1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is Walters as a WR Coach?

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by boydbuff, Sep 30, 2014.

1. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

Obviously PRich had gobs of natural talent but it sure seemed like he blossomed under Walters guidance.

Now Spruce, who might have less natural talent, at least less top end speed, is tearing up the Pac 12 and leading the nation in many stats, with Sefo, a true Sophomore QB at the helm.

I have heard some of the receivers, including Spruce talk up Walters but I am starting to think that Walters is not only one of our best recruiters but he may be our best position coach. On top of his own success in College and the NFL, you would think he will start to rake in some blue chip receivers.

Thoughts?

2. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

Already has:
    4* Shay Fields

3. boydbuff

True although I understood Walters gave more of an assist on Fields but I could be wrong. Either way, I'll take 1-2 Fields every class including 2015.

4. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

Someone needs to start. I like the Gordon and Falo pickups but, all these unrated and 2*s are worrisome. The entire class seems to be "a find" beyond Lynott.

5. boydbuff

6. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

We need to be ready to match any offer that is given to him. With possible opening at UF and UM, new head coaches could be looking for a good WR coach, gotta be ready to pay him what he's worth.

7. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

You're acknowledging the possibility of a coaching change at UF now? Before the season you said I was crazy with that speculation.

8. FLounder

I didn't see that Bama game coming preseason. His defense got absolutely smeared.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Fair enough. Seat's gonna get real hot if the Gators don't take care of business on the road at Tennessee this week.

10. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

Boyd, not sure where you get the idea that "Spruce has less natural talent" than P-Rich. Clearly the numbers say otherwise. I see two receivers who are tremendously talented who both worked their butts off to get to the top of the conference.

11. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

We are also seeing McCulloch being utilized and performing like he should, his improvement is definitely noticeable. DD is a solid receiver now; Fields has gotten better from game 1 to now; Bobo is coming along... All of the players that Walters is working with are improving and are becoming more valuable to this team.

12. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

going to be the hardest coach to hang onto in my opinion

13. cubuffs11

cubuffs11 Club Member Club Member

Maybe RG/Mac2 should give Walters one of the long-term contracts to keep him around.

14. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

+1. Prich has elite speed, but I'm struggling to think of receivers that were better at the actual act of catching the ball.

15. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

If it is a catch in traffic to get first down yardage or a jump ball in the end zone I would take Spruce over PRich. If it is a deep slant designed to catch the ball in space and get YAC or man to man single coverage I choose Richardson.

It's fun that we are actually able to have this discussion though. I was pretty worried when we lost #6.

16. WasianCU

WasianCU Club Member Club Member

The university can only give 6ish multi-year deals right? I don't remember the exact number, but where are they being used now? HCMM, OC, DC, Tad, Lappe and who else?

17. BeBe

BeBe Club Member Club Member

I believe VB HC Kritza

18. RK

RK UBL Club Member

Didn't see it mentioned on here, but at the Tuesday presser I basically asked Nelson the question posed by OP.

His response was along the lines of: I don't know if there is a better wide receivers coach in the nation... Whenever he talks I try to soak up everything he is saying.

chitownbuff likes this.
  19. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

What made you think Muschamp could go to Bryant Denny and be competitive for 4 quarters?

20. FLounder

All the talent on the team, though it's young.

21. goalline

goalline Club Member Club Member

The limit is on the entire University, not just the athletic department. I think Benson has a multi-year deal, or if he doesn't count the AD does. Only MM and Baer have it from the football team.

22. boydbuff

I believe EB was the 1st ever non head fb coach to get a lt contract and now baer has it. Unless rules change we cant offer any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

FIFY.