame. JMHO

22. FSU>Colorado

FSU>Colorado Guest

You played COLORADO!!! We played a team that recruits in South Florida home to the best players in the country. So really what you said isn't saying much.

Miami>Colorado (no offense to the fellas on here, your program is on the come up)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2008
  23. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

FSU DT's weren't as good like that Texas kid Miller at DT..

FSU had more speed on the edge than Texas..

I'd consider it a wash..

24. Lord Helmet

Lord Helmet Member

Miller was dominate. UT interior push just killed us. One thing i noticed out of both teams was lateral speed and pursuit to the ball. Just dominating.

25. sessamoid

sessamoid 33% Graduation Rate

You mean "LAST PLACE IN THE ACC" Miami, which ranks #106 nationally in total offense? Color me unimpressed.

26. 2HellNback

2HellNback Well-Known Member

I watched the replay of the game today. On the WR pass from McKnight to DScott go back and look who is running with him.

Obviously D Scott had him beat, but Texas's DE was the one covering him and keeping up with him way more than a Defensive End should...:wow:

27. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

hard to say for sure because our ol is going in the wrong direction, but, fwiw, i thought texas was a far better team than fsu. if ut can beat ou, they are a national championship contender. fsu is a great team, but not close to being a team in the hunt for the nc.

28. Daaah

Daaah Club Member Club Member

When UT was clicking on their timing routes, they were totally bad-ass.

I might point out, though, that our oline is completely decimated. The Texas D-Line looked really, really good, but I'm not sold yet. Let's see how they do against OU next week.

Texas' secondary is suspect and before I call them a national title contender, I want to see how that defense holds up against an offense that can block.

29. edhookem

edhookem Member

30. FSU>Colorado

FSU>Colorado Guest

I'm a Texas fan now...go Horns!

12th year in a row FSU/Miami and Texas/Oklahoma have followed the same pattern. FSU and Texas always win and lose together.

2008: FSU and Texas win
    2007: Miami and OU win
    2006: FSU and Texas win
    2005: FSU and Texas win
    2004: Miami and OU win
    2003: Miami and OU win
    2002: Miami and OU win
    2001: Miami and OU win
    2000: Miami and OU win
    1999: FSU and Texas win
    1998: FSU and Texas win
    1997: FSU and Texas win